Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gamegal

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 12, 2012
I want to connect my Gmail account to Mac Mail since I want to use IMAP rather than POP (Hotmail), but I'm not sure which settings to use, such as auto-expunge on or off. I want email I delete on Mail to move to the Trash on Gmail, not archive. I know many people love Gmail and connect it to Mail. What settings do you use?

stevo33

macrumors newbie
Dec 1, 2012
Seattle
Connecting GMail to Apple Mail

It took me a while, but I think I figured it out. I couldn't get my Apple Mail to accept a GMail account. I tried entering Username (gmail address) and password... but it wouldn't accept it.

Then I did this:
1. I went to GMail/Settings/Forwarding and POP/IMAP and set the account to Enabled IMAP. Save it.
2. Then I went to Account/Security and turned on 2-Step Verification.
3. Finally, I read up on Application Specific Passwords in Google at http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1173270. That showed me how to generate a ONE TIME password for using when I completed the ADD ACCOUNT function in Apple Mail--- Located in the File Menu. I put in my username (email account) and then copied and pasted in the one-time GMail password and it immediately went and found my account and put it into Apple Mail.

If I have this wrong or left something out... please let me know.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.