Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
*plays graphic intensive game while using turn by turn*
*says phone has bad battery life*

Lol doesn't make sense. How does a person play "graphics-intensive games" while driving at the same time?

Oh wait, maybe that's why there are car accidents.. :X

bernyberns

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2010
Today is the last day of my return period for the iPhone 5 and its now boxed up and ready to return. I'll keep on using my iPhone 4 until the next one comes out.

Problems I experienced were:
- poor battery life - still didn't last a day while travelling for an hour to and from an 8 hour day at work (<60% after only 2 hours use)
- battery percentage would stick at 100% for a while and then drop like a stone. At the other end it would stick at 1% for a while - no point having a battery monitor if its nowhere near accurate
- nick in the bevelled edge after 2 days' use (though that wasn't too much of an issue as I put a case on it)
- simply not worth the £600 when my iPhone 4 works fine and I have other things to spend my money on
- won't be compatible with most of the UK 4G network when it launches next Spring

Don't get me wrong, I like the phone and the design but (for me) it just wasn't worth the upgrade.

My iPhone 4 has a minor crack in the glass and atrocious battery life so I did consider getting it replaced, but there's no point really. If it gives up/I break it, I'll get a used iPhone 4/4S as a temporary replacement until the next one is released.

I have the iPhone 4s but my phone dose the same thing regarding battery life..100% usually last 30 minutes...then it drops a % like every 6 to 10 minutes after if I'm on wifi..4g? Every 3 to 4 minutes..and I've had my phone last an extra 15 to 20 minutes on 1% left..if only every % would react the same way lol...the most usage I have gotten out of my 4s is 10 hours 10 minutes...but usually 8 and a half to 9 hours..I just text and listen to music..brief Internet use and a little app advice..plants vs zombies

bernyberns

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2010
Very strange, I had my first ever iPhone as I thought the 5 was finally the one I wanted.

The first one sucked battery like the world depending on depleating it as quickly as possible. Apple swapped it for a nice new one, clean, unmarked, white 32gb and perfect.

I leave wifi, bluetooth and location services on all day, and I still get great battery life.

Loving it...!

Yea that's pretty bad bat life..here is my 4s

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 43

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
my battery usage is great, 2 hours and 44 minutes of video on very high brightness set me back 30%, that's with bad signal on standby too

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Very strange, I had my first ever iPhone as I thought the 5 was finally the one I wanted.

The first one sucked battery like the world depending on depleating it as quickly as possible. Apple swapped it for a nice new one, clean, unmarked, white 32gb and perfect.

I leave wifi, bluetooth and location services on all day, and I still get great battery life.

Loving it...!

u call that great??? 2,5 hours and barely 50% left :eek:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
There are a few out there. Congrats on getting one :)

There's more then a few, my wife and I have perfect iPhone 5, as does my co-worker. In fact Seeing someone with a problem is the exception not the norm.

ryan.apham

macrumors member
May 6, 2011
After 3 bad iPhone 5's, I've returned it. I'm now using my 4S again. I'll wait 6 months for QC to get under control - if it ever does.. :(

Mind sharing with us the problems you have with all of them?

It seems strange, you can't have 3 faulty iPhone on the row. Unless you imagine problems by yourself, remember, nothing is perfect. In Singapore Apple stores, they specify that 2-3 dead pixels does not qualify as a problem, you won't get exchanged for that.

Edit: your problems are not really problems. I have had problem 2 since iPhone 2, and now, it's iPhone 5, it's still perfectly fine to me.

Problem 1? Depends on how you use your phone. Try playing FIFA 13 with 60% brightness on like me for 2 hours straight. See if it's even 50% left.

Problem 3? Are you sure you didn't scratch it up yourself?

In conclusion, please refrain from developing OCD. They are not some real problems like antenna gate where your call quality is bad. Get over it, it's just a phone.

Last edited:

bradkb

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2012
u call that great??? 2,5 hours and barely 50% left :eek:

Ah yeah, my previous phone was the Motorola Droid Razr Maxx, it had a 3300mAh battery, and by the same time of the day it had less battery life left with much more turned off.

So yeah I am happy, I know I can take it off charge at 6.30am, go to work, use on train on way in, home and throughout the day and at the end of the evening before bed it still has plenty of life left.

kamalds

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010

Loving it...!

That would be like 20% drop in battery on my Note 2, with all radios on

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
I just got my 3rd replacement today from the Apple store. The first one had minor dent on the edge from the factory. I tried living with it, but it was really bothering me after dropping 470 dollars for my phone. They gave me a replacement. The second one was great, until the earpiece speaker decided to stop working unless I pressed on the glass underneath the speaker. Replaced today.

The one I came home with today is physically pristine, I just hope I don't run into anymore hardware issues. This is probably the least reliable iPhone I've owned to date and I've owned every single one. Hopefully the next gen will be better.

I normally never have to get replacements for my iPhone.

chrisrosemusic1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 31, 2012
Northamptonshire, England
It's not caused by the case. It's defective anodizing coating if the black is rubbing off prematurely that easily. Get it swapped under warranty for one with normal anodization and you should no longer have that problem.

Is this actually a factual thing I can complain about then? I just assumed it was just a poor choice in finish. The actual aluminium casing is fine for the most part, it's just that beveled edge that's worn.

TBH I've been having intermittent signal issues the last week or so - phone just dispalying 'No Service' even in strong 3G areas and a reboot seems to be the only thing to sort it out. May take it in for an exchange anyway :)

----------

I just got my 3rd replacement today from the Apple store. The first one had minor dent on the edge from the factory. I tried living with it, but it was really bothering me after dropping 470 dollars for my phone. They gave me a replacement. The second one was great, until the earpiece speaker decided to stop working unless I pressed on the glass underneath the speaker. Replaced today.

The one I came home with today is physically pristine, I just hope I don't run into anymore hardware issues. This is probably the least reliable iPhone I've owned to date and I've owned every single one. Hopefully the next gen will be better.

I normally never have to get replacements for my iPhone.

Me too - but the change in manufacturing is the biggest thing on this iPhone so I think they are struggling with high yield and quality rates. Think it should all be ironed out by the 5S and we'll probably have this design for a few years to come..

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
After 3 bad iPhone 5's, I've returned it. I'm now using my 4S again. I'll wait 6 months for QC to get under control - if it ever does.. :(

Switching out my iPhone 5 for my 4S, is the best move I've made. Little did I realize just how good the 4S is till I got the iP5. After giving it lots of thought, I now see this as quite an advantage for Apple.

Not all iPhones can he great, there's bound to be one that's rather dull. Getting that out of the way now, assures the next model is sure to be an improvement.

corey407woc

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2010
Just bought a 5.1.1 4S Jailbroken again and back in love with it. Couldn't stand the new ios would always freeze on the 5 and the maps were trash. Glad to have back all my tweaks and google maps.

anyone interested in buying a practically brand new iPhone 5 16gb black factory unlocked phone? lol originally for att

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012

Don't marry, change jobs, let the insurance lapse or crossing the street wo looking 3 times next 60 days! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.