Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
Let them eat their extrapriced refurbished old machines.....

Didn't you say yesterday that you were buying a windows machine instead? I'm surprised you're still here pouting.

----------

They won't issue a direct response. They'll either post iMacs for sale on Nov 27, or they'll issue a delay notice then.

... or they'll go on sale on November 28, 29, or 30.

----------

Kind of glad cnet picked up this "rumor" because the more credibility the media lends it the more likely Apple will have to respond. I don't expect them to respond to the rumor but at least they could make a definitive announcement yay or nay. I lost a 2007 iMac I used for video editing in a power surge and have been tempted to replace it with a PowerBook/Display combo in light of these delays. The wife won't be happy about the price tag though :(

Apple NEVER responds to rumors like this about unreleased products.

tuccillo

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2012
The only real difference between the 2011 and 2012 model is USB3. The processor difference is trivial, memory is a bit faster. 2012 lacks a DVD - if you need one it cost extra on 2012. 2011 21.5" has 4 memory slot so it can go to 32 GBytes, 2012 can't. Obsolete technology? Hardly.

At least you know you will be buying a new machine, not a two years old machine with obsolete technology priced like gold.... this is the reality about refurbishment in Apple

Siderz

macrumors 6502a
Nov 10, 2012
perhabs it changed from "coming in november" to "coming soon" because its getting delayed?

No, it was always "Coming soon".

But on the actual store page, it said "November" or "December", and still does.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
No, it was always "Coming soon".

But on the actual store page, it said "November" or "December", and still does.

Delays aside, maybe Apple isn't quite ready to admit defeat and still may be able to produce at least some limited supply as stated?

zetti

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2012
I keep getting told it is 27th Nov by various people for the 21.5.. but I am waiting for the 27 inch

tuccillo

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2012
Mine worked out to be $400 less than a 2012 model (will be) when you factor in the price of an Apple external DVD drive. Pretty much a no brainer. There has to be a truly compelling reason to buy the latest model of anything because most of the time the latest models are overpriced.

I just ate mine
Delicious

gegeviana

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2012
I'm sorry but I don't think that FNAC.fr is that trustworthy..it also says that it is predicted that they will start to deliver it after the 30th.. it sounds sort of vague to me

Last edited:

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
I take that rumor with a grain of salt too. Apple web page STILL says november and december. If Apple know for sure no they will not make these dates, why would they deliberately lie and not change it to an even more vague date. So, I still feel stronger that we will see them the promised months, but with ridiculous constraints....

jmhart

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2012
The only real difference between the 2011 and 2012 model is USB3. The processor difference is trivial, memory is a bit faster. 2012 lacks a DVD - if you need one it cost extra on 2012. 2011 21.5" has 4 memory slot so it can go to 32 GBytes, 2012 can't. Obsolete technology? Hardly.

This may be the case when comparing the 21", but the GPU upgrades on the 27" make the 2012 model quite a bit more powerful for applications that rely on it.

Also USB3 is a big deal for a machine with no room internally to add storage, and thunderbolt storage options are still overpriced.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012

Where's the 680MX option on the 2011?

If I can get that, sign me up!

MeFromHere

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2012
This may be the case when comparing the 21", but the GPU upgrades on the 27" make the 2012 model quite a bit more powerful for applications that rely on it.

Also USB3 is a big deal for a machine with no room internally to add storage, and thunderbolt storage options are still overpriced.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new displays to judge the improvement in the screen reflectivity. That has the potential to be a big improvement compared to 2011.

tuccillo

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2012
Yes, for the 2012 21.5" base model, there appears to be little additional GPU improvement over the 2011 21.5" base model. I don't expect the 500 GBs to be filled up - TM backup performance through USB2 isn't an issue. I agree that what you will use the machine for matters, but I would hardly call a 2011 obsolete for the vast majority of users - especially those that only need the base 21.5" model. If you needed the highest levels of GPU performance I suspect you wouldn't be buying an iMac.

----------

OK, fine, point taken, I only care about the 21.5" base models - look at those. It's a home system and I don't play video games.

Where's the 680MX option on the 2011?

If I can get that, sign me up!

NextGenApple

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2011
I hope the trolls saying those people buying 2011 iMacs are buying old tech realise the 2012 iMacs are shipping with Ivy Bridge CPU that came out in April. Or will your need to put people down make you discount that and dream that your 2012 iMac is shopping with latest tech VOU?! Will be outdated in 5-6 months plus is already old.

Who would buy a 7 month old iPhone? Well that's how long Ivy Bridge has been out.

MacMiguel

macrumors regular
Oct 22, 2012
I hope the trolls saying those people buying 2011 iMacs are buying old tech realise the 2012 iMacs are shipping with Ivy Bridge CPU that came out in April. Or will your need to put people down make you discount that and dream that your 2012 iMac is shopping with latest tech VOU?! Will be outdated in 5-6 months plus is already old.

Who would buy a 7 month old iPhone? Well that's how long Ivy Bridge has been out.

Ahhh cool... How could you call an iMac with 500Gb and 4Gb the RAM if it's not an old machine???

Retro-Vintage-Mac?

tuccillo

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2012
Also, IvyBridge is the die shrink of the SandyBridge architecture in the Intel tic/tock strategy. Haswell will be the next architecture change. Anyone planning on buying a 2012 iMac should wait for the Haswell-based iMacs to make sure they aren't buying obsolete technology based on the SandyBridge architecure ;-)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.