Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tigger92

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2009
North Carolina
This somehow shows how pathetic Apple fanbois nowadays, they just love Apple, but no facts. Samsung is one of the largest heavy industries on earth today, Samsung even involved in building skyscrapers in UAE and some of the largest container ships today. If you just know Samsung of their washing machine, I suggest you should never travel to UAE or trust any shipping company.

And moreover, your iPhone and iPad has 90% of parts made by Samsung, maybe Apple just designed and made the bodyshell themselves!

When I open up a brand new cMBP or Mac Mini, the first thing I see are two Samsung RAM, so what's happened? Apple trusts a washing machine manufacturer as their parts manufacturer?

Again. please cite the list of components that show 90%. Not disputing your claim...just want to see something to back up what you are claiming

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Please re-read the comment I quoted, it would qualify as an immature argument because it's a lame accusation and has nothing to do with the thread topic. Who cares if Samsung builds skyscrapers? It's completely unrelated to anything discussed on macrumors.

I don't agree with the response and reducing people to "fanbois." But part of his rebuttal and bringing in what Samsung does was relevant.

"My money is still on Apple - I don't trust a washing machine manufacturer as a phone maker."

Samsung is one of the largest heavy industries on earth today, Samsung even involved in building skyscrapers in UAE and some of the largest container ships today. If you just know Samsung of their washing machine, I suggest you should never travel to UAE or trust any shipping company."

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Why settle? Samsung have won a lot of their cases against Apple. The lawsuit in the US that Apple won is questionable and will go to appeal.

dmelgar

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
Not surprising.
Unrepentant stealing, unethical company wants to keep stealing. They'll stoop to anything to "win". And android fans will support this behavior because of samsungs advertising.

realeric

macrumors 65816
Jun 19, 2009
United States
Samsung has the money for lawyers. They are larger than HTC, and can afford the fight. I must say though, Apple is becoming a patent troll. On some issues, I side with Apple, but these other claims are absurd.

You even don't know what you don't know. A patent troll does not do their own business.

turtlez

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2012
What's with all the iPhone is a samsung phone because it has samsung components? If components were what identified a phone we would all be walking around with wires hanging out of our pockets. Apple are pissed off at samsung for copying their design.

The big difference is Apple pays for samsung components where Samsung steals Apple designs. YOU GET IT FANDROIDS?!

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Not surprising.
Unrepentant stealing, unethical company wants to keep stealing. They'll stoop to anything to "win". And android fans will support this behavior because of samsungs advertising.

I don't think stealing means what you think it does. Nothing has been stolen. If you want to argue they have copied and/or something similar - argue that point. But What has Samsung "stole" ?

----------

What's with all the iPhone is a samsung phone because it has samsung components? If components were what identified a phone we would all be walking around with wires hanging out of our pockets. Apple are pissed off at samsung for copying their design.

The big difference is Apple pays for samsung components where Samsung steals Apple designs. YOU GET IT FANDROIDS?!

Sorry - But are you suggesting that Apple pays for everything they make and everything in iOS and has never "stolen" anything which they either never had to pay for and/or were litigated against?

Are you new?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
the new patent apple got is even more redic, the flip animation of book pages, seriously u can patent something like this in the US? insane

its also quite suspicious how samsung seems to win many cases besides in the home country of apple.

jury who has no idea about patents or even technical skills whatsoever:

hmmm i dont know what that even means but apple is american right? so they should probably win, lets vote in favor of apple

i dont even own an android device but if samsung stole the idea of an GS3 or Note 2, i say KEEP COPYING. those devices are great but too big for me. apple just wants to destroy its competition

the latest galaxy devices have as much in common with apple as the nokia 5110 with an blackberry. i dont know how its bad for customers if one company takes the "idea" of another company and improves it. i like to have choices/options

Last edited:

garybUK

Jun 3, 2002
Thing is, i don't think anyone can say the Note / Note 2 / GS3 / GS2 are anything like iPhones these days, but these only got popular due to earlier designs looking 'like' iphones (galaxy ace), they got a leg up being the 'cheaper iphone'. Blatent copying.

Why should they have success in a product when they stole ideas that led up to them? I guess all these anti-Apple people would be peeved if they released a successful product for some korean company to come and copy it and make a shed load of money out of it??

However, i think it's gotten stupid now, these litigations need to stop.

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA
I'm sure the high profile legal battles are increasing samsung's sales and revenues. My next phone will be an android, either the gs3 or the gs4, depending on how patient I am.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Samsung is used to throwing their weight around in Korea and getting away with it. They haven't quite gotten it through their thick skulls

Korea != United States.

We don't tolerate rip off artists here.

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
That is ironically also a statement that sounds like it's coming from a fanboy.

That and/or a net nerd. I have turned the "blow it out the water" into an overused phrase for everything now.

Why would electronics be in water??? LMFAO

Last edited by a moderator:

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Does samsuck even have a R and D team? Or just a copy and duplicate team? I can't wait for the day that Apple has different suppliers and nothing is made by samsuck.

Be very very careful what you wish for. If your dreams come true and your *****ing about next years displays in your Apple products..... karma ;)

MMOTotal

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2012
Azeroth
This is actually getting really amusing to watch now. Sit back, relax and watch these massive corporations fight each other.

They should make a movie about it !:p

neuropsychguy

macrumors 68020
Sep 29, 2008
And moreover, your iPhone and iPad has 90% of parts made by Samsung, maybe Apple just designed and made the bodyshell themselves!

That is exactly why Apple is going after Samsung (even though it's not really true that 90% of iPhone/iPad parts are made by Samsung - important ones are though). Why do you think Apple is so focused on Samsung? Because Samsung made/makes many parts for the iPhone and iPad and then comes out with products that look and act similar to Apple's. Samsung has built in corporate & IP espionage and they took advantage of it, hoping Apple was too dumb to notice. Apple sued and here we are, years later.

Also, don't forget that Nokia started the smartphone patent war with its Oct 22, 2009 lawsuit. Apple counter-sued and then picked on HTC (that's essentially what the recent settlement was over so it was a fightworth picking). Motorola then sued Apple and Apple counter-sued them. The wars kept expanding.

I'm not giving Apple a free pass, they've probably sued more than they should have but Nokia started the war.

Apple started the battle with Samsung but the war had been going on for nearly 1.5 years already. Of all of the suits, the ones against Samsung are the most worthy because of the (generally unstated) fact that Samsung abused their insider position with Apple in order to make competing devices.

While some of the patents granted to all of the companies might be ridiculous, that's a separate issue. The fact is that patents were granted and the companies are trying to defend them, which unfortunately takes lawsuits.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
Of all of the suits, the ones against Samsung are the most worthy because of the (generally unstated) fact that Samsung abused their insider position with Apple in order to make competing devices.

Do you really believe that you need insider knowledge to copy a design or some icons? Really?

You can't be so naive.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Great idea. And let competitors copy them.... who cares. :rolleyes:

Good point.

At the end of the day - no one is forcing a phone into your hand. So as long as you get to use the phone you want - who cares what someone else is making or using.

Companies don't decide which products sell. Customers do.

steve119

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2012
Scotland, land of the haggis
I need to ask this question to all the samsung lovers on here, and bearing in mind I have a TV and surround system made by samsung(they do awesome tv's), but do you honestly believe that the engineers in the company that have been handed a design by apple thought to themselves, 'wow! thats awesome, but we must not copy it'?:rolleyes:

I don't think so somehow.;)

There has been reports that some people in the company warned about the litigation that has happened, so how can you say that this is all apple?

They are not being greedy, they are looking after their own best interests, as are samsung, it takes two to tango.:cool:

cmChimera

macrumors 601
Feb 12, 2010
Perhaps because the terms Apple wants aren't in line with what Samsung should be accepting?

Why should Samsung settle for anything less than the value they believe their IP, etc is worth any more/less than Apple should?

This article says Samsung doesn't want to settle. It says nothing about Apple wanting to settle. It's possible that Apple has the same exact attitude.

And if they do that's fine. But what I'm trying to say is that Apple is not bullying them. Both companies are exercising their right to litigate. There is no need to be mad at either company.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Samsung is used to throwing their weight around in Korea and getting away with it. They haven't quite gotten it through their thick skulls

Korea != United States.

We don't tolerate rip off artists here.

orly....... Last Time I must have been in another New York recently that had fake Luis Vuitton, Rolex, sunglasses..... ripped off DVD.... etc

I am 100% behind

Korea != United States.

as Soon as Apple accepts

United States != World

;)

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
I am quite sure Apple isn't interested either in a settlement - 20% increase in prices for Apple from Samsung, Apple is findings other suppliers for its hardware.

This thing is going thermonuclear, as predicted.

My money is still on Apple - I don't trust a washing machine manufacturer as a phone maker. :D

FYI the "washing machine manufacturer" also built this:

220px-Petronas_Panorama_II.jpg

... and this

BurjDubai-A06.jpg

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.