Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices

Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:10 PM   #51
hallaisen
macrumors regular

Noob alert:

Will it be possible to buy this outright In the US and use it in Australia or Europe with gsm carriers?
hallaisen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:13 PM   #52
Xtal
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo 13 View Post
You can't see the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 32in HDTV what the hell makes you think you'll see the difference on a 5in screen? Come on ppl. People in their backwards ass thinking.
As far as I'm concerned wanting better or more future-proof phone hardware (screen resolution, battery life, wireless performance) is thinking forwards, not backwards.
Xtal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2012, 10:24 PM   #53
hallaisen
macrumors regular

From Verizon's dna website:

CDMA1x/EV-DO Rev A, LTE/DO Rx diversity

CDMA1x/EV-DO Rev A, LTE/DO Rx diversity
Global Network: GSM (850MHz, 900MHz, 1800MHz, 1900MHz), UMTS (850MHz, 900MHz, 1900MHz, 2100MHz)

Since it has GSM connectivity, can it be used with 3G on European and Australian networks?

Would it be hard to get this unlocked from Verizon's network?
hallaisen is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 04:29 AM   #54
Apollo 13
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtal View Post
As far as I'm concerned wanting better or more future-proof phone hardware (screen resolution, battery life, wireless performance) is thinking forwards, not backwards.
True...I like the phone and actually thinking of getting it, but I won't go in expecting to see a difference between a One X or iPhone 5 screen. All I need is a lot more reviews on the battery life.
Apollo 13 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:09 AM   #55
michaeljohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apollo 13 View Post
You can't see the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 32in HDTV what the hell makes you think you'll see the difference on a 5in screen? Come on ppl. People in their backwards ass thinking.
Why do so many people make such a big deal about the iPad mini display compared to the competition? They are only 2 inches bigger screens.
michaeljohn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 05:10 AM   #56
Technarchy
macrumors 601

Quote:
I wonder if Apple will do another 2x bump in resolution for the iPhone 6? They could go with either:

2272x1280 (2x iP5, 16:9 aspect) or
1920x1280 (2x iP4, 3:2)
With Apple's current screen size? You'd need a magnifying glass to see anything.
Steve Jobs, January 9th 2007, 10:44am: "We filed for over 200 patents for all the inventions in iPhone and we intend to protect them."
Technarchy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 09:56 AM   #57
onthecouchagain
Banned

For a 5 inch phone, it really doesn't look very big:

Don't know if I trust that 2500 mah battery especially when the display is pushing so many pixels. Looks gorgeous though.
onthecouchagain is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 10:49 AM   #58
tbayrgs
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeljohn View Post
I am just amazed that some people carry around their entire music and movie catalog on their phones, or so it seems. Someone mentioned earlier 6GB of music, that's insane. I have around 30 artists and at least a few hundred songs on my iPhone and its 2GB. 16GB is more than enough for most peoples needs. What do these people who feel the need to put all their multimedia on their cell phone do? Crazy
I am just amazed that some people think the way they do things it the only correct way to do things. What do these people who feel the world revolves around them do? Crazy
tbayrgs is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 11:13 AM   #59
Xtal
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technarchy View Post
With Apple's current screen size? You'd need a magnifying glass to see anything.
The whole point of the Retina display, which was a 2x jump in resolution from the 3GS, was that text and UI elements remain the same size but are rendered with 4x the pixels (2x more in horizontal and vertical direction), increasing the sharpness of fonts and graphics. It would make it easier to see things, not harder.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:13 PM   #60
nickchallis92
macrumors 6502

that little blue bar at the bottom of safari looks so tacky
nickchallis92 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 12:57 PM   #61
cuzo
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by onthecouchagain View Post
For a 5 inch phone, it really doesn't look very big:

Don't know if I trust that 2500 mah battery especially when the display is pushing so many pixels. Looks gorgeous though.
which one is it?
cuzo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:13 PM   #62
Xtal
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzo View Post
which one is it?
It's the middle one (it's 5" so it should be the largest). Galaxy S3 is on the right, iPhone 5 on the left. Not sure about the others.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:23 PM   #63
onthecouchagain
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuzo View Post
which one is it?
From left to right: iPhone 5, Nexus 4, DNA, HTC One X, and S3.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:35 PM   #64
smellysox8
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbarvian View Post
3 hours of screen on time? That's awful. My iPhone 5 gets around 7 on Wi-Fi and LTE.
Sure you do.
smellysox8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:45 PM   #65
GroundLoop
macrumors 68000

Well, I just preordered my Droid DNA. Should receive it on the 21st. Pretty excited to see what it can do.

GL
GroundLoop is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 01:59 PM   #66
bad03xtreme
macrumors 6502a

Can the DNA of any Android phone for that matter play music or photos through my Apple tv? That is one of the main reasons I am getting an iPhone.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:18 PM   #67
SnowLeopard2008
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to SnowLeopard2008
The Droid DNA's screen is overkill I think. "Retina" is already past the threshold that our eyes can distinguish individual pixels so to human eyes, there is no discernible difference in clarity between iPhone 4+ and Droid DNA. While it is better because it can display a pixel to pixel ratio of 1 for 1080P HD content, our eyes can't tell the difference.

As for the internal hardware, Qualcomm's S4 SoC chip has some thermal throttling issues as evidenced by the Nexus 4. AnandTech's benchmarks show that the Nexus 4's S4 performs very poorly against iPhone 5's A6 and barely outperforms iPhone 4S. Graphics will struggle since there are so many pixels to push and the graphics chip itself is not as good as iPhone 5. Battery life is also a concern. This is documented by AnandTech's review of the Nexus 4.

I think HTC's Droid DNA phone is THE Android phone to get right now. The only other one would be Nexus 4. But iPhone 5 is still the best phone overall with the best balance of everything from software to hardware to build quality and etc. The "tradeoffs" of not having a 1080P display is really moot since 1080P content on iPhone 5 shows no pixelation anyway. That said, I really do think HTC made one of the best Android phones considering hardware, software and design.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad03xtreme View Post
Can the DNA of any Android phone for that matter play music or photos through my Apple tv? That is one of the main reasons I am getting an iPhone.
Try doubleTwist. Not as elegant or easy to use or implementation OS-wide as on an iPhone but it works.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:24 PM   #68
OceanView
macrumors 65816

What's the point of a 1080p screen if you can only have 16GB memory and no expandable micro SD slot?
I don't get the benefits?

"good artists copy, great artists steal, and we have, you know, always been shameless about stealing great ideas". Steve Jobs - 1996 interview.
OceanView is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:34 PM   #69
Xtal
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OceanView View Post
What's the point of a 1080p screen if you can only have 16GB memory and no expandable micro SD slot?
I don't get the benefits?
I don't understand your post. The benefits of a 1080p screen would be felt throughout the UI experience.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnowLeopard2008 View Post
The Droid DNA's screen is overkill I think. "Retina" is already past the threshold that our eyes can distinguish individual pixels so to human eyes, there is no discernible difference in clarity between iPhone 4+ and Droid DNA.
The notion that Apple's retina display has the maximum discernible resolution of the human eye is false and nothing more than Apple marketing. You would need a 900 ppi screen to actually reach the limit of human visual acuity. The Droid DNA with its 440 ppi screen is less than half way there.

http://www.cultofmac.com/173702/why-...nough-feature/
Xtal is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:43 PM   #70
onthecouchagain
Banned

Quote:
I don't understand your post. The benefits of a 1080p screen would be felt throughout the UI experience.

----------

The notion that Apple's retina display has the maximum discernible resolution of the human eye is false and nothing more than Apple marketing. You would need a 900 ppi screen to actually reach the limit of human visual acuity. The Droid DNA with its 440 ppi screen is less than half way there.

http://www.cultofmac.com/173702/why-...nough-feature/

Really interesting article. Apple marketing for the win.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:51 PM   #71
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Really interesting article. Apple marketing for the win.
To be honest it seems that nobody really knows what "Retina" is. All I care about, and what others should care about is how these super high resolution panels look in comparison to current offerings.
zbarvian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:53 PM   #72
onthecouchagain
Banned

Quote:
To be honest it seems that nobody really knows what "Retina" is. All I care about, and what others should care about is how these super high resolution panels look in comparison to current offerings.
Read the article. It explains what true retina means.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 02:55 PM   #73
zbarvian
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Read the article. It explains what true retina means.
I did, but there's no definitive PPI that is Retina. Experts have differing opinions.
zbarvian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:28 PM   #74
onthecouchagain
Banned

Quote:
I did, but there's no definitive PPI that is Retina. Experts have differing opinions.
Ah I see.

I agree that displays just look great overall nowadays.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:43 PM   #75
cynics
macrumors 604

I can't see pixels 200 PPI and better no matter the distance from my eyes. However screens with more generally look better over all.

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices