Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iChrist

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2011
3 countries for tax benefit
I have a suggestion for everyone that is angry that the new iMac may be delayed. Use the money that you were going to buy it with and INVEST it for the time being. The returns that you can potentially get would be pretty decent on $2,000 invested.

Its a win win, you get the computer at the end anyways and you make your money work for you. Unless of course you were going to buy it using your credit card in which case you should question why you are buying it in the first place when you didn't have the money in your bank account to offset the bill after the deferred payment :confused:

Yes, buy AAPL instead, great idea.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
Uhhhh. Tim has no influence over anyone at Foxconn??

You are smart.

Lol

Indeed, whilst not slagging off Tim Cook there does seem to be a propensity amongst some posters that Apple are blameless, have no control, and it's always the suppliers fault.

The whole 2012 iMac release, which has been rolling on since at least May on these forums, does seem to have been a "whole bag of hurt".

rhoydotp

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2006
A delay is good... there are many Apple customers who need to learn to deal with not having instant gratification all the time.

for an upgrade for an iMac who's been long been left-out of major revamp? may i remind you that you're not talking to iPhone/iPad users here who probably doesn't even know what OSX is :mad:

Antares

macrumors 68000
I'd like to see that blu-ray's quality when you scratch that disc, lose it on a house fire/natural disaster or lend it to a friend who never gives it back. That's right it's gone forever. Are you seriously arguing that a few levels of quality increase (which is barely noticeable to the average person) is worth more than longevity and reusability?

Using your first statement:

It seems you contradict yourself. Blu-ray is certainly not a value for money in comparison to a digital download which is:
1: re-downloadable (lifespan is forever)
2: can be stored in multiple devices
3: safely and securely stored on Apple's servers

So either your arguments for blu-ray is baseless or you're just complaining about value for money. Which is it? :rolleyes:

Sorry, but the DVD's, Blu-ray's and CD's that I buy are usually cheaper than digital downloads. I either buy when things are on sale or buy used. All three of these formats are also of higher visual and audio quality than their digital download counterparts. You can also rip them to get your purely "digital file" versions, if you want. They also often come with digital download versions, anyway.

The discs I buy don't get scratched...so, that's never been anything I've ever had to worry about. I take care of my stuff. Fire and natural disasters are extremely unlikely events. Anything lost would be replaced/reimbursed by insurance, anyway...so, there would be no loss there.

But this is a discussion for another topic, not the delay in iMacs.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Folks are better off getting a mac mini and a 27" monitor which go as low as $250.

Unfortunately you can only get integrated graphics with the Mini. So it's a no-go for many of us.

Me, I just wish they'd bring back the sub-$2000 PowerMac. :(

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
I don't understand why desktop Macs should be thinner? :confused:

Me, neither. In fact, I think Apple should go in the opposite direction and make their products fatter, just like Americans are becoming in general. They should build the Big Mac, with reliable, full-size components, and plenty of room for ventilation and upgrades. At the Apple Store, I'd like to be able to click on a "Supersize Me!" button to configure a BTO Big Mac Ultimate. Tim Cook, instead of talking about how Apple products are "magical," could talk about how they have "the special sauce." But then there would be back-and-forth lawsuits with McDonald's. Maybe the two companies should merge. Imagine how many Apple impulse purchases would result from people who had only gone in for a burger and fries: "You know what? I think I will take an iPad Mini to go, as well." The possibilities are endless.

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Apple was stupid to announce something that wasn't even close to being ready and they don't even have any desktops on sale right now, wow

Same fiasco with iTunes 11

nonillogical

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
I wouldn't be so impatient if I had a computer to use at all right now. My PC died a month ago and I was ready to make the switch, but this IS shaking my faith a bit. If it weren't for the fact that I use a 2011 iMac at work (graphic design), and want to be able to have an identical workflow at home, I would definitely have given up at the first sign of trouble and saved myself some money.

I have no qualms whatsoever with the 2012 specs and am resigned to the price being about what I'd expect...its committing to following nebulous and often perplexing product cycles and buying or needing to buy at the "wrong" time that worries me.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Indeed, whilst not slagging off Tim Cook there does seem to be a propensity amongst some posters that Apple are blameless, have no control, and it's always the suppliers fault.

The whole 2012 iMac release, which has been rolling on since at least May on these forums, does seem to have been a "whole bag of hurt".

Of course it's always a suppliers fault. Apple itself does not build anything ;)

oldwatery

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Maui
I have to admit to a bit of a chuckle over this. Apple have been chasing this whole slim thing for a while which it is IMO so unimportant in a desktop machine. Especially when it affects functionality like being able to swap out components or service things. Let alone the fact that there are still millions of users out here who do use optical drives quite regularly.
BTW I'm sick of the self important fan boys who look down their up turned noses at any one who suggests that optical drives are still relevant. Not everyone thinks and behaves like you so give others a choice too.
Meanwhile this is a kick in the butt for Cooke if true. He is now THE MAN and must take complete responsibility for announcing a machine that they cannot build in sufficient numbers.
Another comeuppance for the mighty and "perfect" Apple.
Shareholders...hold your breath :rolleyes:

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK

I don't understand why not? They once were bulky and heavy, as the technology advanced, they got thinner and thinner! You don't complain about TV being too thin, do you? Not to mention they look lot nicer. Give it a decade or 2, with the nanotechnology... all you are going to have is a thin glass and nothing else ;)

oldwatery

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2003
Maui
I don't understand why not? They once were bulky and hevy, as the technology advances, they got thinner and thinner! You don't complain about TV being too thin, do you? Not to mention they look lot nicer. Give it a decade or 2, with the nanotechnology... all you are going to have is a thin glass and nothing else ;)

Why not...because in this case it clearly affects functionality and usefulness to many people. It's not as if the current crop are thick after all. Plus your analogy to TV's is misplaced in that you don't hang a computer on your wall. So not sure of your point there. This is thin for thin sake.

robjulo

Suspended
Jul 16, 2010
I don't understand why not? They once were bulky and heavy, as the technology advanced, they got thinner and thinner! You don't complain about TV being too thin, do you? Not to mention they look lot nicer. Give it a decade or 2, with the nanotechnology... all you are going to have is a thin glass and nothing else ;)

Functionality didn't stagnate (or even go backwards) as technology advanced. In several ways, with this iteration, it has.

The tv example is terrible. My thin LCD can do everything my old CRT could and much, much more.

Aug 26, 2008
The bottom line is this. Apple has not been able to ship a decent Ivy Bridge based computer, even though the chips were released in....April. Other competitors released machines immediately. Not necessarily pretty machines, but solid machines. We are now approaching 2013 and the release of Haswell.

Apple's insistence on making increasingly compact computers is directly affecting the end users, and they simply do not care. If they made the iMac more in line with HP's Z1 (seen here) would users really be upset? Or would they absolutely LOVE a machine like that? I know I would. That thing is fully repairable, just like a classic desktop. Apple is the one that should be leading this way forward, but they aren't. Not only that, they can't even seem to be able to ship a modern computer. And the Mac Mini's don't really count, they are mobile chips with integrated graphics.

So now we have a situation where Apple is basically selling no good desktops. And don't say it's because desktops are "dying" either. They certainly are not, in the productivity space. There is just no excuse for this really.

Don't the users see what is going on here? Macs are falling way behind, and are under functioning. iOS is looking "stale" with Android iterating and growing far faster. The entire product line is comparatively stagnant. And people sit here defending them...

tod

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2009
Ohio
You waited this long. What's another month?

for an upgrade for an iMac who's been long been left-out of major revamp? may i remind you that you're not talking to iPhone/iPad users here who probably doesn't even know what OSX is :mad:

C62008

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2008

I agree. In the real world, thinness is of zero value compared to actually having the units available. It may be a cliche but it's also true: with Apple it's form waaaay, waaaay, and then a ways more before function.

tod

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2009
Ohio
"Due out in November" != "Definitely will be out in November no matter what."

due == expected, planned, anticipated

While you're waiting a whole month, remember, whining is a choice.

What instant gratification? This has to do with them saying 1 thing and doing another.

Don't say "Due out in November" if it won't be out until 2013.

I'd rather them not announce a release date than giving dates and keep pushing them back.

The iMacs and iTunes 11 probably won't release until 2013.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
They are hardly on the bleeding edge of technology with the iMac. Bleeding edge of trying to cram run of the mill components into a smaller chassis to please guys wearing black square framed glasses and french berets, yes.

Out of interest, what mobile GPU is more "bleeding edge" than the 680MX they're putting in there?

Or are you calling Nvidia's 600 series GPU's and 2560px IPS panels "run of the mill"?

Not sure where you're going with this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.