Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Puckman1

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2012
I prefer it to the other, similar view you posted. The closest houses are nicely lit. When the background is in shadow (or not lit so strongly) this naturally throws the foreground forwards, and creates different planes... which give give a pic (the illusion of) depth. I also prefer a part-cloudy sky to all blue, 'cos then the light is more directional; sunlight from an unclouded sky can give an 'over-lit' look... like a bare bulb in a room. And the patches of light and shadow will enable you to 'light up' a particular feature of the landscape... if you have the patience... ;)

Oh, and clone out the foliage on the right, or crop it...

Thanks for the feedback and explanation. It's because of comments like these that I feel I am learning something as I embark on this journey of a new hobby. I too like this shot better than the one from last week, but I would be hard pressed to tell you why exactly. So I was glad to hear a more 'technical' take on the difference between the two.
Again, thanks for taking the time to critique. Much appreciated.

Fezwick

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2002
Rhode Island
Stairs To The Sun

stairstothesun.jpg

Doylem

macrumors 68040
Dec 30, 2006
Wherever I hang my hat...
Thanks for the feedback and explanation. It's because of comments like these that I feel I am learning something as I embark on this journey of a new hobby. I too like this shot better than the one from last week, but I would be hard pressed to tell you why exactly. So I was glad to hear a more 'technical' take on the difference between the two.
Again, thanks for taking the time to critique. Much appreciated.

I'm not very technical, and 'going digital' was quite an ordeal for an 'old dog' like me. When I gave up film, I honestly thought I was giving up photography altogether. My preoccupation is with what's 'out there': ie what we can do, before pressing the shutter, to ensure that post-processing is minimal. I'd rather be out on the hills than staring at a computer screen.

butchert.jpg

Puckman1

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2012
I'm not very technical, and 'going digital' was quite an ordeal for an 'old dog' like me. When I gave up film, I honestly thought I was giving up photography altogether. My preoccupation is with what's 'out there': ie what we can do, before pressing the shutter, to ensure that post-processing is minimal. I'd rather be out on the hills than staring at a computer screen.

"Technical" does not necessarily mean digital/computer. In this context, I meant the technicality of how to take good pictures (lighting, composition, aperture, etc.) :)

paolo-

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2008
8197474632_df222a2f1d_b.jpg

Was taking a walk, with a tripod...

Technical summary: Canon t2i, quantary 28mm f/2.8 (m42) prime, iso 100, 1.6 sec exposure, shot at f/11 or f/16.

Feel free to comment/critique.

Last edited:

Puckman1

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2012
Here's one for today

Keep the critiques coming...

PlacentiaTree.jpg

EXIF: Canon 3Ti, f5.6, 1/640, ISO-100, 18-200 Sigma Lens at 72mm

Phrasikleia

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2008
Over there------->
I was off the grid for the last few days and just had the opportunity to read the latest comments regarding my last photo. I really appreciate the kinds words and encouragement! I spent this last weekend doing a fairly intensive backpacking trip (complete with rain and snow falling while I was on the trail) and ultimately came home empty-handed as far as photos go. Alas, my attempts to time trips around the movement of storms do not always pay off. :( At least I was able to get in some good scouting of territory that was new to me, and I had the great pleasure of encountering a large herd of chamois out on the peaks. I hope you all had better luck with photos than I did the last few days! Now back to trying to convince my feet to function again…owww…

Just for fun, my photo for today is one that I readily acknowledge is just a snapshot. :eek: I had neither the light nor the lens for wildlife photography (nor the requisite skill and experience anyway!). There were 2-3 dozen chamois in this herd, and I just could not resist pointing a camera at them. Such beautiful creatures!

ChamyShot.jpg

Cheese&Apple

macrumors 68010
Jun 5, 2012
Toronto
Keep the critiques coming...

PlacentiaTree.jpg

EXIF: Canon 3Ti, f5.6, 1/640, ISO-100, 18-200 Sigma Lens at 72mm

Just a couple points I can offer...

Subject:
The blossoms look nice but are lost in the busy background. If possible, you could try a different angle that doesn't include the background tree. You could also try using more of that zoom you had left over to focus in on a small cluster of blooms. A shot in the 150mm (?) range may have worked better.

Lighting:
Lighting is critical. I don't know what time of day this shot was taken but mid-day is often the least desirable. Try to take advantage of the beautiful hues, contrasts and shadows produced by a sun that is lower on the horizon (early morning/late afternoon/early evening type thing).

In my area, November is typically overcast and just plain blah. There will be times when when the sunlight (or lack of) just isn't going to work and you have try another day. But don't rule-out overcast days altogether. There are times when the sun breaks against a moody or even tumultuous sky. This can produce very dramatic results. You may have to be quick to get the shot though. IMO, Doylem is a master at this. Go back and look at his images and note the lighting conditions that he uses to generate a specific mood or feel to a shot.

Be patient and keep going...check-out the wealth of information that's available to you, free of charge, on the internet. :)

Puckman1

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2012
[timg=http://www.phrasikleia.com/phrasikleia/ChamyShot.jpg]Image[/timgl]

Beautiful, even as a snapshot.
I have to ask, which part of the world are you in that has this wealth of outdoor beauty (your landscapes are especially striking)?

Just a couple points I can offer...

Subject:
The blossoms look nice but are lost in the busy background. If possible, you could try a different angle that doesn't include the background tree. You could also try using more of that zoom you had left over to focus in on a small cluster of blooms. A shot in the 150mm (?) range may have worked better.

Lighting:
Lighting is critical. I don't know what time of day this shot was taken but mid-day is often the least desirable. Try to take advantage of the beautiful hues, contrasts and shadows produced by a sun that is lower on the horizon (early morning/late afternoon/early evening type thing).

In my area, November is typically overcast and just plain blah. There will be times when when the sunlight (or lack of) just isn't going to work and you have try another day. But don't rule-out overcast days altogether. There are times when the sun breaks against a moody or even tumultuous sky. This can produce very dramatic results. You may have to be quick to get the shot though. IMO, Doylem is a master at this. Go back and look at his images and note the lighting conditions that he uses to generate a specific mood or feel to a shot.

Be patient and keep going...check-out the wealth of information that's available to you, free of charge, on the internet. :)

Comments noted and appreciated. I'll definitely make note of the "busy" comment, and try this again with more zoom perhaps.

Not much I can do on the time of day / lighting side of things. It was overcast when I took that pic (it's the overcast season here anyway) and I take most of my non-weekend shots during my lunch break from work. So it's always going to be the less than ideal "mid day" lighting. Sometimes, one has to work with what one's got :)

Thanks again.

I love that!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.