Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
I got my hands on Windows Vista Ultimate and was trying to get it set up in VirtualBox, but I am running into some problems. It really lags even if I assign 128MB video memory to it and either 2 or 4 GB of RAM. Is there someone out there that can tell me what the proper settings are? Thanks for your time.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
I got my hands on Windows Vista Ultimate and was trying to get it set up in VirtualBox, but I am running into some problems. It really lags even if I assign 128MB video memory to it and either 2 or 4 GB of RAM. Is there someone out there that can tell me what the proper settings are? Thanks for your time.

What are your compter specs?

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
What are your compter specs?

2009 20" iMac 2.66GHz, C2D 8GB RAM 256 MB video memory via NVIDIA GeForce 9400M and 3TB HDD running OS X 10.7.4. I currently have Windows XP, Ubuntu 12.04, and Linux Mint 12 loaded and running normally through VB and for some reason I just can't figure out how to make Vista run properly.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012

There is something no correct in your VirtualBox settings as I am running both a Windows 7 and a Windows 8 VM each with only 1 GB of RAM...check your settings as the default settings are usual fairly good.

I would also install the VirtualBox Guest Additions as this adds enhanced capabilities that may speed things up.

Joel

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
2009 20" iMac 2.66GHz, C2D 8GB RAM 256 MB video memory via NVIDIA GeForce 9400M and 3TB HDD running OS X 10.7.4. I currently have Windows XP, Ubuntu 12.04, and Linux Mint 12 loaded and running normally through VB and for some reason I just can't figure out how to make Vista run properly.

Try using the same settings used for the XP VM.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Try using the same settings used for the XP VM.

Here's an update... Apparently, 32-bit Vista like XP doesn't seem to like 4 GB of RAM and that was one of the problems. I installed the Guest additions again, updated and updated and updated, and now it seems to be operating normally and it's nice.

JoelBC

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Here's an update... Apparently, 32-bit Vista like XP doesn't seem to like 4 GB of RAM and that was one of the problems. I installed the Guest additions again, updated and updated and updated, and now it seems to be operating normally and it's nice.

That is because 32-bit versions of Windows can only address a maximum of 3 GB of RAM (and possibly less).

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
That is because 32-bit versions of Windows can only address a maximum of 3 GB of RAM (and possibly less).

See, I thought that too, but then when I assigned 4GB to the VM, Vista was telling me that it could only see 3.5. What I will probably do is delete the VM and set up the 64-bit version and see how that goes.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
See, I thought that too, but then when I assigned 4GB to the VM, Vista was telling me that it could only see 3.5. What I will probably do is delete the VM and set up the 64-bit version and see how that goes.

Interesting…
I have Vista on a Dell tower with 4 GB of RAM. When I installed it it told me I had 3.something GB (I can't remember). After Service Pack 1 (I think) it said that I have 4 GB of RAM. Maybe this can be similar to what you have?

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Interesting…
I have Vista on a Dell tower with 4 GB of RAM. When I installed it it told me I had 3.something GB (I can't remember). After Service Pack 1 (I think) it said that I have 4 GB of RAM. Maybe this can be similar to what you have?

Well, since I did update it, maybe that fixed the problem as well. I have adjusted the settings and will let you know what happens.

Update: I changed the settings to give Vista 4GB of RAM after updating to service pack 1 and it still only recognizes 3.5GB. SO, I'm going to just set it at 3GB and be done with it.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Well, since I did update it, maybe that fixed the problem as well. I have adjusted the settings and will let you know what happens.

Update: I changed the settings to give Vista 4GB of RAM after updating to service pack 1 and it still only recognizes 3.5GB. SO, I'm going to just set it at 3GB and be done with it.

Might have been SP2 then.

Last edited:

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Might have SP2 then.

It is service pack 2, and even though I really like the GUI of Vista, I'm not too satisfied with its performance. I know, I know.... but I remember getting a laptop while I was still in the military to take on deployment that only had 1 GB of RAM that worked very well and was very happy with(and this is before the service packs were released). Is there anything like XSlimmer for Vista that's free?

And another thing, I downloaded the and installed the extension pack and the updated drivers for VirtualBox, but Windows media center looks like s***. icons are blurry, and it doesn't even work. Then once I close the program, a dialog box pops up to tell me that it's not working properly because it's only recognizing the 128MB of VRAM I assigned and only recognizing 64MB.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011

That's correct. 32 bit is single threaded and can only address 3.5gb. You'll never get it to address more. If you want more, need 64 bit.

But dude, Vista is a dog with fleas. Find a copy of Win7.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
That's correct. 32 bit is single threaded and can only address 3.5gb. You'll never get it to address more. If you want more, need 64 bit.

But dude, Vista is a dog with fleas. Find a copy of Win7.

Well I do have the 64-bit version so maybe I'll try installing that one instead.

I would prefer a copy of Windows 7, but at the time that I got Vista as a trade for a 4 year old WD external usb 2.0 hard drive, Windows 7 was too expensive. I am relying solely on trades to acquire things. And as of right now, the only things I have left to trade are either Russian or 49ers collectables.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.