Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography

Old Nov 17, 2012, 08:42 PM   #276
Puckman1
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doylem View Post
I prefer it to the other, similar view you posted. The closest houses are nicely lit. When the background is in shadow (or not lit so strongly) this naturally throws the foreground forwards, and creates different planes... which give give a pic (the illusion of) depth. I also prefer a part-cloudy sky to all blue, 'cos then the light is more directional; sunlight from an unclouded sky can give an 'over-lit' look... like a bare bulb in a room. And the patches of light and shadow will enable you to 'light up' a particular feature of the landscape... if you have the patience...

Oh, and clone out the foliage on the right, or crop it...
Thanks for the feedback and explanation. It's because of comments like these that I feel I am learning something as I embark on this journey of a new hobby. I too like this shot better than the one from last week, but I would be hard pressed to tell you why exactly. So I was glad to hear a more 'technical' take on the difference between the two.
Again, thanks for taking the time to critique. Much appreciated.
Puckman1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 17, 2012, 10:28 PM   #277
Fezwick
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to Fezwick
Stairs To The Sun

Fezwick is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:28 AM   #278
pmxperience
macrumors regular

Citrus Bowl, Orlando by pmxperience, on Flickr
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:01 AM   #279
Doylem
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckman1 View Post
Thanks for the feedback and explanation. It's because of comments like these that I feel I am learning something as I embark on this journey of a new hobby. I too like this shot better than the one from last week, but I would be hard pressed to tell you why exactly. So I was glad to hear a more 'technical' take on the difference between the two.
Again, thanks for taking the time to critique. Much appreciated.
I'm not very technical, and 'going digital' was quite an ordeal for an 'old dog' like me. When I gave up film, I honestly thought I was giving up photography altogether. My preoccupation is with what's 'out there': ie what we can do, before pressing the shutter, to ensure that post-processing is minimal. I'd rather be out on the hills than staring at a computer screen.

Doylem is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 10:08 AM   #280
Cheese&Apple
macrumors 6502a

Cheese&Apple is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:08 AM   #281
Puckman1
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doylem View Post
I'm not very technical, and 'going digital' was quite an ordeal for an 'old dog' like me. When I gave up film, I honestly thought I was giving up photography altogether. My preoccupation is with what's 'out there': ie what we can do, before pressing the shutter, to ensure that post-processing is minimal. I'd rather be out on the hills than staring at a computer screen.

"Technical" does not necessarily mean digital/computer. In this context, I meant the technicality of how to take good pictures (lighting, composition, aperture, etc.)
Old Nov 18, 2012, 01:18 PM   #282
paolo-
macrumors 6502a

Was taking a walk, with a tripod...

Technical summary: Canon t2i, quantary 28mm f/2.8 (m42) prime, iso 100, 1.6 sec exposure, shot at f/11 or f/16.

Feel free to comment/critique.

Last edited by paolo-; Nov 18, 2012 at 07:21 PM.
paolo- is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:42 PM   #283
Rowbear
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fezwick View Post
Good use of forms and shadows

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you
Rowbear is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 03:48 PM   #284
andalusia
macrumors 68030

It's been a while, but I shot my dog today...

searching by tristangage, on Flickr

Camera Canon EOS 500D
Exposure 0.001 sec (1/1250)
Aperture f/3.2
Focal Length 50 mm
ISO Speed 100
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:08 PM   #285
ijohn.8.80
macrumors 65816

Taken in Chinatown.

Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:32 PM   #286
LumbermanSVO
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to LumbermanSVO Send a message via MSN to LumbermanSVO Send a message via Yahoo to LumbermanSVO

Stephanie and I are good friends of about 13 years, I grabbed this shot when we went out for some drinks this Friday.
LumbermanSVO is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 08:43 PM   #287
Razeus
macrumors 68040

201211180891 by dharrisphotog, on Flickr
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:06 PM   #288
Puckman1
macrumors member

Here's one for today

Keep the critiques coming...

EXIF: Canon 3Ti, f5.6, 1/640, ISO-100, 18-200 Sigma Lens at 72mm
Puckman1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:54 PM   #289
thaifood
macrumors 6502

Storm passed over the north of Sydney last night
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0213.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	2.79 MB
ID:	378273  
thaifood is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 11:57 PM   #290
WarrenFields
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by acearchie View Post

Thumb resize.

Alex & Flo by acearchie, on Flickr
That's a very nice photo!

Here is my submission!

Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:09 AM   #291
Phrasikleia
macrumors 68040

I was off the grid for the last few days and just had the opportunity to read the latest comments regarding my last photo. I really appreciate the kinds words and encouragement! I spent this last weekend doing a fairly intensive backpacking trip (complete with rain and snow falling while I was on the trail) and ultimately came home empty-handed as far as photos go. Alas, my attempts to time trips around the movement of storms do not always pay off. At least I was able to get in some good scouting of territory that was new to me, and I had the great pleasure of encountering a large herd of chamois out on the peaks. I hope you all had better luck with photos than I did the last few days! Now back to trying to convince my feet to function again…owww…

Just for fun, my photo for today is one that I readily acknowledge is just a snapshot. I had neither the light nor the lens for wildlife photography (nor the requisite skill and experience anyway!). There were 2-3 dozen chamois in this herd, and I just could not resist pointing a camera at them. Such beautiful creatures!

Phrasikleia is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:21 AM   #292
xpower180
macrumors member

Salcey Forest, UK
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	378307  
xpower180 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 06:53 AM   #293
oblomow
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to oblomow
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenFields View Post
That's a very nice photo!

Here is my submission!

akward pose. Looks like he forgot to take of his pants for this action shot.
oblomow is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:06 AM   #294
Cheese&Apple
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckman1 View Post
Keep the critiques coming...

Thumb resize.

EXIF: Canon 3Ti, f5.6, 1/640, ISO-100, 18-200 Sigma Lens at 72mm
Just a couple points I can offer...

Subject:
The blossoms look nice but are lost in the busy background. If possible, you could try a different angle that doesn't include the background tree. You could also try using more of that zoom you had left over to focus in on a small cluster of blooms. A shot in the 150mm (?) range may have worked better.

Lighting:
Lighting is critical. I don't know what time of day this shot was taken but mid-day is often the least desirable. Try to take advantage of the beautiful hues, contrasts and shadows produced by a sun that is lower on the horizon (early morning/late afternoon/early evening type thing).

In my area, November is typically overcast and just plain blah. There will be times when when the sunlight (or lack of) just isn't going to work and you have try another day. But don't rule-out overcast days altogether. There are times when the sun breaks against a moody or even tumultuous sky. This can produce very dramatic results. You may have to be quick to get the shot though. IMO, Doylem is a master at this. Go back and look at his images and note the lighting conditions that he uses to generate a specific mood or feel to a shot.

Be patient and keep going...check-out the wealth of information that's available to you, free of charge, on the internet.
Cheese&Apple is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:27 AM   #295
Psychopulse
macrumors regular

Untitled by chris panas, on Flickr
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:29 AM   #296
Puckman1
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrasikleia View Post
[timg=http://www.phrasikleia.com/phrasikleia/ChamyShot.jpg]Image[/timgl]
Beautiful, even as a snapshot.
I have to ask, which part of the world are you in that has this wealth of outdoor beauty (your landscapes are especially striking)?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheese&Apple View Post
Just a couple points I can offer...

Subject:
The blossoms look nice but are lost in the busy background. If possible, you could try a different angle that doesn't include the background tree. You could also try using more of that zoom you had left over to focus in on a small cluster of blooms. A shot in the 150mm (?) range may have worked better.

Lighting:
Lighting is critical. I don't know what time of day this shot was taken but mid-day is often the least desirable. Try to take advantage of the beautiful hues, contrasts and shadows produced by a sun that is lower on the horizon (early morning/late afternoon/early evening type thing).

In my area, November is typically overcast and just plain blah. There will be times when when the sunlight (or lack of) just isn't going to work and you have try another day. But don't rule-out overcast days altogether. There are times when the sun breaks against a moody or even tumultuous sky. This can produce very dramatic results. You may have to be quick to get the shot though. IMO, Doylem is a master at this. Go back and look at his images and note the lighting conditions that he uses to generate a specific mood or feel to a shot.

Be patient and keep going...check-out the wealth of information that's available to you, free of charge, on the internet.
Comments noted and appreciated. I'll definitely make note of the "busy" comment, and try this again with more zoom perhaps.

Not much I can do on the time of day / lighting side of things. It was overcast when I took that pic (it's the overcast season here anyway) and I take most of my non-weekend shots during my lunch break from work. So it's always going to be the less than ideal "mid day" lighting. Sometimes, one has to work with what one's got

Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psychopulse View Post
Untitled by chris panas, on Flickr
I love that!
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:50 PM   #297
WarrenFields
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblomow View Post
akward pose. Looks like he forgot to take of his pants for this action shot.
Yeah. Figured I would try something different as I'm still trying to learn posing models. What do you think of this one instead?

Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:08 PM   #298
Doylem
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenFields View Post
Yeah. Figured I would try something different as I'm still trying to learn posing models. What do you think of this one instead?
He's thinking about the crap he just had...
Doylem is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:09 PM   #299
VirtualRain
macrumors 603

Strassbourg...

Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:12 PM   #300
Puckman1
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualRain View Post
Strassbourg...

Oh man! You just killed me with this pic. I was supposed to be in Strasbourg last week for a wedding. And due to flight cancellations and a nightmare at the airport, I ended up not going.
And now I see the kind of photo op I missed!

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Digital Photography