Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following yesterday's delivery of some early pre-orders of the LTE versions of the iPad mini and fourth-generation iPad to U.S. customers, Apple's three major U.S. carrier partners AT&T, Verizon, and Sprint have all announced that they are beginning sales of the devices today.

ipad_mini_cellular.jpg

Apple has not made any official announcement about availability of the LTE models, and users in our forums are so far reporting scant availability of the devices, particularly the iPad mini, at the company's own retail stores. We did hear from one reader who was able to purchase an LTE fourth-generation iPad at an Apple store late yesterday, but many others are not having luck so far.

Most of Apple's retail stores do not open until 10:00 AM, but some readers have received reports from employees already on-site indicating that availability is very limited, and one reader reports that the company's 24-hour flagship store on Fifth Avenue in Manhattan does not have any LTE iPad mini models at the moment.

Article Link: Apple's Major U.S. Carrier Partners Officially Launch LTE iPad Mini and Fourth-Generation iPad

Last edited:

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
limited, jeez. Feels like every new apple product is limited.

Well, they have more distributors than ever before and more iPads to sell than ever before. I'm sure they *could* make more, but they also have to make iPhones and Macs. Also, it creates a good marketing opportunity. I don't think that's the primary reason they're limited, but it's certainly a convenient benefit from it.

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
Well, they have more distributors than ever before and more iPads to sell than ever before. I'm sure they *could* make more, but they also have to make iPhones and Macs. Also, it creates a good marketing opportunity. I don't think that's the primary reason they're limited, but it's certainly a convenient benefit from it.

True. But seems even with the demand, Apple is struggling to complete production on time. The last 3 product releases have been a disaster imo as far as availability goes. First with 15" retina, then the iPhone 5 (expected, but its been 2 months now), now with the iPad mini/LTE. Furthermore, they're expected to delay iMacs. I wonder how much of a shortage of those they'll have at launch.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

I think the issue is that they chose 2012 to release completely new versions of lots of products (iPad mini, 15" and 13" MacBook Pros with Retina Display, iPhone 5, iMac). It turns out that these products are so precisely engineered that Foxconn is having difficulty keeping up.

What we may be seeing is the influence of Jony Ive. Product shortages were the norm in the Steve Jobs era, as design always won out over engineering. It seemed with the iPhone 4S and 3rd gen iPad that those days were over, as Apple had plenty of supply. However, the iPhone 5 shortages combined with the iMac delays and iPad mini shortages seem to indicate that perhaps they are back, at least for this generation.

Fortunately, 2013 should have mostly "S" type updates (iPhone 5S, 2nd gen iPad mini perhaps with Retina Display, spec bumps on the rMBP line, etc).

jashic

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2006

This type of marketing goes against you when the person who's waiting buys another product instead.

There are many reasons Apple's stock value is down almost $200 per share in less than a month. This is at least a small portion of it.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
This type of marketing goes against you when the person who's waiting buys another product instead.

There are many reasons Apple's stock value is down almost $200 per share in less than a month. This is at least a small portion of it.
The main reason Apple's share price is down may simply be profit taking :eek:

ArchAndroid

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2012
London, England

Just got word from an inside source that the upcoming release schedule will be as follows:

17th Dec 2012 - Powerbook G5

7th Jan 2013 - LTE iPads + iPad Mini

4th February 2013 - Bare iMac
18th February 2013 - iMac with Power Plug
25th March 2013 - iMac with Keyboard, Trackpad + Power Plug

31st February 2013* - Mac Pro

*read between the lines

:cool:

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
How come other places always have more stock than Apple.com? Like right now, you can order an iPhone 5 from Verizon and have it shipped today.

Same deal with the iPad mini. I understand Verizon just put their models up for sale, but they have instant availability of that and the iPhone. Where as Apple lists 2-3 weeks.

Jetson

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2003
I received my iPad 4 yesterday, November 15, 2012.

I tracked it via FedEx from the factory in Chendu, China, though Anchorage, Alaska, then Memphis, TN, and finally here in N. California.

It works perfectly. The screen is brilliant, sharp and the color temperature is a cool white (not yellow tinge). I guess that means that I received a Samsung LED screen rather than LG? :D

I'm loving it! Sure I'd much rather have a slightly smaller, much lighter iPad Mini with Retina, which does not exist. So I'm happy and satisfied.

The only hitch I had with my iPad 4 was getting my Verizon account switched over to the new tablet. While the lady on the phone was extremely helpful, their procedures and software seems quite primitive. I mean with a company such as Virgin Mobile, when I get a new phone, I simply go to their website and enter the new phone's ID and voila, it's working. With Verizon you have to call them and go through a lenghty (almost 1 hour) routine to get set up. I even had to pry the sim card out of the iPad and try to read the teeny tiny numbers to them. Ridiculous!

Other than that, I'm pleased as punch :cool:

tbayrgs

macrumors 604
Jul 5, 2009
Apple Store in Tampa said I can check online tonight at 10 pm as they're expecting their first batch tomorrow.

technopimp

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2009
Hmm... go to AT&T. Add $10/mo to my 10GB Family Share. Save $100 on iPad Mini LTE... making it $359...

WIN?

Are you going to use cellular data on your mini every single month? Because you'll have to agree to a 2-year commitment to "save" the $100. Which = $240 worth of service.

If you're not going to use it every month, I think you'd be better off either paying-as-you-go, or adding it to your share plan and then dropping (if you can do without paying any fees, which I haven't been able to confirm).

TUD

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2008
Typing this from a wi-fi mini @ my local Apple store. No LTE sales today. Reserve online after 10p I was told. I also went to Best Buy beforehand and they did not have any as well.

KhrisGarcia

macrumors member
Jul 21, 2011
How come other places always have more stock than Apple.com? Like right now, you can order an iPhone 5 from Verizon and have it shipped today.

Same deal with the iPad mini. I understand Verizon just put their models up for sale, but they have instant availability of that and the iPhone. Where as Apple lists 2-3 weeks.

The Verizon website has had the iPhone 5 slated for 11/16 for a few weeks now. We ordered one for our daughter a week ago. Hopefully it goes out today.

----------

Are you going to use cellular data on your mini every single month? Because you'll have to agree to a 2-year commitment to "save" the $100. Which = $240 worth of service.

If you're not going to use it every month, I think you'd be better off either paying-as-you-go, or adding it to your share plan and then dropping (if you can do without paying any fees, which I haven't been able to confirm).

Also can look at it this way.... You don't save anything but its $5 a month for 2 years. Not a bad deal considering Verizon doesn't even offer a discount.

jdegid

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
Just got word from an inside source that the upcoming release schedule will be as follows:

17th Dec 2012 - Powerbook G5

7th Jan 2013 - LTE iPads + iPad Mini

4th February 2013 - Bare iMac
18th February 2013 - iMac with Power Plug
25th March 2013 - iMac with Keyboard, Trackpad + Power Plug

31st February 2013* - Mac Pro

*read between the lines

:cool:

HAH! I see what you did there ;)

checked my local AT&T and they're still asleep.

Bobtodd

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2011
Stores received 3G iPads on Wednesday, told not to sell till given the ok. No 3G iPad minis yesterday. Stores are told to hold stock from each days delivery for online orders at night and sell through what's left next day. Just the same as all major product release. Best way to get one is order online and then pick up in store.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
The Verizon website has had the iPhone 5 slated for 11/16 for a few weeks now. We ordered one for our daughter a week ago. Hopefully it goes out today.

I did notice that. Hopefully it goes out for her today. And Apple does exaggerate on their shipping times, but Verizon has always seem to have had better stock for whatever reason.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.