Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:43 AM   #1
hfmutlu
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Refurbished iPod touch or Nexus 7?

My sister lost her iPod touch 4th gen a few months back. She now wants to buy another one. My dad insists she doesn't buy a refurbished one, meaning she pays $199 for a 16gb one.

I am trying to convince her to buy a nexus 7 for $199 instead of the iPod as it is spec-wise superior. Her only reason for wanting the iPod seems to be the portability. It's not that I don't like the iPod, I just want her to get more for her money.

She is in 7th grade. What do you think would be the best choice for her?

How can I convince her?

(Please no biased fanboy comments)
hfmutlu is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:55 AM   #2
Rocks.
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Personally, I don't feel like anyone in middle school or younger needs a tablet. Maybe it's just me, but seeing a kid that young with their own tablet or iPad just makes them look like a spoiled brat :P haha. Anyways, in all seriousness, I think an iPod would fit her needs better than a tablet, and if that's what she prefers anyway, I say go for it.
Rocks. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:01 AM   #3
AngerDanger
macrumors 65816
 
AngerDanger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: doing the Dada Polka
As the content owner of a 5th generation iPod touch, if given the choice between a 4th gen and a Nexus 7, I'd still choose the latter purely based on specs. However, she's in seventh grade, so she'd probably get more out of a portable device than a powerful device. It would be better to stick with the iPod touch in her case.
AngerDanger is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:10 AM   #4
glsillygili
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: New York
ok yea everyone in skool probably has iphones and ipod touches so yea just get ipod touch she would liek it better
glsillygili is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:09 PM   #5
TacticalDesire
macrumors 68020
 
TacticalDesire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocks. View Post
Personally, I don't feel like anyone in middle school or younger needs a tablet. Maybe it's just me, but seeing a kid that young with their own tablet or iPad just makes them look like a spoiled brat :P haha. Anyways, in all seriousness, I think an iPod would fit her needs better than a tablet, and if that's what she prefers anyway, I say go for it.
How is someone with a $199 tablet any more spoiled than someone with a $199 iPod?


To the OP. Let her get what she wants. It sounds like what she wants is the iPod. So that's probably what she should get.
TacticalDesire is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:21 PM   #6
jon3543
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfmutlu View Post
I am trying to convince her to buy a nexus 7 for $199 instead of the iPod as it is spec-wise superior. Her only reason for wanting the iPod seems to be the portability.
I bought a big-ass truck because it was spec-wise superior to the car I was considering. Now I can't fit both vehicles in my garage, and I'm buying a lot more gas.

I bought a new TV with a claimed 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio. In reality, it's got terrible black levels due to the bad clouding and flashlighting.

Not really, but those are the sorts of thing that happen when you buy based on specs and ignore real-world considerations like portability, available software, add-on hardware (docks, Airplay, etc), and so forth. Raw specs are the least important thing. Ask her what she's going to use it for and how she's going to use it. That will help you identify the relevant specs. For me, it would be size; I don't think tablets compete with the Touch at all due to their vastly larger size. Some people might care more about memory. And so forth.
jon3543 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 07:23 PM   #7
Scipod
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Their will ALWAYS be better non-apple brands out there if only looking at specs. But apples ipod touches, iPhones, and iPads beat out pretty much all other portable products in speed tEsts, ease of use and overall ratings. The fact apple makes the hardware and soft ware for their products means they can have lowere specs and still beat out competitors that have better "specs"
Scipod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:26 PM   #8
acorntoy
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2010
I'm in high school and many of the kids in my school who don't have a smartphone use a iPod touch instead because of how portable they are. Honestly she's in 7'th grade, I think she could care less about specs

Just let her get what she wants, if it doesn't physically harm you what's the problem?
acorntoy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 09:26 PM   #9
Scipod
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
What I meant by my previous comment was that because they make their own hard ware and software it makes the products faster than traditional ways of making tech. Sure they have lower specs but they are much faster and better in many ways than other products
Scipod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:53 PM   #10
yanksrock100
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Diego
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfmutlu View Post
My sister lost her iPod touch 4th gen a few months back. She now wants to buy another one. My dad insists she doesn't buy a refurbished one, meaning she pays $199 for a 16gb one.

I am trying to convince her to buy a nexus 7 for $199 instead of the iPod as it is spec-wise superior. Her only reason for wanting the iPod seems to be the portability. It's not that I don't like the iPod, I just want her to get more for her money.

She is in 7th grade. What do you think would be the best choice for her?

How can I convince her?

(Please no biased fanboy comments)
The Nexus 7 is a better device in my opinion, at a MUCH better deal, however if she wants an iPod she should get an ipod...
__________________
Current 13" Macbook Air (Mid 2012); Nexus 5
Check Out My YouTube Videos! (Mac, iPod, and Android) youtube.com/yanksrock1000
yanksrock100 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:44 PM   #11
hfmutlu
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
It seems like everyone so far is saying the iPod touch is a better choice. I guess I wanted her to get the nexus so I could benefit from it also.

I thought she would enjoy the nexus because she has been using the family tablet (android) as if it was hers for a few months now. She IS in 7th grade and an iPod probably would be better for her even though I would want her to experience android as I find iOS too restricting.

I offered to give her my iPod (4th gen) for 100 bucks so I could get the nexus myself. (After using a 10.1", i feel as if a 7" would be the optimum size) She's doesn't want to do that and she said she made a final choice of getting the refurb iPod for $129.

Thanks to all that gave an input!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon3543 View Post
I bought a big-ass truck because it was spec-wise superior to the car I was considering. Now I can't fit both vehicles in my garage, and I'm buying a lot more gas.

I bought a new TV with a claimed 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio. In reality, it's got terrible black levels due to the bad clouding and flashlighting.

Not really, but those are the sorts of thing that happen when you buy based on specs and ignore real-world considerations like portability, available software, add-on hardware (docks, Airplay, etc), and so forth. Raw specs are the least important thing. Ask her what she's going to use it for and how she's going to use it. That will help you identify the relevant specs. For me, it would be size; I don't think tablets compete with the Touch at all due to their vastly larger size. Some people might care more about memory. And so forth.
I can see your point and I sort of agree with you. My only reason to preferring the nexus over the iPod touch is because the iPod touch 4 was released more than 2 years ago. The nexus was released 5 months ago. Additionally, we have a toshiba thrive in our home and I would like the two devices to be compatible with each other.

We were talking about it to the point that she said she might even want to just go full out and get the 5th gen. I then pointed out why she doesn't spend another 30 bucks to get an iPad mini. This made her totally take back what she said as she would be counteracting herself about getting a nexus because it's too big.

----------

Sorry about my triple post, but I would also like to say that she is going to pay with this with her own money. She payed for her first iPod with her own money also. I believe she has learned a lesson.

Another thought about the nexus... It is not too importable as you can still easily take it places. This would make it harder for her to lose another iPod/ device.

Last edited by hfmutlu; Nov 18, 2012 at 11:35 PM. Reason: Messed up
hfmutlu is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
iPod Touch 5th Generation or Nexus 7 (2013 Edition)? TheHernanFR iPod touch 7 Nov 2, 2013 11:29 AM
Should I get and iPod Touch or a Nexus 4? mrcarter2 Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 9 Sep 4, 2013 06:25 PM
Should I get an iPod Touch or a Nexus 4? mrcarter2 Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices 1 Sep 3, 2013 10:49 PM
Refurbished vs New iPod touch .Asa iPod touch 5 May 31, 2013 03:09 PM
returning a nexus 7 for an ipod touch Omgitsdesmond iPod touch 21 Oct 14, 2012 07:40 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC