Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Aesthetics my friend, aesthetics. People are attracted to Apple products because of their style, perceived higher quality and user friendly software. If you want to increase or maintain sales you must change or improve the product often. The new iMac is a beautifully designed product. some customers will buy it for that reason alone.

But if they can't find reliable manufacturers, all the great designs in the world won't matter.

IGregory

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2012
1. It's significant either way because it will 100% for sure affect Apple's quarterly earnings in a negative way. Also, in retail, you can't count on customers to come back. New customers wanting to buy a holiday gift and thinking of switching to Mac but forced to buy a Win 8 desktop instead. Old customers that waited so long they decide to wait for another cycle. All sorts of factors here. Bottom line lost sales are lost sales. Apple might recoup some in a future quarter but this quarter, the biggest in retail, is hurt. You can't argue out of that truth.

2. First, that's IF. Black Friday is almost a week away and Apple hasn't even started pre-orders yet. Doesn't look good. Most people don't give delayed holiday gifts...they just buy something else.

3. Design difficultly IS NOT the point. Knowing when it's ready to announce IS the point. Why can't you understand that? The iMac announcement was premature and that was a judgment call by Cook, not Jobs. Jobs was already 6ft under when Cook made the decision to announce.

4. Yes, I'm focusing on this quarter because this is the quarter the iMac is suppose to ship... the biggest quarter in retail. Do you notice when companies announce lower than expected quarterly sales the company's stock drops? It's a big deal. Sequential quarterly growth and Year-Ago Quarter growth is important to every company.

5. 3.5 from 3.4 might not be significant but Apple still charges plenty for those type of CTO upgrades. Also the upgrades would start at the bottom of the line. They'd see more impact than the top of the line because there is more room for upgrade there.

I don believe Apple is worried that much about iMac loss sales. Here's why

Last edited:

jasomill

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2011
Um, there's lots of places in the U.S. that have "broadband" but it's still mega slow...Perhaps some don't want an internet connection or will be in a situation where they can't use one....Not to mention, blu ray is FAR better quality than anything you can stream...

Not to mention cost — even if broadband were free, non-new release Blu-ray at $10–15 is significantly cheaper than iTunes HD, as are physical rentals from the likes of Red Box. And don't underestimate the power of resale — used Blu-rays can often be found for around the price of an iTunes HD rental.

Steve J0bs

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008
Yeah, never understood why they keeping making monitors/computers thinner.... :rolleyes:

Attachments

• used 17 crt col.jpg
    used 17 crt col.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

sza

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
Aesthetics my friend, aesthetics. People are attracted to Apple products because of their style, perceived higher quality and user friendly software. If you want to increase or maintain sales you must change or improve the product often. The new iMac is a beautifully designed product. some customers will buy it for that reason alone.

Agreed, and cutting the material cost is just a plus :D

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
See what you have done!

All Tim wanted to do is release a product at a keynote that the rumors sites hadn't already leaked and was drooled on by thousands of people.

Tim had to rush the announcement before it got leaked and now few time tables have slipped and now the product is going to be late to market.

Not to mention the poor Foxconn workers are going to have to work triple unpaid overtime just to make up for the delay.
Suicide net manufacturing stocks are bullish.

+1 LOVE my new quad core mini with fusion drive. HD4000 has performed significantly better than I was hoping. Upgrade to 16GB of RAM on Amazon for $70. Yes Please.

I'm running FCP X (along with everything else open) and haven't skipped a beat!

Wow! Thats surprised me. Running FCP X! Do you have any other experience running Aperature or Lightroom on that mini?? I may have to look at it instead of the iMac. I am really not that keen on the new iMac thinness. and TB Drive attached to it may just prove its all I need running to a 30" Dell monitor.

I cant help feel that the failure rate of these is gonna be super high because of its form factor. Would have preferred the old factor and a Desktop GPU tbh whilst getting rid of the Superdrive of course. Gonna hit YouTube see if I can dig up some vids running Aperture. Thanks for that little confidence boost in the mini!

tod

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2009
Ohio
When I put an iMac on my desk and stare at the screen, it makes no difference whether it's 5 mm thick at the edges or 2 inches thick all around.

If Apple had used desktop sized drives and memory, at the expense of a smaller enclosure, how much more affordable would the iMac be? How much more repairable would it be? How much longer would it last? Those things matter a lot more than the thinness of a product that you typically don't carry around or even look behind!

Because thinner is better!

Or something like that.

I still chuckle at how careful the photos of the new iMac are to avoid that it's only thin at the edge. There's a ugly bulge on the back that kind of makes the idea that this is a thin computer silly.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
I do think it is fairly significant in the scheme of things when these sport of things start to erode.

It is not. Apple's fiscal year runs from Oct - September. In terms of what they make over this Q'13 year it really doesn't matter much if the revenue comes in during Q1 or Q2 as long as it has come in by Q4.

It would be significant if Apple needed the money short term to keep the lights on, but this dip in revenues is nothing that their $100B cash horde can't handle. In fact, with the new mini's (iPad and Mac), MBP 13" retina, and recently refreshed iPhone 5 there likely won't even be a dip in revenues.
What will happen is folks' irrational exuberant expectations will get busted short term, but that is something that is bad.

What folks are getting hyped on is Apple not setting some record for Mac sales in a single quarter. Not over a year's span of time. Not for a multiple year span... for a quarter. There are a bunch of speculators waiting for a bubble indicator. The issue is they created the bubble in the first place. They are just looking to bolt for the exit and leave other speculator focused folks hanging. That's a game that Apple doesn't really have to loose alot of sleep over.

tod

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2009
Ohio
A delay is good... there are many Apple customers who need to learn to deal with not having instant gratification all the time.

Phx08

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
I have a suggestion for everyone that is angry that the new iMac may be delayed. Use the money that you were going to buy it with and INVEST it for the time being. The returns that you can potentially get would be pretty decent on $2,000 invested.

Its a win win, you get the computer at the end anyways and you make your money work for you. Unless of course you were going to buy it using your credit card in which case you should question why you are buying it in the first place when you didn't have the money in your bank account to offset the bill after the deferred payment :confused:

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
It is not. Apple's fiscal year runs from Oct - September. In terms of what they make over this Q'13 year it really doesn't matter much if the revenue comes in during Q1 or Q2 as long as it has come in by Q4.

It would be significant if Apple needed the money short term to keep the lights on, but this dip in revenues is nothing that their $100B cash horde can't handle. In fact, with the new mini's (iPad and Mac), MBP 13" retina, and recently refreshed iPhone 5 there likely won't even be a dip in revenues.
What will happen is folks' irrational exuberant expectations will get busted short term, but that is something that is bad.

What folks are getting hyped on is Apple not setting some record for Mac sales in a single quarter. Not over a year's span of time. Not for a multiple year span... for a quarter. There are a bunch of speculators waiting for a bubble indicator. The issue is they created the bubble in the first place. They are just looking to bolt for the exit and leave other speculator focused folks hanging. That's a game that Apple doesn't really have to loose alot of sleep over.

I understand and agree with a lot of what you are stating, but pretty certain this still doesn't sit well with Apple internally, nor do the issues they have had with the ip5 etc at Foxconn.

----------

I have a suggestion for everyone that is angry that the new iMac may be delayed. Use the money that you were going to buy it with and INVEST it for the time being. The returns that you can potentially get would be pretty decent on $2,000 invested.

:

Yeah at 1% interest I could get a whopping $20 if I held it in savings for 12 months, or loose a good portion in the stock market. Uhhh. . . no I think I'll hold. ;)

Nightarchaon

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Sorry but the optical drive is dead. Move on from it.

I never mentioned the optical drive, what they should have done to be "progressive" would have been to keep the ram easily upgradable, but drop the 3.5" hard disk drive and have a pair of 2.5" sata bays either side of the ram door so you can swap in your own SSD/laptop sized harddisks.

i agree the CD/DVD is dead, i have BluRay now, and will continue to purchase Blurays because i can do something with them i cant do with a digital copy, pick it off the shelf, and go to a friends house with it and watch it on the bluray player THEY own.

Digital is OK, but until they break away from the "we are leasing you the movie" instead of your owning it, then your stuck playing it on a limited number of devices.

----------

Yeah, never understood why they keeping making desktops thinner.... :rolleyes:

You obviously dont understand the difference between a monitor and a computer, try again.... :rolleyes:

Johnf1285

macrumors 6502a
Dec 25, 2010

Its a win win, you get the computer at the end anyways and you make your money work for you. Unless of course you were going to buy it using your credit card in which case you should question why you are buying it in the first place when you didn't have the money in your bank account to offset the bill after the deferred payment :confused:

Thats a good idea. I am sitting on my money just waiting. It's in a savings account doing little to nothing for me.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK

I agree with you to a certain point in that there is something about the iMac aesthetic that makes it a pleasure to use. However the Apple premium price is starting to get a little disproportionate in relation to the tech contained in that chassis. Sometimes in the pursuit of the aesthetic some large compromises have been made and unfortunately recent designs have not been so well thought out as not to cause some serious issues (scorch marks on screens since the 2009 iMac). The thin screen.....fair enough but let's hope Apple's obsession with making all things thinner (the iPad 3 and 4 not withstanding) doesn't result in unforeseen problems and compromises.

Still love the iMac but sometimes I wonder if it's not OSX I like more.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
I couldn't disagree more. Their current desktop lineup is far away from "the bleeding edge of technology":
- mobile GPUs in desktop computers
- obsolete magnetic drives
- glossy screens that you can't even elevate
- unreliable casing, prone to heat and dust
- non-upgradable designs (it might be new, but its function is very bad)
- a bad mouse design...

Not to speak about the totally outdated Mac Pro.
The only serious desktop these days is the Mini.

The one and only thing where Apple excels on their desktops is the OS.

There's not a single bit of ascii character in this post that I disagree with.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009
1. It's significant either way because it will 100% for sure affect Apple's quarterly earnings in a negative way.

Apple has $100B of cash floating around with nothing to do. The company is not run to optimize individual quarterly results.

What matters is getting a quality product on the market when it is ready. Period.

For example there are no reports of flaying edges of Surface tablet keyboard covers. That shipping those devices short term would boost Microsoft's earnings. A quality issue won't help long term.

Also, in retail, you can't count on customers to come back. New customers wanting to buy a holiday gift and thinking of switching to Mac but forced to buy a Win 8 desktop instead.

The iMac is not highly dependent upon Holiday sales to provide value for the product. Historically it isn't even targeted in Holiday, gift giving quarters. It is entirely hand waving to say that is that is a critically dependent factor now.

I didn't say Apple wouldn't loose some sales with a delay. Just that they probably wouldn't loose most.

3. Design difficultly IS NOT the point. Knowing when it's ready to announce IS the point. Why can't you understand that? The iMac announcement was premature and that was a judgment call by Cook, not Jobs. Jobs was already 6ft under when Cook made the decision to announce.

Bull. You are the one who doesn't seem to see the issue. If cloudy predictability is part of the design then Jobs would have likely bad the same bad call on the same bad information. You're hand waving as if Cook made the call with some sort of mind fart or "flip the coin" decision. It is extremely likely if there has been a problem with the iMac then Cook (like Jobs would have) went to the folks on the product and asked what their new estimate was to getting it fixed. They probably though it would be fixed by end of Oct. So Cook went with the dates.

4. Yes, I'm focusing on this quarter because this is the quarter the iMac is suppose to ship... the biggest quarter in retail.

Most likely the iMac was suppose to ship LAST quarter. Or did you not notice that Mac unit grow had slowed down at the last quarter reports? Still better than market overall but not as high as it was.

It is already late. Later by one quarter isn't the sign of the Apocalypse. Disappointing perhaps but not huge.

Do you notice when companies announce lower than expected quarterly sales the company's stock drops? It's a big deal

So what if it is a temporary thing. The market as a whole over the short term acts irrationally all the time. Only extremely weak companies worry about short term swings in the stock. Apple has no motivation at all to get their underwear in a twist if the stock falls for a couple of quarter and then returns to even higher growth.

Stuff happens. If a hurricane, flood, or earthquake hit Apple HQ or one of their singular manufacturing sites they take a short term hit too. Long term it isn't a issue though due to the resources they have.

5. 3.5 from 3.4 might not be significant but Apple still charges plenty for those type of CTO upgrades.

The cost they charge is immaterial. The fact that even you acknowledge that small of a bump is insignificant is all that is.

Also the upgrades would start at the bottom of the line.

If can't bump the whole line up why bother? Sure Apple could kill margins by moving down the CPUs and chopping off the top end CTO. Unit sales purely for unit sales sake is not a strategy. It is a gimmick.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
A delay is good... there are many Apple customers who need to learn to deal with not having instant gratification all the time.

What instant gratification? This has to do with them saying 1 thing and doing another.

Don't say "Due out in November" if it won't be out until 2013.

I'd rather them not announce a release date than giving dates and keep pushing them back.

The iMacs and iTunes 11 probably won't release until 2013.

Phx08

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
I understand and agree with a lot of what you are stating, but pretty certain this still doesn't sit well with Apple internally, nor do the issues they have had with the ip5 etc at Foxconn.

----------

Yeah at 1% interest I could get a whopping $20 if I held it in savings for 12 months, or loose a good portion in the stock market. Uhhh. . . no I think I'll hold. ;)

Quite the contrary. Where have you heard this information from?!?! I hope you don't follow it. Unless you have money invested into a stable value fund that barely 'moves' you shouldn't have a 1% return across 12 months.

deconstruct60

macrumors G5
Mar 10, 2009

Apple challenging itself before its competitors do is generally good. This is likely embarrassing but if they learn from the mistake they'll be a better company going forward.

For example, iPhone 4's antenna-gate lead to a much improved iPhone design methodology going forward when it came to radio design requirements.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.