Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Get the one that best meets your needs.

If you're enmeshed in the Apple ecosystem then buy the iPhone.

Try both out and see which phone you like the most, only you can decide which is the best phone for your needs

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Both are excellent phones. Both run the OS envisioned by their respective companies.

One is half the cost of the other off-contract, but that might not matter to you.

One runs LTE, but that might not matter to you.

They're both wicked fast. Various benchmarks will show one or the other being more or less wickedly fast than the other, but they're both beasts.

The iPhone 5 battery life is, by all accounts, a lot better.

The Nexus 4 has better screen resolution and more ability to customize.

It's like asking which supermodel to choose when you can have either of them. I mean, seriously, you can't lose.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Both are excellent phones. Both run the OS envisioned by their respective companies.

One is half the cost of the other off-contract, but that might not matter to you.

One runs LTE, but that might not matter to you.

They're both wicked fast. Various benchmarks will show one or the other being more or less wickedly fast than the other, but they're both beasts.

The iPhone 5 battery life is, by all accounts, a lot better.

The Nexus 4 has better screen resolution and more ability to customize.

It's like asking which supermodel to choose when you can have either of them. I mean, seriously, you can't lose.

are you sure about this one? I feel like the iphone 5 screen was reviewed as better? or do you just mean the actual resolution is slightly higher?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
are you sure about this one? I feel like the iphone 5 screen was reviewed as better? or do you just mean the actual resolution is slightly higher?
I meant actual resolution, the iPhone's 1136 x 640 is less than the Nexus 4's 1280 x 768. The N4 has about a third more pixels, which might or might not matter to most. The fact that the ppi of both is very similar (326 on the iPhone, 320 on the N4) basically just means that the N4's screen is a third larger, which is a plus and a minus.

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Which should. I get? Why?

Yes I understand I'll be getting biased responses.

You didn't state what history you have with either platform.

As for me, I was all iPhone since it came out in 2007.

Last year the 4S didn't wow me as much as when the 4 came out but I went for it anyway. Possibly due to Siri, which I think so was mostly an artificial limitation for the 4.

Then came the iPhone 5 and I just could not pull the trigger on it. But I have been wanting a larger screen since before the 4S came out (loved the supposed "teardrop" iPhone 5 that was all over the net). I was disappointed that the i5 was basically a slightly stretched 4S. Yes I know it is thinner but I never complained about the size of my 4, or 4S (or prior). Plus, this time there was no artificial limitation imposed on my 4S: I have just about everything that is on the i5 aside from the stretched screen. So there was nothing compelling that woud make be get the i5 and especially to extend my contract for it.

So I ordered the N4 and should get it today. I don't know yet how I will like it compared to my iPhones but I will say I am tired of waiting for iOS jailbreaks so I can use my jb apps that I paid real money for. I'm not a "themer" but I do like extra features that Apple does not allow natively (MyWi, iBlacklist, BiteSMS, etc.).

So far I am liking what I see about the Nexus 4. And for the price, with no contract, there was little risk. If I abhor it I am sure I can sell it for what I paid, if not more.

Michael

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
The iPhone 5 is probably the best overall device on the market. It's quite an amazing little piece of technology. If iOS is your bag, and you like the 4" screen size, then go for it. If you want the customization of Android and/or a big screen, then go there. That's really all there is to it.

Switchback666

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2012
SXM
Stop with these compare stuff and wich is better, if you want/like iOS then you only have 1 choice; if you want to go android theres plenty of devices.

F123D

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2008
Del Mar, CA
A quick look at your post history, seems like you have/had an iPhone and an iPad?

If so, are you fine with iOS or are you looking for change? It's up to you to decide what you want.

MF878

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2011
Auckland, New Zealand
I find the Nexus 4 rather lack-luster. It brings nothing we haven't seen before in other Android devices apart from Android 4.2. I suppose you could say the same thing about the iPhone 5, but it should be obvious from my signature what I chose in the end, although, you'll also note that it suited me because I am very much engrossed in the Apple ecosystem.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
I find the Nexus 4 rather lack-luster. It brings nothing we haven't seen before in other Android devices apart from Android 4.2. I suppose you could say the same thing about the iPhone 5, but it should be obvious from my signature what I chose in the end, although, you'll also note that it suited me because I am very much engrossed in the Apple ecosystem.

Were you expecting some new software or hardware feature?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.