Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

asimmd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
UK
HI All

I understand that I don't have to buy the Apple External DVD Drive,so could you recommend one that is compatible with the Mac Mini.

Which one do you use?

Thanks

Alan

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I'd say any one you find on amazon or microcenter. DVD drive are for the most part just generic components.

asimmd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
UK
Thanks for the reply

As this is my very first Mac,I am not sure which components are Mac specific.

Off to Amazon to have a look.

Alan

rshock

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
I just picked up the 'Blu-Ray USB External Player' from Amazon this week. Reads Blu-Ray, reads and burns DVDs for about $50 with free shipping. I plugged it into my Mini, and it worked right out of the box. It's powered off the USB bus, so that's one less cord that I have to worry about. Very pleased so far.

Kaloman

macrumors newbie
Oct 25, 2012
Thumbs down from me. You can get slimline, USB-powered drives for half as much from Amazon and Newegg. Smaller, lighter, cheaper, and fewer cables.

It's not that big, it is only about $20 more, has some nice software, and it's faster. People use their drives only a very small fraction of the time that they are on the computer, so having it's own power supply that you can turn off is a good thing. Opposed to having it bus powered and on at all times. :D

Last edited:

Sean869

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
Dorset, United Kingdom
I have one of these ..... Samsung SE-208AB/TSBS 8 x DVD+/-RW Slim Portable External DVD Writer - Black. Currently £21.74 on Amazon including the postage. Works a treat, Im very happy with it.

asimmd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
UK
Thanks Sean

Just ordered the Samsung,it's always nice to hear from someone
who actualy has one.

Alan

I have one of these ..... Samsung SE-208AB/TSBS 8 x DVD+/-RW Slim Portable External DVD Writer - Black. Currently £21.74 on Amazon including the postage. Works a treat, Im very happy with it.

Same here. IMO, this Samsung DVD Writer is to be highly recommended, even without the relatively low price. I've had no issues with it since buying my Mac Mini over a year ago.

asimmd

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 24, 2012
UK
Thanks gregorsamsa

Nice to know it gets a seal of approval from 2 users.

It's always difficuly buying something priced as well as this,it's not
possible to know if it is a good buy until you actually get it.

Alan

Thanks gregorsamsa

Nice to know it gets a seal of approval from 2 users.

It's always difficuly buying something priced as well as this,it's not
possible to know if it is a good buy until you actually get it.

Alan

Thanks, but you're welcome!

By the by, as much as some people resented Apple getting rid of the previous Mini's internal optical drive, from what I've read, they tended to be one of the first parts to develop a fault in an otherwise highly reliable computer.

Also, the repairs were hardly worth the money if falling outside of Apple Care warranty.

These Samsung drives seem reliable enough + the extra space any external DVD drive takes up is fairly negligible. I've no complaints.

mwhities

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2011
Mississippi
My manager gave me one he had laying around the office (no telling how long) to use with my Mac mini work station. It's Dell branded and works well. Just sucks as it takes up two USB ports.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.