Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RDAR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
When I pick a movie from my iTunes library and stream it to Apple TV and press down on the apple remote it shows a grey bar and how much of the movie has loaded. When the bar is full does it still use up bandwidth from my Internet?

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
When I pick a movie from my iTunes library and stream it to Apple TV and press down on the apple remote it shows a grey bar and how much of the movie has loaded. When the bar is full does it still use up bandwidth from my Internet?

Nope. When the gray bar is done, IT MEANS DONE. FINITO. U can tell by looking at your the broadband modem's lights, it stops flashing, *if* you are the only user. Lights, they are there not just to look pretty.

RDAR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
Thanks I was worried because I'm streaming dark knight rises and it's almost 3 hours. The grey bar finished in like 10 min so I'm good with my bandwidth not taking anything for the entire 3 hours right :D ?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
ja once its fully loaded it doesnt take any bandwidth, u can even skip and go back or close it. its saved in the cache of the apple tv for a while.

just out of curiousity, what inet provider still has traffic limits?

Last edited:

RDAR

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 23, 2012
ja once its fully loaded it doesnt take any bandwidth, u can even skip and go back or close it. its saved in the cache of the apple tv for a while.

just out of curiousity, what inet provider still has traffic limits?

Bell simpatico in Canada ;p I only got 175GB

Ace1024

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2011
Just realise you're going full throttle until the entire movie is stored in cache. In terms of total quota used, there is no difference.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yep...

Just realise you're going full throttle until the entire movie is stored in cache. In terms of total quota used, there is no difference.

What he said. Three hours, 50 hours, whatever — a two gig movie is still only a two gig movie.

You're good.

Wait...did you say you picked a movie from your iTunes library or did you mean you're streaming it from the iTunes Store?

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
Thanks I was worried because I'm streaming dark knight rises and it's almost 3 hours. The grey bar finished in like 10 min so I'm good with my bandwidth not taking anything for the entire 3 hours right :D ?

How The Dark Knight Rises when it is not in iTunes yet??

chenks

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
UK

if the movie is in your itunes library it not using your internet bandwidth at all.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Yeah...

if the movie is in your itunes library it not using your internet bandwidth at all.

Yeah...what this guy said.

Also, stop asking for advice about movies that haven't been legally obtained. We frown heavily on that around these parts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.