Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Peppa

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2012
That's not what you said. You said Samsung will "keep doing just fine" while Apple will have difficulty/time finding another supplier.

Why is it that a supplier in a business where companies are going bankrupt will keep doing fine but the largest single buyer in the world will have trouble? That sounds very much like "indoctrinated wishful thinking" that you have accused another poster of.

You mean iPhones will get suddenly less dependable if they used Hynix or Elpida RAM or NAND instead of Samsung? But they are already doing it and I haven't heard iPhone being less dependable because they aren't using Samsung parts.

Absolutely agreed with your first point but didn't you also claim yourself that Samsung will magically be fine without Apple even though the article said a Samsung VP was let go because he lost some of the Apple business?

Saying Samsung will be fine (I also used "probably" because obviously it's an opinion not stated with certainty but kudos for creative quoting) doesn't make the assumption that they won't have to change and adapt to fill that void. It doesn't make the assumption that there won't be initial loss. There would be an adjustment period, but they're probably not going to go bankrupt considering how many products they produce.

I just think that Samsung, having their own products, can make up for some of the demand, where as Apple must find a separate supplier since they don't supply themselves. It's probably going to hurt both companies either way...just as the lawsuits have.

Someone asked a question, so I gave an answer. It was clearly an opinion (not and end all claim as you would suggest), but I am entitled to it.

----------

You're right. If Apple walked away today Samsung would be completely unaffected. Sorry for being so blind.

:rolleyes:

Of course they wouldn't be unaffected. But you're foolish to suggest Apple wouldn't hurt.

Last edited:

Peppa

macrumors member
Aug 14, 2012
That's a bit unfair but we know why Samsung is being propped up by some, it's because they dislike Apple and want to see someone else taking down Apple, and Samsung is their latest hope. At one point it was Microsoft Zune(and now Surface), HTC, Motorola, etc. It's not that they particularly care about Samsung's nationality but just want to see Apple get burn and fall down.

Everybody hated Foxconn and suddenly nobody cared when it stopped being useful as a talking point against Apple. How many were outraged when the Foxconn Nintendo factory was found to be using underaged interns?

And some just like competition so companies are forced to make better products, including Apple. And maybe people just would like to see these companies spend more on R&D than legal bills. But no, it's driven by hate for Apple, let's all get out our tinfoil hats.

paul4339

macrumors 65816
Sep 14, 2009
Hum, I bet Intel is intereted in putting some processors inside iPhones

I believe that Intel was open to servicing out it's fab capacity and expertise, but only if the purchaser was using Intel technology. In other words, they didn't want to fab ARM-based chips. instead wanting mobile devices to switch to Atom.

Since then, there are rumors that Intel is having a change of heart because the mobile industry is entrenching itself into ARM.

Furthermore, Paul Ottelini (CEO) is on the board of Google ... I'm sure that doesn't make Apple (or Samsung for that matter) very happy.

lkrupp

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2004
You do realize that you're supporting Samsung by buying Apple products as well, right?

But not nearly as much as buying their blatant ripoff products at the expense of the real innovator.

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
You would think from some of the posters on this site that Samsung goes marauding around the country side killing children, pillaging wives and letting the world burn.

Guess people get mad when people buy rounded rectangles from other companies because it somehow makes their rounded rectangles less valuable.

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
Why on earth would people go to all that trouble? Sounds suspiciously close to "Einstein's" definition of insanity.

Simple. because it would reduce outright lying. Imagine if journalism and the news were actually based on... facts and truth!

Seriously, I wish we had that here in North America, the amount of bull that passes for news in the U.S. and Canada is astounding, and is an insult to our democratic populations. The recent U.S. election was a prime example of this: campaigns and news agencies saying whatever they wanted, regardless of the actual facts. Now don't get me wrong, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but to claim a statement as fact when it is literally an outright lie is simply irresponsible and more importantly immoral, and this has been a particularly large problem lately due to the elections (both the U.S. one and the slightly less recent Canadian election).

Rocketman

macrumors 603
As was reported some time ago and which I commented in a thread on this site, Samsung has been negotiating new contracts that account for changes in labor and materials costs. Labor rates in and near China are going up at 15% per year due to globalization. So the prices on new contracts are changing, but with an increment less than 20% since labor is a relatively small factor overall. Samsung display division actually had a press release to that effect.

The processor division is different still, as is the legal department. It is a huge multi-jusrisdiction company.

Rocketman

AppleInTheMud

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
Vojens Denmark
I still want to see what NEW innovative product SAMSUNG comes out with so (we) :apple: can copy it!

Well? WERE WAITING!

Ehmmm those products have been on the market long time...

Samsung Galaxy S3 is a kickass phone compared to it's little brother iPhone 5

and then there is

Samsung Galaxy Note 2 - does double what iPhone 5 does... And the specs. Touch is better. The stylus with "air view" is brilliant. You can do stuff here you can only dream doing on the iPhone 5 - oh... And the 2 GB's of ram. What did iPhone 5 have.

Problem about fanboys is, they cant see beyond there apple. Like saying to a muslem he should go christian or eat pork and the other way around.... I was one my self (apple fanboy), but Im a grown up now, so can see whats good and whats just the same old in a new case...

Still love my MacBook Air ... But my Samsung Ativ Pro S is just a little cooler.

It's life... Things come... Things go... And at the moment Apples "new" stuff is just going down. The new iMac ? Thinner and not upgradeable? Oh nooo you're old if you need dvd ? Noooo Apple - most people want that and they will show you the hard way. Less sales.

Look at the kickass downfall of the stock at the moment. Said this also as it hit almost 700... And where is it today just some month after ?

Apple is chasing it's tail... Samsung is developing... That's the difference. And what Samsung makes with Android compared to other companies using Android is worlds apart. Samsungs Android 4.1 version is amazing.

Almost hurt to say because I love apple so much. But love doenst give me new and exciting stuff...

LoloBond

macrumors 6502
Nov 21, 2011
I work in the electronics component field and there is no way Samsung did or can raise their prices just like that. Before a component like that is built there are agreements that has to be signed.

hchung

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2008
Saying Samsung will be fine (I also used "probably" because obviously it's an opinion not stated with certainty but kudos for creative quoting) doesn't make the assumption that they won't have to change and adapt to fill that void. It doesn't make the assumption that there won't be initial loss. There would be an adjustment period, but they're probably not going to go bankrupt considering how many products they produce.

I just think that Samsung, having their own products, can make up for some of the demand, where as Apple must find a separate supplier since they don't supply themselves. It's probably going to hurt both companies either way...just as the lawsuits have.

Someone asked a question, so I gave an answer. It was clearly an opinion (not and end all claim as you would suggest), but I am entitled to it.

----------

Of course they wouldn't be unaffected. But you're foolish to suggest Apple wouldn't hurt.

You're right that they can make up some of the demand, but it's not by much. They certainly have decent sales of their phones, but given that most of them don't even run Exynos SoCs, that can't account for it. The suppliers of the other SoCs already have their own fab contracts and would likely not be switching.

(The Galaxy S3 Mini/Axiom is rumored to use neither a Samsung SoC nor a Samsung baseband. What were they thinking?)

I'd suspect many of the lines would be converted back to NAND as some of them started that way. But going from custom parts to commodity parts will hurt. For those that go idle, it's just burning money.

Apple's position is still better because they can leave Samsung once they're ready with a different foundry. Samsung has to convince others to prep for production with them without knowing when the fab capacity will be ready.

You're certainly entitled to an opinion, but you'd also have to be receptive to comments from people who may know other details and therefore may form other opinions. :)

sir1963nz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2012
I suspect it is more of that ilk. Apple is cutting orders to Samsung to spread the wealth so Samsung is asking for 20% more money for what they are making to make up one of the lost income

And just to add to Samsungs Panic
http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/12/11/14/2113232/everspin-launches-non-volatile-mram-thats-500-times-faster-than-nand

That may just see Apple no longer wanting their NAND flash ram soon too

Now when Apple starts getting their Chips fabricated by someone else it could be a very bad year for Samsung

Gnomepatrol

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2011
Metro East Area
I dont get this, wasnt the AX6 Apple's entire creation? They should stop buying from Samsung

No it was a "modified" design, meaning they took an existing chip and "tweaked " it a bit. Samsung is the fabricator.

----------

And just to add to Samsungs Panic
http://hardware.slashdot.org/story/12/11/14/2113232/everspin-launches-non-volatile-mram-thats-500-times-faster-than-nand

That may just see Apple no longer wanting their NAND flash ram soon too

Now when Apple starts getting their Chips fabricated by someone else it could be a very bad year for Samsung

Not sure why you think a company as large as Samsung that makes everything from televisions to tablets to dishwashers to NAND to washing machines to mobile CPU fabrications is going to really hurt from Apple moving away from them. The ones who are really going to hurt is you. They are going to keep their margins high while providing a lesser quality product by going with cheaper and less field tested partners. Samsung has some of the best Fabrications in the mobile market and their NAND is second to none. If you are the people here are okay with getting second rate parts in your 800$ phones, 400$ subsidized, then by all means. Myself, however, would like to get what I paid for and having second rate part manufactures because Apple can't just get along with everyone is not really acceptable at the premiums they are charging for their devices.

MonkeySee....

macrumors 68040
Sep 24, 2010
UK
Yes u guys need to back on Samsung

They're the good guys here.

They are the brains behind our gadgets.