Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac

Old Nov 15, 2012, 03:48 PM   #1
camerondtaylor
macrumors newbie

Installing Windows 8 OEM on Bootcamp

My system is a 2010 Macbook Pro running a Core i7 with 8gb RAM.

My boot camp version of XP crashed last year and I deleted the partition. I now need Windows again, and am looking to install Windows 8. I do not have Windows 7 and obviously can't install Windows XP with ease due to Lion Boot Camp restrictions.

I was wondering if anyone has installed a Windows 8 OEM on their Bootcamp. Please let me know if it was straight forward or if you encountered problems. I know about the brightness issues and the trackpad not working (I have a USB mouse).

Thanks
camerondtaylor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15, 2012, 05:57 PM   #2
Bheleu
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerondtaylor View Post
My system is a 2010 Macbook Pro running a Core i7 with 8gb RAM.

My boot camp version of XP crashed last year and I deleted the partition. I now need Windows again, and am looking to install Windows 8. I do not have Windows 7 and obviously can't install Windows XP with ease due to Lion Boot Camp restrictions.

I was wondering if anyone has installed a Windows 8 OEM on their Bootcamp. Please let me know if it was straight forward or if you encountered problems. I know about the brightness issues and the trackpad not working (I have a USB mouse).

Thanks
In one post I read you can get the trackpad working by uninstalling touchpad, installing normal mouse driver, reinstalling touchpad drivers.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/quest...-windows-8-rtm

And the MacRumors version:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1477747
Ah, and the reason for the basic mouse drivers...
Quote:
First go to the bootcamp control panel (in the system tray), and see if there is a tab for the trackpad. If there is, check to make sure "Secondary Click" is checked under "two fingers".

If there isn't a trackpad option, go to the device manager, uninstall the trackpad (you'll need a mouse to navigate). Find the actual drivers, and manually delete them, then re-install the bootcamp drivers.

You may need to check again if secondary click is checked.
Maybe this weekend I will be able to get into the foray of installing Windows 8 on my late 2009 MBP. I have my Seagate 750GB Momentus XT Hybrid (8GB of SSD built into it) standing by to join my 500GB Momentus XT hybrid (4GB of SSD bulit into it).
Bheleu is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac