Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion

Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:13 AM   #1
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Change in local host name??

Comes up every now and then
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	44
Size:	39.3 KB
ID:	361581  

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 05:41 AM   #2
nyolc8
macrumors regular

Try to re-setup your network in System Preferences > Network
And try to disable/re-enable your sharings in System Preferences > Sharing

Do you have a home LAN/Wifi network, right?
nyolc8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23, 2012, 03:53 PM   #3
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyolc8 View Post
Try to re-setup your network in System Preferences > Network
And try to disable/re-enable your sharings in System Preferences > Sharing

Do you have a home LAN/Wifi network, right?
yeah I do. I think it may have something to do with "Rowmote". Would that sound right. It comes up pretty much daily.
Thanks for your help

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
Old Sep 24, 2012, 07:38 AM   #4
designjohn
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
yeah I do. I think it may have something to do with "Rowmote". Would that sound right. It comes up pretty much daily.
Thanks for your help
I don't know what this is. However, I can tell you that about half of the macs in our design studio have this problem and we don't have Rowmote installed anywhere.

It first occurred around the time that we manually changed the names of all our macs in System Preferences/Sharing/Computer Name:

Our IT support says it is probably a DNS issue, however they have not fixed it after about two years since the first occurrence.
designjohn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 08:07 AM   #5
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by designjohn View Post
I don't know what this is. However, I can tell you that about half of the macs in our design studio have this problem and we don't have Rowmote installed anywhere.

It first occurred around the time that we manually changed the names of all our macs in System Preferences/Sharing/Computer Name:

Our IT support says it is probably a DNS issue, however they have not fixed it after about two years since the first occurrence.
ahhh ok. To be fair its annoying more than anything. Interesting you say its a DNS issue. I'll take a look at that!

Old Oct 4, 2012, 10:28 AM   #6
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
ahhh ok. To be fair its annoying more than anything. Interesting you say its a DNS issue. I'll take a look at that!
mmm still happening.

Old Nov 14, 2012, 03:27 PM   #7
madkangas
macrumors newbie

Are you connecting to the same network via TWO interfaces? (Like: wireless AND wired) And are both of those interfaces on the same subnet?

I occasionally see the same message you are reporting, typically right after I wake my laptop up. And I've realized that -- when I'm plugged into our office wired LAN, and also leave my wireless on -- I actually have two active interfaces on the same LAN.

Right now "ifconfig" shows my en0 as 10.0.5.44 and en2 as 10.0.5.192. Both interfaces have "netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.0.5.255".

I think this explains the periodic message in my case. Bonjour searches for conflicting hostnames when it connects to the local LAN. Problem is, my machine connects *twice*. And the two interfaces do not connect at the same instant in time. So you have a race condition between the two interfaces.

Now that I think I understand why it's happening, I'm lazy enough to live with it. For now.
madkangas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:16 AM   #8
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G4

I have an equally odd, similar issue where my computer's host name randomly changes. It's easiest to see this in Terminal: It never uses the name I set in System Preferences, instead using some other name from my router(?) that is dynamically generated when needed, as far as I can tell. Is there a way to make my Mac's Terminal not do this?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:48 AM   #9
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by madkangas View Post
Are you connecting to the same network via TWO interfaces? (Like: wireless AND wired) And are both of those interfaces on the same subnet?

I occasionally see the same message you are reporting, typically right after I wake my laptop up. And I've realized that -- when I'm plugged into our office wired LAN, and also leave my wireless on -- I actually have two active interfaces on the same LAN.

Right now "ifconfig" shows my en0 as 10.0.5.44 and en2 as 10.0.5.192. Both interfaces have "netmask 0xffffff00 broadcast 10.0.5.255".

I think this explains the periodic message in my case. Bonjour searches for conflicting hostnames when it connects to the local LAN. Problem is, my machine connects *twice*. And the two interfaces do not connect at the same instant in time. So you have a race condition between the two interfaces.

Now that I think I understand why it's happening, I'm lazy enough to live with it. For now.
Thanks for bringing this back up as its still happening!

I'm connect to the internet on my Mac via Ethernet. Thinking about i'm about 60% sure its not trying to connect via wifi also. I may have a look later. thanks for bringing this up!

Old Nov 15, 2012, 08:09 AM   #10
drsox
macrumors 65816

If it's a problem for you, have a look at BridgeChecker (app store). Can be set to disable WiFi if LAN is connected. Works most of the time.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion