Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I wonder how much Samsung pays people to come here and rebutt stuff said about them. These days it seems many MR posters are more passionate about defending Samsung as the greatest thing since sliced bread. Isn't there a pro-Samsung website/forum where you could do that? Why would anyone come to a site called MacRumors to read about how great and wonderful Samsung is?

sc4rf4c3

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
I wonder how much Samsung pays people to come here and rebutt stuff said about them. These days it seems many MR posters are more passionate about defending Samsung as the greatest thing since sliced bread. Isn't there a pro-Samsung website/forum where you could do that? Why would anyone come to a site called MacRumors to read about how great and wonderful Samsung is?

Because this so called MacRumors website is posting stuff about Samsung. FFS think before you post.

MacCurry

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006
It's a little more like leapfrog, but I know that's hard to see when Samsung releases 10 smartphones to each iPhone.

----------

You're the only one slicing and dicing here. There's nothing dubious about it, if I made one product why would I put 20% of revenue into research and development of that one product? It's pointless. Assets are not revenue, that's also a little of your slicing and dicing going on.

If Samsung spends 10 billion on R&D but has 1000 different projects to spread that across, including freighter manufacturing and washing machine manufacturing, how does that benefit the 10 nm SoC?

It may seem dubious because it opposes your argument but these are simple facts that you don't want to see injected - much easier to just use big numbers and make the claim that everything Apple does is wrong.

We are talking about Samsung Electronics, yes Samsung has many more divisions, but Samsung Electronics spends more on R&D than Apple does. From SEC filings in 2011 Apple spent $3.4 billion in R&D, the last figures I have for Samsung Electronics goes back a few years when it was $5.4 billion, today it is nearly $10 billion. I have no estimate as to how much the Samsung conglomerate spent on R&D in the last year.

What you don't seem to understand is that through R&D spending you get new products and is not tied to specific product lines. Your logic is flawed.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA

Less tin foil next time.

Because this so called MacRumors website is posting stuff about Samsung. FFS think before you post.

Exactly.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
We are talking about Samsung Electronics, yes Samsung has many more divisions, but Samsung Electronics spends more on R&D than Apple does. From SEC filings in 2011 Apple spent $3.4 billion in R&D, the last figures I have for Samsung Electronics goes back a few years when it was $5.4 billion.

What you don't seem to understand is that through R&D spending you get new products. Your logic is flawed.

But samsung electronics also makes many more products than Apple, which would explain a higher R&D. But a direct comparison may not make sense for other reasons, for example how well the R&D budget is used would affect the amount spent and so on.

MacCurry

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006
But samsung electronics also makes many more products than Apple, which would explain a higher R&D. But a direct comparison may not make sense for other reasons, for example how well the R&D budget is used would affect the amount spent and so on.

Samsung Electronics is spending big for R&D on chip making and displays (OLED). This will benefit all of us with cutting edge products at lower cost. It is directly relevant to what Apple is spending on R&D.

MacCurry

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2006

No one here is being paid by Samsung. We are the original Mac fans before iOS existed and before the iToys came along. MacRumors has changed quite a bit in the last 5 years for quality of posts. Its still here in the Mac forums and perhaps the site can be split between iOS Rumors and MacRumors.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar

If you know where I have to send my resumee to be paid by Samsung, Apple or Google, please, tell me, I will create a nick for every company that pays for defending it.

hamkor04

macrumors 6502
Apr 10, 2011
I am quite sure Apple isn't interested either in a settlement - 20% increase in prices for Apple from Samsung, Apple is findings other suppliers for its hardware.

This thing is going thermonuclear, as predicted.

My money is still on Apple - I don't trust a washing machine manufacturer as a phone maker. :D

really?, do you know how much of your Apple devices made by that "Washing Machine Manufacturer"?

stockscalper

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2003
Area 51

Maybe everybody is just getting tired of Apple's bullying and heavy handed tactics.

Not saying Samsung is without fault here. Their early Android phones did look an awful lot like the iPhone. But, Apple has borrowed as much, if not more, from Palm OS, Windows Mobile and Android, yet when they think somebody has copied or borrowed something from them they behave like the school yard bully.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
[url=http://images.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

With Apple and HTC having announced a settlement in their patent dispute, some observers have wondered whether the move could signal the beginning of a broader effort to resolve such issues throughout the industry. Apple and a number of Android device manufacturers such as HTC have been locked in court battles over their intellectual property for the past several years.

Samsung has rapidly risen to become the dominant Android device manufacturer and Apple's most significant foe in both the courtroom and the marketplace, but AFP reports that Samsung has "no such intention" of settling with Apple.Yonhap has more on Shin's comments:The patent battle between Apple and Samsung is already being played out in courtrooms around the world, with Apple's most significant victory in the series being a $1 billion verdict against Samsung in the United States. Not all of the cases have gone Apple's way, however, with one of the most visible defeats having been in the United Kingdom where Apple was ordered to post public acknowledgements that Samsung had not infringed upon Apple's registered design for the iPad.

Article Link: Samsung Not Interested in Settlement with Apple over Patent Issues

So this entire story is based on a comment from the head of samsungs mobile dept? I dont think he would also be the head of the legal dept as well, this is looking out of context with someone trying to invent a story

ogee

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2006
Earth.
I can see Apple reaching out to Samsung to offer settlement talks and Samsung saying "No Way, not interested". Then Apple says to the courts, We tried to come to an agreement with them but they refused to talk. Look at the mail exchange.

I'm sure Samsung would look bad in that light.

knightryda12

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
Samsung is involved in many industries - but they are not a leader nor a benchmark for others to aspire to in the market place. This is proven by the fact that they produce so many different products for other market leaders. At best, they are a larger glorified manufacturer.

Wow, some of you are ridiculously blind. They are not market leaders in any of their products? Lets start with Samsung Electronics...

DRAM - 40.4 % market share (leader)
NAND flash - 40.4 % market share (leader)
Large LCDs - 26.0 % market share (leader)
Active Matrix OLEDs - 97 % markert share (leader)
Lithium Ion batteries - 18.7 % market share (2nd)
All Televisions -17.2 % market share (leader)
Mobile phones - 25 % market share (leader)

On top of that, they are the 2nd largest shipbuilder in the world, 14th largest insurance company, and 19th largest advertising company... if Samsung was it's own country, it's revenue would be the 35th largest economy in the world.

Several people on here underestimate Samsung... they spend more on R&D than apple, are granted more patents than Apple, and are gaining more market share than Apple.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_top_United_States_patent_recipients

For those of you arguing the US company vs. Korean company thing, think about it for a second. What has Apple done for you and the US economy? They paid 3% of their revenue in taxes to the US government despite the US market being their biggest! What's the use when all of that money is locked into foreign accounts... its like the Facebook founder who delisted his US citizenship to keep his fortune. They do not care about you or the US economy so stop protecting them with your patriotism! All the REAL Apple US jobs are outsourced to China, in the meantime, the Korean company Samsung is looking to expand it's business in Texas and San Jose. Please don't bring in the US pride thing into allegiance-less nation-less multinational companies that only want the greens in your pockets. On top of that, Samsung hires and creates jobs for many of the korean people, they build research centers and factories all over South Korea, and give jobs to thousands of people in it's country. Although they have scandals and improper practices, the benefits to Korea and its people are tremendous. Is Apple doing the same in its home country ? I don't think so, they just employ thousands of Chinese workers, sit on a 100bilion capitalization that is used for NOTHING and congratulate themselves and shareholders that a bubble stock is going up at wall street.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
No one here is being paid by Samsung. We are the original Mac fans before iOS existed and before the iToys came along. MacRumors has changed quite a bit in the last 5 years for quality of posts. Its still here in the Mac forums and perhaps the site can be split between iOS Rumors and MacRumors.

Yes - you almighty "original Mac fans" are the real heroes. You aren't fooled by these petty useless devices we droves of mindless sheep use all day everyday for everything from reminding us its Grandma's birthday to running our small business through.

Yes, if only we could think for ourselves, we wouldn't be at the mercy of these "iToys" and Apple's devious marketing department.

:rolleyes:

Can you people grow up? This is beyond petty....

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Wow, some of you are ridiculously blind. They are not market leaders in any of their products? Lets start with Samsung Electronics...

DRAM - 40.4 % market share (leader)
NAND flash - 40.4 % market share (leader)
Large LCDs - 26.0 % market share (leader)
Active Matrix OLEDs - 97 % markert share (leader)
Lithium Ion batteries - 18.7 % market share (2nd)
All Televisions -17.2 % market share (leader)
Mobile phones - 25 % market share (leader)

On top of that, they are the 2nd largest shipbuilder in the world, 14th largest insurance company, and 19th largest advertising company... if Samsung was it's own country, it's revenue would be the 35th largest economy in the world.

I don't think anyone questions Samsung is the undisputed leader in QUANTITY of devices - and in a lot of cases, the QUALITY is good as well. But with a vast majority of those parts/products you listed, they simply manufacture them. They didn't come up with the tech - just took it and made the physical products. Do they have great manufacturing processes? Without question - otherwise they'd have a hard time cranking out the quantities they do. But let's not confuse innovation in manufacturing with innovation in design or software.

sc4rf4c3

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2012
Planar already has developed a transparent display.....

Come on, you can come up with at least one! Come on, dude!! Try harder!!

:D :D :D :D

PS - Planar to sue Samsung soon?

I saw their prototype refrigerator door with a 32" transparent display. I found out later that the transparent display was made by Samsung.

jrswizzle

macrumors 603
Aug 23, 2012
McKinney, TX
Both sides wrong then, no?

I would agree - though using the transparent touch-screen example may be a little premature. Until Samsung's iteration is installed in homes across America, I'll hold off on proclaiming them innovative in that area seeing as they haven't yet done anything DuPont or the others who came up with this tech hadn't already done.

----------

I saw their prototype refrigerator door with a 32" transparent display. I found out later that the transparent display was made by Samsung.

Doesn't mean Planar didn't say - "This is what we want built, and here's how to do it." - much like Apple does with their A# chips.

Samsung has extremely vast manufacturing infrastructure. They may have made the display, but that doesn't mean they designed it or any of the tech in it for that matter.

knightryda12

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
I don't think anyone questions Samsung is the undisputed leader in QUANTITY of devices - and in a lot of cases, the QUALITY is good as well. But with a vast majority of those parts/products you listed, they simply manufacture them. They didn't come up with the tech - just took it and made the physical products. Do they have great manufacturing processes? Without question - otherwise they'd have a hard time cranking out the quantities they do. But let's not confuse innovation in manufacturing with innovation in design or software.

You are overlooking the R&D and investment that goes into the process of developing more efficient and faster devices.... this is REAL research and development that drives technology. Even in the semi-conductor business, Samsung is helping drive the miniaturization process. I was merely responding to the comment that they are not the leaders in these respective fields. Hardly and REAL inventions are done these days, most of these are driven by universities. When the transition from theoretical to practical occurs, these companies look at these existing inventions and finds the best way and efficient way to deliver them to the market. This is what Apple does well, tell me, what tech invention has apple bought to the market?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.