Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:28 AM   #476
Drunken Master
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gates View Post
How was it irrational ?

I'm pretty sure I rationalized my position. Clearly too !

Maybe you have comprehension problems ?

Or GOD FORBID anyone say ANYTHING cross about the all mighty Apple. Or present an opinion that isn't mindless ass kissing ......

Good Grief
Why do you put a space in between words and punctuation? Five periods for an ellipses? Randomly capitalized words? It makes you look crazy, dude. Trust me, when I worked at a newspaper we would get letters from bonafide crazy people and they wrote much in the same manner.

And all you post on here is complaining about Apple. Not saying it's an infallible company but seriously, you come off as some sort of subtle troll. It's like if I were to post on a Fandroid forum and only complain about how Google is messing up.

At that point, I'm the one with the real problems.
Drunken Master is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:31 AM   #477
G4DP
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameoblue View Post
These new iMacs are thinner for a simple reason and it is not because of looks.
The 2011 27" weight is 30.5 lbs. The new 27" is listed as weighing 21 lbs. That is a huge difference in weight when a company ships them from China to destination. Shipping companies charge their customers by weight of the product. So consider this, Apple sells 1 million new 27" iMacs (at 9.5 lbs less per unit than previous version) that equates to 9,500,000 pounds less shipping weight.... 9.5 million less pounds Apple has to pay for shipping. Apple like any responsible company will save a buck to make a buck. No optical drive is another way for them to make a profit. Personally I could care less if it is thinner or if it has a bulge in the back. When I use my machine the only thing I am looking at is the front face and that looks good to me. Quit whining, nobody is forcing anybody to buy one. I do find it deceiving that Apple is deliberately avoiding to show the bulge at the back. All companies try to deceive the public to make their products look better unfortunately I/We try to hold Apple to a higher standard. I think usually Apple does deliver to a higher standard but not this time.
Which mean that they should be cheaper to make and therefore cheaper to buy. Apple is selling you less for more money. God, no wonder they make so much when customers are willing to pay more for less.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 05:36 AM   #478
lifeshaper
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4DP View Post
Which mean that they should be cheaper to make and therefore cheaper to buy. Apple is selling you less for more money. God, no wonder they make so much when customers are willing to pay more for less.
In a sense, you're right. But you also have to remember that as components become smaller they become more expensive to manufacture. Although the manufacture price is nowhere near as high as the retail price.

Sidenote: Just as well I didn't buy one, then.

Last edited by lifeshaper; Nov 16, 2012 at 05:37 AM. Reason: on topic edit ;)
lifeshaper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:10 AM   #479
Sacird
macrumors 6502a

Best part of all is that if Apple made the iMac into an iMac pro and made it more like the HP Z1 and touted how great it is for professional use and the benefits of making it larger then the people excited about "thinner edges" would be doing a complete 180 right now.

Even though the techs are used to cracking all this stuff open I would still think some of them hate their job. As much as I do think J. Ive does awesome designs, I believe he would be better with a filter to syphon out the BS ideas. Or just plain weird ones.
Sacird is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:34 AM   #480
greenmeanie
macrumors 6502a

So we will tell people they can buy them but they really can't?
LAMO
greenmeanie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:48 AM   #481
Phx08
macrumors member

Apple.com still says November / December for 21.XX" / 27" respectively...just saying
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:50 AM   #482
Aluminum213
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phx08 View Post
Apple.com still says November / December for 21.XX" / 27" respectively...just saying
Apple.com said iTunes 11 was coming in October till the last day of October

Just saying

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmeanie View Post
So we will tell people they can buy them but they really can't?
LAMO
Tim cook era, no iMacs on sale for a month
TV (3rd Gen)
Aluminum213 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:52 AM   #483
Phx08
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminum213 View Post
Tim cook era, no iMacs on sale for a month
We want that which we can't have. Marketing genius.....just saying

PS lets keep this "just saying" going...your turn
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:01 AM   #484
Naimfan
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by realeric View Post
I don't understand why desktop Macs should be thinner?
Exactly.

Part of the reason I've not had an iMac in a long time is that it's easier to work on a laptop (MB or MBP - obviously not the MBA or rMBP).

Apple is allowing form to dictate function, and in the long run it will be to their detriment.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:15 AM   #485
aliensporebomb
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb Send a message via Skype™ to aliensporebomb
Hmmm.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertilized-egg View Post
It does look like they are spending a lot on extra manufacturing capacity overall. They just outspent Intel of all people last quarter for CapEx

Unfortunately we're not sure how much of that is toward the new Cinema Display.
Apple Television anyone?

That being said the lack of the dual analog/digital input is a pain in the butt - it means my entire audio chain upstream of the Mac would have to be replaced - I'd have to get a USB3 or Thunderbolt digital audio interface and then scuttle a perfectly good audio mixer to boot. No thanks. My 2009 iMac is fine.

Last edited by aliensporebomb; Nov 16, 2012 at 09:30 AM.
aliensporebomb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:25 AM   #486
Judas1
macrumors 6502a

Apple keeps jumping the gun in their design. They wanted a really thin desktop but the components aren't there yet to make it happen without making some compromises. They did it with the colored iMacs. Way too soon for an all in one, the tech wasn't there yet. They did it when they removed the floppy disk drive pre-maturely also. Everybody had to get an external zip drive just to be able to move files around. They're currently doing it to optical drives. It's still a couple of years off before we can abandon optical drives, yet they've removed it from all of their new lineups.
Judas1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 09:36 AM   #487
Aluminum213
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Tim Cook did say we were in the post PC era, just saying
TV (3rd Gen)
Aluminum213 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:24 AM   #488
xgman
macrumors 68040

Quote:

I'm really hoping we blew this whole thing out of proportion. "just sayin" . . . . .
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:41 AM   #489
aliensporebomb
macrumors 65816

Send a message via AIM to aliensporebomb Send a message via Yahoo to aliensporebomb Send a message via Skype™ to aliensporebomb
So

So basically people are upset about a rumor being trotted out by a french website with uncertain track record probably based on what was said in the earnings call by Tim Cook.

Fascinating.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:42 AM   #490
Luap
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by neversink View Post
In my business, I don't want to buy another device for already cluttered desks. I want to be able to rely upon a computer company who will provide the latest computing power on a reliable basis, and not strip it to bare bones, by eliminating the dvd drive, which is very important in my work. This delay in release is insane and is hurting my business.
Yeah right..
Luap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:49 AM   #491
marzer
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by aliensporebomb View Post
So basically people are upset about a rumor being trotted out by a french website with uncertain track record probably based on what was said in the earnings call by Tim Cook.

Fascinating.
But just look at all attention this is getting on the interwebz. There must be something to this!
marzer is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:09 PM   #492
righteye
macrumors 6502

[QUOTE=Sacird;16307712]Best part of all is that if Apple made the iMac into an iMac pro and made it more like the HP Z1 and touted how great it is for professional use and the benefits of making it larger then the people excited about "thinner edges" would be doing a complete 180 right now. [..]

HP Z1 now thats Good design i own a mac pro but if apple made the iMac into an iMax(HP Z1 style) i would definitely buy one, personally make a computer so difficult for a user or even a skilled technician really riles me.
The "old" version isn't even still for sale is it? and the rufurb store has none either.

http://reviews.cnet.co.uk/desktops/h...view-50008380/

Last edited by righteye; Nov 16, 2012 at 01:03 PM.
righteye is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:23 PM   #493
Phx08
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluminum213 View Post
Tim Cook did say we were in the post PC era, just saying
AAPL isn't doing too well...too many owned it going up and too many own it going down...just saying..
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:48 PM   #494
Yojimbo007
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by G4DP View Post
Making some thing smaller is not cheaper!
He is saying shipping will be cheaper.
But u have new screen tecnology which is more expensive.
U have the fusion drive innovation ., which us more expensive.
U have faster processors which is more expensive
And u have much more powerful graphics card .. Which is more expensive.

U are getting a much better computing device for about the same..
Plus it looks damn sleek!

Optical drive issue.. Spend 50 bucks and get an extrnal one if i is that important.. Big deal.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judas1 View Post
Apple keeps jumping the gun in their design. They wanted a really thin desktop but the components aren't there yet to make it happen without making some compromises. They did it with the colored iMacs. Way too soon for an all in one, the tech wasn't there yet. They did it when they removed the floppy disk drive pre-maturely also. Everybody had to get an external zip drive just to be able to move files around. They're currently doing it to optical drives. It's still a couple of years off before we can abandon optical drives, yet they've removed it from all of their new lineups.
Have u heard usb key chain flash drives?
Or external optical drives.
Or drop box?
Icloud.
Etc
Yojimbo007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 12:53 PM   #495
obsoletepower
macrumors regular

The Tim Cook Apple paradigm is looking pretty cloudy right now. Not to sound cliche but Steve Jobs was a visionary and a forward-thinker. From an early age he admired fine art and elegance and strived for perfection in all elements of design and engineering. He learned from his father that the same attention to detail must be maintained for items that are hidden or out of sight as for items that are always visible. In other words, take pride in your work and do not cut corners to save a buck. He wanted everybody around him to be as meticulous as he was.

I do not see this same attributes in Tim Cook. The passion for the products seems absent. He may be a great business-man but if he leads the company by the books of the investors he is making a huge mistake, one that is starting to rear its ugly head. Apple has not felt the same since Steve passed away and I don't mean that in an obvious way. Everything from keynotes to product releases to hardware specs has felt like they are turning into a shareholder-pleaser instead of a people-pleaser.

I could be wrong but the business performance is painting a pretty clear picture.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:29 PM   #496
Cameoblue
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gates View Post
If they ship it too soon they might forget important parts ...like a CD/DVD writer/reader

I mean seriously, who wants an all in one desktop that doesn't have the "All" part ? ? ?

Its thinner, yes, but who gives a crap ? You're not slipping it in your pocket , what't the point ?

ALL IN ONE ?

The point is it is 9.5 pounds lighter which costs the company less on shipping/importing raw materials AND less to ship the final product. See my previous post. It is all about making a profit, no company cares what you think as long as the profit is still there.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSayuSay View Post
By keeping the old design, iMac could have better space, airflow and cooling. Less chance to overheat.

Fine, this is 2012, ditch the SuperDrive. Yet they can always keep the Fusion Drive, GTX680MX, less reflective screen and all the new features without reducing the thickness and save itself unnecessary problems. What can't be achieved by keeping the old [thick] design? It's a desktop anyway.

Have you seen 4th gen iPad teardown? Have you seen what advantage did the Lightning port brought over the old dock?
  • Save some space? Nope
  • Help them to fit some additional/improved components? Nope
  • Bring additional port functionality? Nope
  • Help reduce thickness? Nope
  • Faster transfer rate? Nope
  • Bring new compatibility problems? Yep
  • Need new expensive (yet limited) accessories? Yep

Some things just don't need to be thinner. New iMac included. So yes, "Why did they make it thinner"
Why did they make it thinner? See my previous post for your answer.
Cameoblue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:34 PM   #497
Aluminum213
macrumors 65816

With the new thinner and lighter iMac I can finally take it to Starbucks!
TV (3rd Gen)
Aluminum213 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:46 PM   #498
xgman
macrumors 68040

There sure are a lot of posts in these forums that would lead you to believe that Apple has it all wrong. That they are complete idiots running the company making bad choices and producing badly designed products. I wish I could produce bad products and make billions of dollars and stir up so much buzz in the forums and news sources. Oh well...... Or, maybe, just maybe they know what they are doing.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 01:53 PM   #499
dearlaserworks
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameoblue View Post
no company cares what you think as long as the profit is still there.
I own a company and that is simply untrue for most successful companies, Apple included.
dearlaserworks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:32 PM   #500
atthecross
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by xgman View Post
I'm really hoping we blew this whole thing out of proportion. "just sayin" . . . . .
lol, me too
atthecross is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion