Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:56 PM   #1
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

How to play .avi video files on iPhone 5?

Googled it, most required cydia or converting. I have some movies and shows I would like to play but converting them all to mp4 is a hassle, is there a way I can just use another player or something to watch on my phone?
tymaster50 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:07 PM   #2
scaredpoet
macrumors 603

There are some media player apps on the app store that will do this. OPlayer is one of them:

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/opla...344784375?mt=8
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:13 PM   #3
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post
There are some media player apps on the app store that will do this. OPlayer is one of them:

Ah it's paid, kinnda short on money now.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:34 PM   #4
takeshi74
macrumors 601

You probably won't find a player that can handle every possible codec that an AVI container can hold. Converting is fairly easy Handbrake. You can even set up a queue for conversion.
takeshi74 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 03:45 PM   #5
The New iPad
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
Ah it's paid
I really hate this kind of consumer.
The New iPad is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:18 PM   #6
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by The New iPad View Post
I really hate this kind of consumer.
A consumer that doesn't want to pay for an app when they are already spending $100+ on a monthly bill? Shoot me for wanting to save some gas and money in this economy.
tymaster50 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:22 PM   #7
1rottenapple
macrumors 65816

Handbrake is free! I've used it to convert videos for the pass 6 yrs.
1rottenapple is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:27 PM   #8
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

It also looks like OPlayer is some kind of streaming service? Can't really do that either, I'm on a 2gb plan now.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 04:39 PM   #9
Cod3rror
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredpoet View Post

OPlayer is awesome!

Plays avi, mkv, flv, almost anything.

Can stream from Dropbox, from your PC, etc...
Cod3rror is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 06:38 PM   #10
kiantech
macrumors regular

Quote:
It also looks like OPlayer is some kind of streaming service? Can't really do that either, I'm on a 2gb plan now.
The app isn't $20. It is $3. It's up to you if playing your pirated videos is worth the investment.

I'm not the type of person to jump on someone, but I see so many people complain about a $3, $2, even $.99 apps, yet they will go eat out multiple times a week.

You paid $200 for a phone and pay > $100 a month for the contract. If you are that short on money that $3 one time is a stretch, then having a smart phone might not be the best 2-year commitment.

I use cinexplayer. It works great at playing AVIs. It is $2 on the app store. It plays files locally, not streaming.
kiantech is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:12 PM   #11
iceterminal
macrumors 68000

Convert it on your computer for free using Handbrake.
Its free, its fast, and its easy as pie.
No need for any other app or special set ups. Convert and go.

The only worth these items have is the one you give them.
iceterminal is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:23 PM   #12
hardax
macrumors regular

Just tried the "lite" version of OPlayer and streaming over WiFi works nicely but when copied over to local iphone storage the playback is horrible. Very choppy. I would think the opposite would be true? Also be aware that this app cannot play AC3 audio (they state on the support page that they do not have a license for it) and said video will have no audio.

Kind of defeats the purpose of buying an app that is supposed to play most video on the fly without the need to convert first doesnt it?
hardax is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:44 PM   #13
scottw324
macrumors 6502

Download HDPlayer. Great app to use to play videos sync'd to the phone.

To convert files easily use AirVideo. I use it as my primary method to convert files since it is pretty much one touch convert. I only use handbrake if I can't convert a file for some reason.
scottw324 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 07:59 PM   #14
Ayemerica
macrumors 6502a

Cool app I just downloaded it cheers
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:49 PM   #15
Cod3rror
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardax View Post
Just tried the "lite" version of OPlayer and streaming over WiFi works nicely but when copied over to local iphone storage the playback is horrible. Very choppy. I would think the opposite would be true? Also be aware that this app cannot play AC2.14 (3*aud)io (they state on the support page that they do not have a license for it) and said video will have no audio.

Kind of defeats the purpose of buying an app that is supposed to play most video on the fly without the need to convert first doesnt it?
Yeah, AC3 being unplayable is unfortunate. The previous version plays it though, so I'm not updating.
Cod3rror is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:35 PM   #16
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiantech View Post
The app isn't $20. It is $3. It's up to you if playing your pirated videos is worth the investment.

I'm not the type of person to jump on someone, but I see so many people complain about a $3, $2, even $.99 apps, yet they will go eat out multiple times a week.

You paid $200 for a phone and pay > $100 a month for the contract. If you are that short on money that $3 one time is a stretch, then having a smart phone might not be the best 2-year commitment.

I use cinexplayer. It works great at playing AVIs. It is $2 on the app store. It plays files locally, not streaming.
So my movies are pirated because I didn't get them from iTunes? And is there a $3 iTunes card? No I have to go to the store and pick up a $15 or $20 dollar card
tymaster50 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 10:56 PM   #17
SPEEDwithJJ
macrumors 65816

Quote:
So my movies are pirated because I didn't get them from iTunes? And is there a $3 iTunes card? No I have to go to the store and pick up a $15 or $20 dollar card
Why not use another payment method? I thought the iTunes Store accept all major credit cards & even PayPal for payment...
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:22 PM   #18
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDwithJJ View Post
Why not use another payment method? I thought the iTunes Store accept all major credit cards & even PayPal for payment...
I don't want to use a credit card right now, I'm still reeling off that psn hack. Sometimes I wish they had this like future tech where you can put real money in the phone and it'll transmit it to Apple HQ and you can use it as iTunes Credit.
But I guess I will just have to convert it, damn Apple and their insistence on using mp4 -_-
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:26 PM   #19
superstardj
macrumors regular

Quote:
I don't want to use a credit card right now, I'm still reeling off that psn hack. Sometimes I wish they had this like future tech where you can put real money in the phone and it'll transmit it to Apple HQ and you can use it as iTunes Credit
But I guess I will just have to convert it, damn Apple and their insistence on using mp4 -_-
Do you have a bank account? Link it to PayPal and they will draft the 3 bucks and you don't have to buy a 20 iTunes card
superstardj is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:31 PM   #20
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by superstardj View Post
Do you have a bank account? Link it to PayPal and they will draft the 3 bucks and you don't have to buy a 20 iTunes card
I can't use the app anyway, it's a stream service basically and I'm only on a 2gb plan. I would hit my data limit before next friday and my cycle doesn't even until december 6th, i'll just have to convert it. Atleast until a jailbreak comes out.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:46 PM   #21
lurch0101
macrumors newbie

it's crazy that some are assuming that our videos are pirated and somehow you can judge as to why some of us don't want to pay .99, 1.99 or 2.99 etc for whatever reason. just wow...
lurch0101 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:51 PM   #22
tymaster50
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by lurch0101 View Post
it's crazy that some are assuming that our videos are pirated and somehow you can judge as to why some of us don't want to pay .99, 1.99 or 2.99 etc for whatever reason. just wow...
It's like they assume we're all money machines that can spend $ on anything even if it would be a bad investment in the end. Now I see why people really do prefer android, its more convenient and you don't have to spend 12 hours converting every video file to an iTunes playable one.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:04 AM   #23
CBR900RR
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via ICQ to CBR900RR
Try rockplayer2, it is free and better than most player that cost money, it also support ip5 full screen.

http://rockplayer.com/rp2/en/index.html
Old Nov 17, 2012, 12:18 AM   #24
Irock619
macrumors 65816

Quote:
I can't use the app anyway, it's a stream service basically and I'm only on a 2gb plan. I would hit my data limit before next friday and my cycle doesn't even until december 6th, i'll just have to convert it. Atleast until a jailbreak comes out.
Can you download the video to your phone so streaming is not necessary?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 04:35 AM   #25
Vundu
macrumors 6502a

Oplayer has no iphone5 support and AC3 has been removed.
AVplayer used to be the best but has been removed from the App Store.

There are not decent movie players in the App Store IMO.

A big shame as I would not mind paying for a decent stylish one.
Vundu is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone