Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bloomberg reports that a new court filing in the ongoing patent dispute between Apple and Google's Motorola Mobility unit reveals that both sides are interested in using binding arbitration in order to resolve the issues related to standards-essential patents at a minimum, if not the entire dispute.
The companies have been exchanging proposals on using binding arbitration to reach a licensing agreement over patents that are essential to comply with industry standards on how phones operate. Such an agreement could lead to a global settlement of all of their patent disputes, Apple said in a filing yesterday.

"Apple is also interested in resolving its dispute with Motorola completely and agrees that arbitration may be the best vehicle to resolve the parties' dispute," Apple said in the filing.
Arbitration would avoid the need for a further protraction of the ongoing court cases, moving the dispute out of the courts and into the hands of a neutral third third party who would review evidence and render a decision that both parties would be legally obligated to accept.

apple_motorola_logos.jpg
The willingness to engage in arbitration is another sign that the mobile companies involved in a vast web of lawsuits may be seeking to wind down their confrontations, with Apple and HTC having announced a settlement in their dispute over the weekend. Apple's major foe is, however, still Samsung and it appears that there may be no settlement in sight for that dispute.

Article Link: Apple and Google's Motorola Unit Seeking Arbitration to Resolve Patent Dispute

maknik

macrumors regular
May 17, 2006
I can't believe Motorola still has that logo. Now that Google owns them, they've really got to replace the 50's bra with something a little more modern.

Last edited:

truettray

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2012
USA
I'm sick of the patent stories... and I'm not saying that against Macrumors. I'm just tired of these corporations being so ridiculous. Here's hoping that the end is in sight.

Optheduim

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2011
NYC
i am 100% all for defending your intellectual property. BUT good... I am so tired of reading legal disputes on this website

Sy7ygy

Suspended
Nov 16, 2012
I'm sick of the patent stories... and I'm not saying that against Macrumors. I'm just tired of these corporations being so ridiculous. Here's hoping that the end is in sight.

The only corporation that is ridiculous is Samsung.

God awful, distasteful company that the world would be a much better place without..

This isn't a 'fanboystic' approach; more personal through use of their dire products.

S

Rocketman

macrumors 603
Frand issues are probably best settled by arbitration anyway. That will give both parties a dose of reality to clarify their thinking on non-Frand rights, which frankly they have every right to go nuclear on. However they all also know a settlement on those issues are a double edged sword. The clarity it brings will give incremental advantage to all included competitors to Apple, where now they are stuck in the mud to some degree. Hence why Steve used such extreme language on this issue. He has them "flummoxed'. Even in death.

Apple can totally afford the expense and drag of lawsuits, and so long as they have as much net profit as all other players combined they have no rational motivation to give.

So there may be an irrational motive. Less conflict. Or the competitor's willingness to pay Apple a license fee for every handset they produce. Either would be to their advantage to be sure almost no matter the cost.

Rocketman

rjohnstone

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2007
PHX, AZ.
I hope not. Android is a stolen OS, it would be disgusting if Google get away with this.
What???
Please stop with this "stolen" nonsense.
It's pure FUD.

Arbitration on contract negotiations is a good path and better than wasting court time.
Plus it doesn't get patents invalidated. ;)

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
If Windows Phone passes Apple in marketshare it would be well deserved. While Android does bring new things to the table, the past of how it is conceived will always leave a bad taste in my mouth. At least if Motorola settles with Apple following the footsteps of HTC, Samsung will be the odd one out and look foolish. Samsung is really gutsy to make it seem as if the concept of the modern smartphone was their idea and while continuing to take jabs at Apple.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
I hope not. Android is a stolen OS, it would be disgusting if Google get away with this.

Repeating it endlessly doesn't make it true. I have yet to see an example of what was truly stolen. It's a complex topic when it comes to the array of patent claims. You can't simply reduce that to a two line description.

JS82712

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2009
Repeating it endlessly doesn't make it true. I have yet to see an example of what was truly stolen. It's a complex topic when it comes to the array of patent claims. You can't simply reduce that to a two line description.

I don't know about android being a stolen OS, but you certainly will shut up if i said Samsung copied apple. :rolleyes:

you people smh

macrumors regular
Oct 20, 2011
The only corporation that is ridiculous is Samsung.

God awful, distasteful company that the world would be a much better place without..

This isn't a 'fanboystic' approach; more personal through use of their dire products.

S

Let's see, if we go to your utopian world where samsung doesn't exist, we lose retina displays, ipads, iphones, ipod touches, etc...

beaner454

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2003
First the iPad mini and now this... RIP, Steve. It's all gone wrong down here.

:apple:

I'm so tired of this, Steve made mistakes and he also went back on his word. But we gave him the benefit of the doubt. Any time Tim does something than we think Steve would have done, we automatically get at least a handful of people claiming that Apple has lost its way.

Steve wasn't infallible, and just because Tim does something different doesn't make him wrong.

LastName

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2010
Musk City Prime, Mars
I'm so tired of this, Steve made mistakes and he also went back on his word. But we gave him the benefit of the doubt. Any time Tim does something than we think Steve would have done, we automatically get at least a handful of people claiming that Apple has lost its way.

Steve wasn't infallible, and just because Tim does something different doesn't make him wrong.

Steve had vision, and that counts for a lot. Tim is excellent at his specialty, which isn't being a visionary.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.