Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:01 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple and Google's Motorola Unit Seeking Arbitration to Resolve Patent Dispute

Bloomberg reports that a new court filing in the ongoing patent dispute between Apple and Google's Motorola Mobility unit reveals that both sides are interested in using binding arbitration in order to resolve the issues related to standards-essential patents at a minimum, if not the entire dispute.
Quote:
The companies have been exchanging proposals on using binding arbitration to reach a licensing agreement over patents that are essential to comply with industry standards on how phones operate. Such an agreement could lead to a global settlement of all of their patent disputes, Apple said in a filing yesterday.

"Apple is also interested in resolving its dispute with Motorola completely and agrees that arbitration may be the best vehicle to resolve the parties' dispute," Apple said in the filing.
Arbitration would avoid the need for a further protraction of the ongoing court cases, moving the dispute out of the courts and into the hands of a neutral third third party who would review evidence and render a decision that both parties would be legally obligated to accept.

The willingness to engage in arbitration is another sign that the mobile companies involved in a vast web of lawsuits may be seeking to wind down their confrontations, with Apple and HTC having announced a settlement in their dispute over the weekend. Apple's major foe is, however, still Samsung and it appears that there may be no settlement in sight for that dispute.

Article Link: Apple and Google's Motorola Unit Seeking Arbitration to Resolve Patent Dispute
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:05 PM   #2
adztaylor
Banned

Send a message via MSN to adztaylor
Good, more talking less courtroom action.
adztaylor is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:05 PM   #3
portishead
Banned

Good. Hopefully Apple and Samsung can hug it out too. It's going to happen eventually I'm sure, hopefully soon.
portishead is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:07 PM   #4
DarkWinter
macrumors member

Less of the thermonuclear then, it would appear.
DarkWinter is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:08 PM   #5
maknik
macrumors regular

I can't believe Motorola still has that logo. Now that Google owns them, they've really got to replace the 50's bra with something a little more modern.

Last edited by maknik; Nov 18, 2012 at 01:55 PM.
maknik is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:09 PM   #6
olowott
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to olowott
Good Stuff, get that out thy way and lets get back to innovation at its finest!!
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:10 PM   #7
truettray
macrumors regular

I'm sick of the patent stories... and I'm not saying that against Macrumors. I'm just tired of these corporations being so ridiculous. Here's hoping that the end is in sight.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:14 PM   #8
Optheduim
macrumors member

i am 100% all for defending your intellectual property. BUT good... I am so tired of reading legal disputes on this website
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:14 PM   #9
ItsWelshy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by portishead View Post
Good. Hopefully Apple and Samsung can hug it out too. It's going to happen eventually I'm sure, hopefully soon.
I hope not. Android is a stolen OS, it would be disgusting if Google get away with this.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:16 PM   #10
camnchar
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to camnchar
Best news I've heard all year.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:18 PM   #11
Rocketman
macrumors 603

Frand issues are probably best settled by arbitration anyway. That will give both parties a dose of reality to clarify their thinking on non-Frand rights, which frankly they have every right to go nuclear on. However they all also know a settlement on those issues are a double edged sword. The clarity it brings will give incremental advantage to all included competitors to Apple, where now they are stuck in the mud to some degree. Hence why Steve used such extreme language on this issue. He has them "flummoxed'. Even in death.

Apple can totally afford the expense and drag of lawsuits, and so long as they have as much net profit as all other players combined they have no rational motivation to give.

So there may be an irrational motive. Less conflict. Or the competitor's willingness to pay Apple a license fee for every handset they produce. Either would be to their advantage to be sure almost no matter the cost.

Rocketman
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:26 PM   #12
rjohnstone
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsWelshy View Post
I hope not. Android is a stolen OS, it would be disgusting if Google get away with this.
What???
Please stop with this "stolen" nonsense.
It's pure FUD.

Arbitration on contract negotiations is a good path and better than wasting court time.
Plus it doesn't get patents invalidated.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:32 PM   #13
Oletros
macrumors 603

Quote:
And exactly what is stolen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy7ygy View Post
Google hide behind the manufacturers, don't be evil.
How it hides behind the manufacturers?

And regarding the thread, it can be a good idea
Oletros is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:36 PM   #14
kockgunner
macrumors 68000

If Windows Phone passes Apple in marketshare it would be well deserved. While Android does bring new things to the table, the past of how it is conceived will always leave a bad taste in my mouth. At least if Motorola settles with Apple following the footsteps of HTC, Samsung will be the odd one out and look foolish. Samsung is really gutsy to make it seem as if the concept of the modern smartphone was their idea and while continuing to take jabs at Apple.
kockgunner is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:36 PM   #15
thekev
macrumors 603

Quote:
Repeating it endlessly doesn't make it true. I have yet to see an example of what was truly stolen. It's a complex topic when it comes to the array of patent claims. You can't simply reduce that to a two line description.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:41 PM   #16
JS82712
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekev View Post
Repeating it endlessly doesn't make it true. I have yet to see an example of what was truly stolen. It's a complex topic when it comes to the array of patent claims. You can't simply reduce that to a two line description.
I don't know about android being a stolen OS, but you certainly will shut up if i said Samsung copied apple.
JS82712 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:42 PM   #17
LastName
macrumors member

First the iPad mini and now this... RIP, Steve. It's all gone wrong down here.

LastName is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:44 PM   #18
duffman9000
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by maknik View Post
I can't believe Motorola still has that logo. Now that Google owns then, they've really got to replace the 50's bra with something a little more modern.
Given how MOTOROLA is plastered all over their phones, I'd take that bra. Imagine if your iPhone had APPLE all over the place.
duffman9000 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:51 PM   #19
you people smh
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy7ygy View Post
The only corporation that is ridiculous is Samsung.

God awful, distasteful company that the world would be a much better place without..

This isn't a 'fanboystic' approach; more personal through use of their dire products.

S
Let's see, if we go to your utopian world where samsung doesn't exist, we lose retina displays, ipads, iphones, ipod touches, etc...
you people smh is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:52 PM   #20
beaner454
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastName View Post
First the iPad mini and now this... RIP, Steve. It's all gone wrong down here.

I'm so tired of this, Steve made mistakes and he also went back on his word. But we gave him the benefit of the doubt. Any time Tim does something than we think Steve would have done, we automatically get at least a handful of people claiming that Apple has lost its way.

Steve wasn't infallible, and just because Tim does something different doesn't make him wrong.
beaner454 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:54 PM   #21
ItsWelshy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by you people smh View Post
Let's see, if we go to your utopian world where samsung doesn't exist, we lose retina displays, ipads, iphones, ipod touches, etc...
Of course not, Apple would just find another monkey to make them.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:55 PM   #22
LastName
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaner454 View Post
I'm so tired of this, Steve made mistakes and he also went back on his word. But we gave him the benefit of the doubt. Any time Tim does something than we think Steve would have done, we automatically get at least a handful of people claiming that Apple has lost its way.

Steve wasn't infallible, and just because Tim does something different doesn't make him wrong.
Steve had vision, and that counts for a lot. Tim is excellent at his specialty, which isn't being a visionary.
LastName is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:56 PM   #23
you people smh
macrumors regular

Quote:
Of course not, Apple would just find another monkey to make them.
Clearly, that's why they stopped doing business with this evil, hated company many years ago.....oh wait...
you people smh is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:56 PM   #24
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Is "Breakthrough" Too Strong a Word?

This strikes me as a good way to go about things. The parties get to set the rules that the arbitrator must follow, within prescribed limits. Confidentiality can be enhanced as well.

Let's hope that cooler heads finally are starting to prevail at the GC's office at Apple.
iGrip is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:58 PM   #25
PsudoPowerPoint
macrumors regular

Yay!
PsudoPowerPoint is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion