Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MattBookBower

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Bournemouth, England
I'm not too sure about my battery.

It was 100% when I left for work this morning, listened to the radio for about 30 minutes and just general facebook browsing and texting.

Time since full charge is...

Usage - 1 hour 15 mins
Standby - 2 Hours 39 minutes

My battery is currently at 77%, is this correct or do I need to see a Genuis?

Random 995K

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2012
I'm not too sure about my battery.

It was 100% when I left for work this morning, listened to the radio for about 30 minutes and just general facebook browsing and texting.

Time since full charge is...

Usage - 1 hour 15 mins
Standby - 2 Hours 39 minutes

My battery is currently at 77%, is this correct or do I need to see a Genuis?

see a genius

MattBookBower

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Bournemouth, England
see a genius

Thanks for the reply, but on what basis? I have posted in another thread and they are saying that amount of usage is normal?

I'm now down to...

Usage - 2 hours
Standby - 4 Hours 50 Minutes

The battery stands at 61%.

If others belive I might need to see a genius then understand.

Screen brightness is at around 40% and have only got a few things that have location services turned on...

stoneland

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
Thanks for the reply, but on what basis? I have posted in another thread and they are saying that amount of usage is normal?

I'm now down to...

Usage - 2 hours

Screen brightness is at around 40% and have only got a few things that have location services turned on...

This seems like fair usage to me. Some people are really hoping for 10+ usage on a single charge...but the fact is that if you USE your phone it's going to run the battery down. I get anywhere between 5-7 hours of usage before it drains completely.

Jungle Jack

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
Hello,
For those who are having really disappointing results, I highly recommend downloading Carat. It is from UC Berkeley's Amp Lab and it gathers information about your iP and provides you with a Score, Bug Report, and Hog Report. Check out the reviews for it as they all seem quite positive.
Cheers,
JJ

MattBookBower

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Bournemouth, England
This seems like fair usage to me. Some people are really hoping for 10+ usage on a single charge...but the fact is that if you USE your phone it's going to run the battery down. I get anywhere between 5-7 hours of usage before it drains completely.

This is what confuses me, I mean I have been using it quite a bit, but just for general things, rather than streaming or watching videos etc, no locations turned on and I'm now on 49%...

Usage - 3 hours 6 mins
Standby - 7 hours 53 mins

I just think it's draining quicker than it should for some reason...

Thanks for your reply though.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area

I'm now down to...

Usage - 2 hours

Nowhere near what I get. I would probably be at 80% with that usage. Something is wrong.

Edit: see attached. Over 2 hours usage and 83%. Of course, 2 hours can be a lot of different kinds of usage, but still.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 93

MattBookBower

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Bournemouth, England
Nowhere near what I get. I would probably be at 80% with that usage. Something is wrong.

Edit: see attached. Over 2 hours usage and 83%. Of course, 2 hours can be a lot of different kinds of usage, but still.

Yeah I do think something is not right either if I'm honest.

What I have attached is my current sit-rep.

Attachments

• IMG_0363.PNG
    IMG_0363.PNG
    108.2 KB · Views: 97

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
from the battery life thread...

16GB AT&T LTE and WiFi. Safari, text, email, Facebook, no games and no music. pretty damn good if you ask me. I actually couldn't get this thing to die and I was at 1% for 20mins until I decided to take a screen shot then plug it in. I love this battery.

null-2.png
I just beat my previous calibration by ALOT with an extra 4hrs of standby. I LOVE this battery. all the same but only 1 game this time and maybe for 10mins, pandora for 30mins. this time the phone died with about 10hrs and 25mins of usage. I just didnt get a screen shot of it.

null-10.png

MattBookBower

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2012
Bournemouth, England
I just beat my previous calibration by ALOT with an extra 4hrs of standby. I LOVE this battery. all the same but only 1 game this time and maybe for 10mins, pandora for 30mins. this time the phone died with about 10hrs and 25mins of usage. I just didnt get a screen shot of it.

null-10.png

Them screen shots definately lead me to believe I've got an issues with mine...

Semp1

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2012
NYC
Hey first post and ill be honest I get constant texts through out the day and my iPhone battery gets destroyed with in 6 hours. I keep auto brightness off and the brightness at about 30% consistently. I shut most of the "hidden" location services off and try and keep bluetooth and wifi off when I'm not using it. The simple fact is a phone with LTE just isn't going to be crazy when it comes to the battery. Shutting LTE off will boost the battery life dramatically. Unfortunately for those on anything but AT&T sacrifice fast speeds with LTE off. With AT&T in NYC with LTE on I get an average of 40mbps with a max of 57mbps dl speeds and with it off just using HSPA+ I get about 7-14mbps on average. So either way in NYC the data service is good. I know Verizon is only getting 1mbps with LTE off using their cdma tech and Sprint doesn't even have LTE coverage in NYC so the options are scarce unless you have AT&T here when it comes to conserving battery life.

KidStallyn

macrumors 6502
Mar 6, 2008
Here's my crappy battery life ... Advice to fix?

View attachment 377691

Im in the same boat. This is my second phone. I've followed the DFU restore instructions, set up as a new phone.....turned virtually everything off. I've reset all settings. The other night I even did an erase everything and started over. I'm really getting frustrated. I have to carry the cord with me wherever I go. The only thing I do is listen to music and check facebook and twitter. that's it. There's no reason why the battery should drain so flippin fast. I lost 3% driving into work this morning, and I didn't do ANYTHING. Screen off, no music, nothing.....

Im really considering heading to the apple store today......

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
Im in the same boat. This is my second phone. I've followed the DFU restore instructions, set up as a new phone.....turned virtually everything off. I've reset all settings. The other night I even did an erase everything and started over. I'm really getting frustrated. I have to carry the cord with me wherever I go. The only thing I do is listen to music and check facebook and twitter. that's it. There's no reason why the battery should drain so flippin fast. I lost 3% driving into work this morning, and I didn't do ANYTHING. Screen off, no music, nothing.....

Im really considering heading to the apple store today......

You should take it in. I don't know what's up with it, but that's awful and not as it should be. Unfortunately, you've done all the things I can think of to suggest. Perhaps you have a rogue app?

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
Today mostly texting
Some email and light web browsing over LTE should I wipe and start fresh?

i would start there.

i get in the habbit of deleting any apps running in the background throughout the day. notice i always have bluetooth on and WiFi is also always on along with push email. brightness is about 40% and locations are on.

----------

iCloud could also have a major effect on your battery.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Mine.

WiFi On, BT Off, 3G On, Location Services On and Auto-Brightness On.

Usage = Music for about 1hr, brief Web surfing and YouTube, 1 or 2 Calls (including Skype), few SMS and Whatsapp, tons of iMessage, brief Maps, brief Bejewelled, Push Email (3 accounts), Push Contacts, and Push Calendar.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    108 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Seeing this kind of battery life amazes me. It's like iPad battery life. I think we all expected pretty bad battery, I mean the 4S had average battery life from what I saw.

I guess it's due to how Apple made/packaged the other internals, because it's certainly not the 1400-something battery. 7+ hours of screen time is pretty damn good.

AAPLinc

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2012
Hollywood, CA
Seeing this kind of battery life amazes me. It's like iPad battery life. I think we all expected pretty bad battery, I mean the 4S had average battery life from what I saw.

I guess it's due to how Apple made/packaged the other internals, because it's certainly not the 1400-something battery. 7+ hours of screen time is pretty damn good.

I get 9 hours of use and 25 hours of standby on my 4S. Dont know if that's average or above. I must have gotten lucky and got a freak or something.

MusclezMarinara

macrumors newbie
Mar 1, 2011
i would start there.

i get in the habbit of deleting any apps running in the background throughout the day. notice i always have bluetooth on and WiFi is also always on along with push email. brightness is about 40% and locations are on.

----------

iCloud could also have a major effect on your battery.

Me too always closing apps hardly using wifi but I will try to shut off LTE maybe that will help. Just sucks to limit a device.

jimi78

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2010
Carlsbad, CA
Started to recalibrate my second 5 after first had horrid battery life and this is my new happy result! Really starting to love this phone more now ha. I'll probably drain it one more time but this is regular use and even letting pandora stream going to sleep while on iOS timer.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 85

D A

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
I've gotten some pretty amazing battery life so far. It's still running despite sitting on 1% for nearly 5 hours.

Attachments

• photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    107.8 KB · Views: 112

BBtoIP5

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
I've turned off Bluetooth, Location Services, Push. I have Auto-Brightness on, and Fetch hourly.

There is no LTE where I live. The left screenshot is with 3G on, the right screenshot is with 3G off. Everything else is set exactly the same. Obviously having 3G/4G/LTE on will drain considerable battery.

My girlfriend and I have the exact same setup, and our batteries drain at about the same rate. My brother has everything turned on, BT, Location Services, 3G, and yet he gets longer batter life.

The only difference between all 3 of us is.. he has a new sim which he got last year. My gf's and I have sims that are about 6 years old.

So I'm wondering if having an older SIM will cause more data or battery drain on the iphone? I'm thinking about changing to a new SIM and see if there's any difference.

Attachments

• photo(1).PNG
    photo(1).PNG
    108.1 KB · Views: 108
  • photo.PNG
    photo.PNG
    108.1 KB · Views: 96
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.