Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solyd

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2007
You're telling me that after Sept. 11, 2001 that these people were able to just waltz into an airport warehouse with a tractor trailer? What the hell? Forget the iPad Minis, what happened to beefing up security this past decade?

ovrlrd

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2009
If these are indeed the cellular ones, you can be certain that the second they are turned on they can track exactly where they are. In fact even if they aren't, the second they connect to Wi-Fi they will know where they are.

No doubt that Apple has a manifest of every single iPad lost and the serial numbers, MAC addresses, and UUIDs.

The only issue is they will likely be sold before they are turned on. But at the very least they can do some investigation into the people who buy them, try to find the sellers.

jw2002

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2008
You're telling me that after Sept. 11, 2001 that these people were able to just waltz into an airport warehouse

Of course. You do realize that most of the measures implemented are termed "security theater" and are there mainly to keep the Ma and Pa Kettles of the world scared. More security in warehouses? No. More security on freight? Nope.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Wow this looks really sketch...reason #5241 why I don't buy anything on Craigslist. Call the NYPD and arrange a meeting and see where they got them :p

Someone actually put up a listing like that:rolleyes:? That seems like an overall lack of caution.

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2009
Apple is definitely not good at

- securing products in apple stores
- securing products when leaving factories
- securing delivery dates

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Apple is definitely not good at

- securing products in apple stores
- securing products when leaving factories
- securing delivery dates

This is not Apple's fault. Are you kidding me that you truly think Apple should have prevented something from being stolen from JFK?

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
So, if I read this correctly, it tells me that there are 3600 iPad MINI's being sold cheaply somewhere..... hmmmm....

If these guys are smart they will sell them at retail... No need to sell them any cheaper right now with the demand being so high.

DrStern

macrumors member
Feb 2, 2012
Torrance, CA
Hmm, I wonder if

Apple could enter all the serial numbers of the stolen iPads into their servers, and effectively "brick" them until they were recovered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.