Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:51 AM   #1
bad03xtreme
macrumors 6502a

1st gen tv and iPhone 5 airplay?

I am about to get my first ever smartphone and one on my main reasons for getting an iPhone was because I have an iMac, MacBook Pro, and a 1st Gen tv and I wanted to be able to use airplay to play music and videos through my stereo and tv via airplay from my iPhone.

I use my computers now to play music using my airport extreme and that connects everything to the same network. However I just read that the 1st gen tv does cannot stream music or videos from an iPhone, is that the case?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 07:59 AM   #2
OllyW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad03xtreme View Post
However I just read that the 1st gen tv does cannot stream music or videos from an iPhone, is that the case?
Yes it's true, AirPlay only works with the ATV 2 & 3.
OllyW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:16 AM   #3
bad03xtreme
macrumors 6502a

Well dang.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:27 PM   #4
Exit34
macrumors newbie

It is possible though.
Exit34 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:30 PM   #5
bad03xtreme
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit34 View Post
It is possible though.
Go on...

I may just get one of those Droid DNA's if I can't use the iPhone with my tv the way I thought I could.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:31 PM   #6
Exit34
macrumors newbie

XBMC supports airplay on the atv1 .. requires jailbreak however
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:05 PM   #7
bad03xtreme
macrumors 6502a

I have already installed that but it was a few years back now. Do I need to upgrade it? I do play my music through my tv using iTunes on my computer is that airplay? I always thought that was what the tv was supposed to do.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 01:19 PM   #8
Exit34
macrumors newbie

Yes and No I suppose. Depends how you intend to serve your media to the aTV. iTunes running on your machine will always work for any media contained within iTunes. For videos, this requires a certain format however. To better answer your question, you are going to be using the iPhone 5 as the devise you intend to airplay from, correct?

What type of media are you intending to airplay from the iPhone to the aTV?

Quote:
I have already installed that but it was a few years back now. Do I need to upgrade it? I do play my music through my tv using iTunes on my computer is that airplay? I always thought that was what the tv was supposed to do.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:13 PM   #9
bad03xtreme
macrumors 6502a

I would mainly use the tv to play music and put my photos or videos taken with the phone up on the tv from the phone if possible without having to import everything into the computer first. I was under the impression I could take a video of my kid with the phone and turn around and watch it on my tv since I have an tv but I suppose I am mistaken.
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:27 PM   #10
Exit34
macrumors newbie

Quote:
I would mainly use the tv to play music and put my photos or videos taken with the phone up on the tv from the phone if possible without having to import everything into the computer first. I was under the impression I could take a video of my kid with the phone and turn around and watch it on my tv since I have an tv but I suppose I am mistaken.
Ok. You can do all of that from your iphone 5 through XBMC. If you want to stay with the appletv 1 then XBMC will be your only option. Alternatively you could just pick up the atv 3 and all will work well out of box. not a bad upgrade for $99 considering your current commitment to the apple ecosystem already.
Exit34 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 02:40 PM   #11
aristobrat
macrumors Demi-God

Quote:
I was under the impression I could take a video of my kid with the phone and turn around and watch it on my tv since I have an tv but I suppose I am mistaken.
The original tv that you're still rocking was designed over six years ago!

AirPlay is definitely an awesome feature, but it does require the hardware in a newer AppleTV to work with.
aristobrat is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:14 PM   #12
dynaflash
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by aristobrat View Post
The original tv that you're still rocking was designed over six years ago!

AirPlay is definitely an awesome feature, but it does require the hardware in a newer AppleTV to work with.
True with stock software, not true running xbmc. xbmc has airplay when its on an atv 1. Works good too.
dynaflash is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater