Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steve J0bs

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008
Oh, I'm sorry, you must be confused.

Let me help you out.

Nobody has anything against computers getting thinner.

It's when they compromise useful parts JUST to make it thinner ...at the same price.....that's when we all start scratching our heads wondering if it's worth it.

You must have been one of those guys who hated when Apple dropped the floppy drive, am i right?

I don't worry about the specs too much anymore. Computers are plenty fast for the average users day to day tasks. If the user experience isn't suffering (no spinning beach ball), i am personally all for the making the iMac thinner. Call me crazy i know!:D

----------

You people do know you can just get this if you really miss the optical drive that much.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD564ZM/A/apple-usb-superdrive

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
You must have been one of those guys who hated when Apple dropped the floppy drive, am i right?

Depends whether or not one needed a floppy to do what they bought the computer to do.

You people do know you can just get this if you really miss the optical drive that much.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MD564ZM/A/apple-usb-superdrive

What's the point of a "sleek, ridiculously thin all-in-one" if you have to surround it with external USB and T-Bolt devices?

What's the point?

katewes

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
Phil Schiller needs to have a "Liar Liar" experience - as in what happened to the Jim Carey character in that movie "Liar Liar".

Imagine Phil Schiller being unable to stop himself saying: "We created an optical illusion by making the iMac's edge to be ultra-thin, but shifted all the innards of the iMac into the centre, such that the centre is fat, even though the edge is razor thin. And to achieve this optical illusion, we deleted the DVD drive which some of you - not all, but some of you -- need for your day to day work, but we're willing to shaft those people who need DVD drives so that we can create this optical illusion of thinness, since Apple's prime goal is to make piles of money, and it has been stated since the days of Jobs that we can't please everyone, so it doesn't bother us if we are not pleasing our customers - as long as they keep giving us money. Oh, one more thing, even though there is technology to make screen glass virtually reflection-free, such as the glass that museums use, Apple chose to keep 25% of the reflection so that the iMac would be shiny to appeal to those customers who are sucked in by shiny objects. We could have eliminated all the glare, but we chose to only make it only 75% less reflective, and, as I said, we don't care if we don't please everyone. The 25% of glare, that we chose to retain, is important to Apple because our prime, and actually only goal, is to have a shiny object that we can display in our Apple Stores to make tons of lovely money. If we had used museum glass to eliminate all the glare, then our sales would drop since those consumers who are attracted to shiny objects would not be persuaded to buy our products, so we're willing to shaft those people whose eyes are affected by glare, and we really don't care about those people who get migraine headaches from the glare".

Last edited:

atthecross

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2007
wow 19 pages and no one has been able to say if the French site has a proven record of rumors that turned out to be true

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
Phil Schiller needs to have a "Liar Liar" experience - as in what happened to the Jim Carey character in that movie "Liar Liar".

Imagine Phil Schiller being unable to stop himself saying: "We created an optical illusion by making the iMac's edge to be ultra-thin, but shifted all the innards of the iMac into the centre, such that the centre is fat, even though the edge is razor thin. And to achieve this optical illusion, we deleted the DVD drive which some of you - not all, but some of you -- need for your day to day work, but we're willing to shaft those people who need DVD drives so that we can create this optical illusion of thinness, since Apple's prime goal is to make piles of money, and it has been stated since the days of Jobs that we can't please everyone, so it doesn't bother us if we are not pleasing our customers - as long as they keep giving us money. Oh, one more thing, even though there is technology to make screen glass virtually reflection-free, such as the glass that museums use, Apple chose to keep 25% of the reflection so that the iMac would be shiny to appeal to those customers who are sucked in by shiny objects. We could have eliminated all the glare, but we chose to only make it only 75% less reflective, and, as I said, we don't care if we don't please everyone. The 25% of glare, that we chose to retain, is important to Apple because our prime, and actually only goal, is to have a shiny object that we can display in our Apple Stores to make tons of lovely money. If we had used museum glass to eliminate all the glare, then our sales would drop since those consumers who are attracted to shiny objects would not be persuaded to buy our products, so we're willing to shaft those people whose eyes are affected by glare, and we really don't care about those people who get migraine headaches from the glare".

Uhhhhh

Calm down

neversink

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
We need a current computer. Not design over function

Message to Apple: We need upgrades to our computers. Tim Cook -- You may force my small business' hand and make me go PC, which would not make me happy at all. Personally, I am very worried about Apple.
Mac Pro - Ancient
iMac - delays due to poor design. This is insane --

Design over function is not appreciated or needed. We have iMacs that are nearly 5 years old and they need replacing. Those iMacs are beautiful and we can do some manual upgrades. We don't need fancy welding. We need new computers.

Get real Apple, we need more computer power. We can't wait. Keep your desktop designs simple please. And we do burn lots of CDs and DVDs in our business, so please don't eliminate the DVD drive. That makes it one more piece of equipment we need to purchase and then one more piece of equipment that will clutter someone's desk.

Shame on you Apple. Just give us an up-to-date desktop computer that works. There is no excuse for these delays other than poor planning and poor design. Apple's competition must be drooling. Stop concentrating on litigation and start concentrating on getting top-notch and non-compromised computers out there.

Powen

macrumors newbie
Mar 28, 2012
Singapore
What's the point of a "sleek, ridiculously thin all-in-one" if you have to surround it with external USB and T-Bolt devices?

What's the point?

No one ask you to glue your external USB optical drive on the table where your iMac sits. You can keep it out of sight when you do not need it (which I believe, more than 90% of time for most of the human being).

Apple still makes this external optical drive available for the flexibility of aesthetic & practicality.

That’s the point.

hops57

macrumors newbie
Mar 5, 2010
Heads Need to ROLL

Needing New IMac due to mine being destroyed by lightning. Releasing a product and having none to sell is very poor business practices. It's like those on Ebay who sell you something that they don't really have and then can't get it. Cook or who ever is responsible for this needs to go if apple is going to stay ahead of the curve with product and quality. Who cares if a desktop is thin. For heaven sakes it only sits on a desk. What difference does a half to even one inch in thickness make.
BAD APPLE:mad:

Cavepainter

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2010
Los Angeles
Don't really understand the "why did they make it thinner??" complaints.

This is the iMac I've been waiting for. Significantly better graphics choices, fusion drive, and a less reflective screen. The fact that the machine is thinner and lighter and more aesthetically attractive is just icing on the cake.

Most of making the machine thinner just comes from not having a giant piece of glass over the display, so what could they have gained by keeping the old design? They were never going to put a desktop gpu in the thing, and for most consumers (like myself) the optical drive is a complete waste.

..and you're gonna keep waiting for it, because its not here.

If they HADN'T made it thinner, the manufacturing bottleneck probably wouldn't even exist and it would already be sitting on your desktop and you could be working with it.

If you don't want an optical drive, then don't use it. Problem solved. Why would you be willing to pay the same or even more for something that has less features? Wouldn't you rather have Apple pass the cost savings on to the consumer?

Upandhi

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
Since some people don't care so much about design as opposed to functionality, then the solution for them is to buy the external Super Drive--you don't care, you say, how the set up would look, right?

Obviously, Apple is very much about design which is a big, big part of its success and why people love it. For those who say they only care about function, then there's nothing holding them back from getting their functionality by doing add-ons.

As for those who want their shiny new toys by Christmas, I say Christmas, Shristmas! Why be so obsessed over an arbitrary date. Give your loved ones a pretty card with an IOU, letting them know they'll get their new iMac as soon is it becomes available. I'm sure they'll be happy enough with that. If not then as I say, "Christmas, Shristmas!"

Message to Apple: We need upgrades to our computers. Tim Cook -- You may force my small business' hand and make me go PC, which would not make me happy at all. Personally, I am very worried about Apple.
Mac Pro - Ancient
iMac - delays due to poor design. This is insane --

Design over function is not appreciated or needed. We have iMacs that are nearly 5 years old and they need replacing. Those iMacs are beautiful and we can do some manual upgrades. We don't need fancy welding. We need new computers.

Get real Apple, we need more computer power. We can't wait. Keep your desktop designs simple please. And we do burn lots of CDs and DVDs in our business, so please don't eliminate the DVD drive. That makes it one more piece of equipment we need to purchase and then one more piece of equipment that will clutter someone's desk.

Shame on you Apple. Just give us an up-to-date desktop computer that works. There is no excuse for these delays other than poor planning and poor design. Apple's competition must be drooling. Stop concentrating on litigation and start concentrating on getting top-notch and non-compromised computers out there.

Yojimbo007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 13, 2012
..and you're gonna keep waiting for it, because its not here.

If they HADN'T made it thinner, the manufacturing bottleneck probably wouldn't even exist and it would already be sitting on your desktop and you could be working with it.

If you don't want an optical drive, then don't use it. Problem solved. Why would you be willing to pay the same or even more for something that has less features? Wouldn't you rather have Apple pass the cost savings on to the consumer?

It is not the same... It is much better for the same price.. Except what is better is useful. Like a better screen . Better processer, better graphics card.. And better drive....
U get all that in a sliker design for same price.. And u giveup an internal useless optical drive.

name99

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2004
Snarky, but a good point

So it's going to be 6 months out of spec before it even hits shelves.

Awesome.

Win for Tim.

One has to wonder what has delayed the iMac so much this time round. My suspicion six months ago was that it was waiting for 802.11ac chips, but that's obviously not it. So what? Just a much fancier case?

The delay point however is a good one. One starts to wonder if it's worth waiting an additional 3 months after January, in the hope of getting an iMac with Haswell and 802.11ac. There seems no reason Apple could not deliver that, except an unwillingness to bump models so soon after launch.
All in all very frustrating.

----------

So what you are saying is that Apple should avoid making a computer that is better for 95% of their users in order to make it better for 5% of their users?

That's one hell of an ego you have there...

Cameoblue

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2012
These new iMacs are thinner for a simple reason and it is not because of looks.
The 2011 27" weight is 30.5 lbs. The new 27" is listed as weighing 21 lbs. That is a huge difference in weight when a company ships them from China to destination. Shipping companies charge their customers by weight of the product. So consider this, Apple sells 1 million new 27" iMacs (at 9.5 lbs less per unit than previous version) that equates to 9,500,000 pounds less shipping weight.... 9.5 million less pounds Apple has to pay for shipping. Apple like any responsible company will save a buck to make a buck. No optical drive is another way for them to make a profit. Personally I could care less if it is thinner or if it has a bulge in the back. When I use my machine the only thing I am looking at is the front face and that looks good to me. Quit whining, nobody is forcing anybody to buy one. I do find it deceiving that Apple is deliberately avoiding to show the bulge at the back. All companies try to deceive the public to make their products look better unfortunately I/We try to hold Apple to a higher standard. I think usually Apple does deliver to a higher standard but not this time.

steve119

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2012
Scotland, land of the haggis
We don't need fancy welding. We need new computers.

How can you say that without actually seeing the newiMac first hand, they say the screen is a lot better due to the screen being closer to the glass, so would you not be better equipped to make that judgement after seeing one for yourself, instead of prejudging it? This isn't just aimed at yourself but I don't see how anyone here can slate the glass wielding process until they see it themselves.:rolleyes:

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Needing New IMac due to mine being destroyed by lightning. Releasing a product and having none to sell is very poor business practices. It's like those on Ebay who sell you something that they don't really have and then can't get it. Cook or who ever is responsible for this needs to go if apple is going to stay ahead of the curve with product and quality. Who cares if a desktop is thin. For heaven sakes it only sits on a desk. What difference does a half to even one inch in thickness make.
BAD APPLE:mad:

You can easily walk into a store and buy an iMac if it's needed that urgently. If you are choosing to wait for the late 2012 models then it's hardly Apple's fault.

Macist

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2009
Apple: Make a thin iMac for no reason and make it so tricky to manufacture it misses Christmas. Don't upgrade the MacPro, which people are crying out for.

Superslim iMac is the new Cube - pretty but futile.

What's Jonny Ive's next trick? A laptop that doubles as a toilet seat?

Cancelled
Apr 10, 2012
If the thinner computer equates to a better screen(in that things stand out better) then I will take a thinner computer.....every time.:D

But I don't understand why people are jumping up and down over the optical drive. Its been done away with now, and something tells me they will not u-turn over this.;)

Being thinner has no impact on the quality of the screen.

----------

One has to wonder what has delayed the iMac so much this time round. My suspicion six months ago was that it was waiting for 802.11ac chips, but that's obviously not it. So what? Just a much fancier case?

The delay point however is a good one. One starts to wonder if it's worth waiting an additional 3 months after January, in the hope of getting an iMac with Haswell and 802.11ac. There seems no reason Apple could not deliver that, except an unwillingness to bump models so soon after launch.
All in all very frustrating.

----------

So what you are saying is that Apple should avoid making a computer that is better for 95% of their users in order to make it better for 5% of their users?

That's one hell of an ego you have there...

Judging by how heated this topic is on here I would say it is much more than 5% unhappy at the loss of the optical drive.

My impression based on forum posts on the topic here is that 50% of Mac users want an optical drive.

I would have been much happier with a Mac without the redesign and with the optical drive as an option for those who wanted it.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
.....they say the screen is a lot better due to the screen being closer to the glass

Apart from the addition of the glass, reducing reflection by 75%, I wouldn't believe everything Apple tell you regarding screen quality improvements. Obviously when we eventually get to see one we can make a call on that but the screen is still the same resolution and likely the same backlight technology so the impact of losing the 2mm gap between screen and glass will be interesting. My worry would be that Apple trying to laminate screen to LCD panel has been problematic so I kind of expect to hear complaints regarding that when it hits the stores (who wants to bet money on the age old uneven yellow screen phenomena?).

With all these apparent issues the REV B would look to be more attractive. My guess is the life cycle of this iMac will be a relatively short one with Haswell equipped iMacs, but more importantly engineering tweaks to overcome issues that become apparent in the REV A's, will be released late 3rd quarter / early 4th quarter 2013.

....I don't see how anyone here can slate the glass wielding process until they see it themselves.:rolleyes:

The current rumoured issue is regarding the new welding technique on the chassis, not the glass/screen.

neversink

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Where do you get your 95% and 5% statistics from??? Out of your hat, obviously.
[/COLOR]

That's one hell of an ego you have there...[/QUOTE]

neversink

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
In my business, I don't want to buy another device for already cluttered desks. I want to be able to rely upon a computer company who will provide the latest computing power on a reliable basis, and not strip it to bare bones, by eliminating the dvd drive, which is very important in my work. This delay in release is insane and is hurting my business.

Many of my competitors have gone back to other Windows machines because of Apple's lack of prioritizing their computers. Apple has forgotten their roots.Some of my competitors / colleagues have installed hack-in-tosh machines. What good does that do Apple?

Apple will be losing new business customers which they have been courting. We need function first, then design. We need to be able to have some serviceable parts like RAM, not have it impossible for the user to upgrade. Apple needs to get its act together.

By the way, the old iMacs looked beautiful. Sometimes there is no improvement necessary on design.

Obviously, Apple is very much about design which is a big, big part of its success and why people love it. For those who say they only care about function, then there's nothing holding them back from getting their functionality by doing add-ons.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.