Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:24 AM   #51
croooow
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeegieMac View Post
They're not Australian when their founders are Scottish. Formed in Australia, yes ... but the main founders are Scottish.

----------

That is true, just giving my home nation the "attention" it deserves. To ignore the Scottish roots of AC/DC and solely call them Australian is a tad unfair. The brothers are highly thought of back home in Glasgow's rock circles.
Would Van Halen be considered an American Band or a Dutch Band? The Van Halen brothers are from the Netherlands but the band was formed in California.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:41 AM   #52
Sky Blue
macrumors 604

How do we re-match their music we've already uploaded?
Sky Blue is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:43 AM   #53
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem

Similar to the Beatles, I would imagine fans of their music would already have their music so re-buying in iTunes seems silly.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 08:52 AM   #54
alhedges
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
Similar to the Beatles, I would imagine fans of their music would already have their music so re-buying in iTunes seems silly.
You do realize that the Beatles sold 450,000 albums and 2 million songs in their first *week* on iTunes?
alhedges is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:15 AM   #55
John.B
macrumors 68030

AC/DC on iTunes? The world really is coming to an end next month!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessica. View Post
The 2009 remasters of the Beatles catalog were simply luscious. A must have for any fan.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 09:53 AM   #56
Navdakilla
macrumors 65816

niceee..
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:04 AM   #57
Yaboze
macrumors 6502

I always thought it was strange they let their music be used in all kinds of commercials and movies (Iron Man, etc) and snub iTunes. I'm glad they've changed their minds.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:05 AM   #58
unplugme71
macrumors 65816

When they get a check from Apple, Amazon, Walmart, Bestbuy, etc, they'll be like "why didn't we do this sooner?"

lolz

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by alhedges View Post
You do realize that the Beatles sold 450,000 albums and 2 million songs in their first *week* on iTunes?
iTunes Match wasn't around back then
unplugme71 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:18 AM   #59
Tigger11
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by blybug View Post
Several of my AC/DC songs have shown up as "Matched" from the first day of iTunes Match. Never understood that. Interested to see what happens with the rest now.
Some of mine too, but mine at least I traced to soundtracks which had the songs on them on iTunes.
Tigger11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:28 AM   #60
John.B
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaboze View Post
I always thought it was strange they let their music be used in all kinds of commercials and movies (Iron Man, etc) and snub iTunes. I'm glad they've changed their minds.
Their contract (like most artists) cut them a raw deal when it came to digital distribution so they held out (unlike most artists). I remember reading an interview with Angus Young where he said there was too much money to be made with physical CD sales and too much to lose with online sales.

I'm guessing they either got a new deal with their label and Apple (more likely) or they got control of their back catalog (less likely), but there is a new live AC/DC album that is supposed to drop this week.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 11:38 AM   #61
palmerc2
macrumors 65816

Seeing that logo on this site damn near brought a tear to my eye. I'll most likely just look through to see if I can learn anything else but won't purchase anything as I've already ripped every album onto iTunes in full Apple Lossless. Rock & Roll, Bon and Angus live on!!

One of my favorite live performances: http://youtube.com/watch?v=deV_tXedY8c
palmerc2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:01 PM   #62
ogee
macrumors 6502

Hadn't notice they were not there :shrugs:
ogee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:09 PM   #63
7enderbender
macrumors 6502

That's a sad day really. The iTunes business model is destroying the music industry and especially the musicians. Sound quality is a big issue also. We have now at least one generation who thinks that Mp3 files listened to through tiny speakers or cheap head phones resembles a musical experience. CDs are bad enough so now those will go away it looks. Where is the outrage?
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:10 PM   #64
DisMyMac
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by croooow View Post
The Van Halen brothers are from the Netherlands but the band was formed in California.
That's nothing- Sammy Hagar may be a real alien starchild. He had communion at least and was possibly abducted too.
DisMyMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:16 PM   #65
DrumApple
macrumors regular

Happy but sad. Because their reasons were completely spot-on. An album is like a journey, and if you only listen to parts of that journey, you don't fully get what the artist wanted you to hear. But at the same time, I'm sure this was the right move. Hope they at least swung a nice deal with them.
DrumApple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:21 PM   #66
velocityg4
macrumors 68040

I always find it surprising that they even sell many albums of these old bands including the Beatles. I'd have thought any fan would have bought their CD's in the 90's.

I think I have bought one album through iTunes. Everything else are CD rips from thousands of albums. Plus it is much cheaper as you can go to a used music store and get many of them for $1 to $3.

For any aspiring collector you can get wholesale lots for about $1 per album. Then rip them with Apple Lossless.

Unfortunately most of mine are not lossless. Since that was not an option with iTunes 1 when I ripped most of my music.

Even if I didn't have the CD. I'd rather just buy a used one and get a better quality recording for less money. Then rip it to iTunes why'll still having the original.
velocityg4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:31 PM   #67
elizacat
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeegieMac View Post
They're not Australian when their founders are Scottish. Formed in Australia, yes ... but the main founders are Scottish.

----------

That is true, just giving my home nation the "attention" it deserves. To ignore the Scottish roots of AC/DC and solely call them Australian is a tad unfair. The brothers are highly thought of back home in Glasgow's rock circles.
They are an Australian band both Angus and Malcolm emigrated to Australia as children whilst I am sure they are proud of their Scottish roots I guarantee you that they consider themselves Australian. It is where they formed the band and got their start in the industry and their first success.
elizacat is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:34 PM   #68
davys
macrumors member

About time...now unleash the classics:

My balls are always bouncing
To the left and to the right
It's my belief that my big balls
Should be held every night
Oh I've got big balls
davys is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:35 PM   #69
Doctor Q
Administrator

AC/DC obviously reads MacRumors and that's why they finally changed their minds. I'm sure they re-read my post from 2005 while making up their minds.

Metallica refused to join iTunes until 2006. Like AC/DC and other artists, they complained about single-song sales.

Led Zeppelin held out until 2007, although they relented with only one album at that time, adding others later.

Radiohead held out until 2008.

Bob Seger joined in 2011 despite complaints about single-song sales.

I didn't see an announcement from Def Leppard but they seem to be in iTunes now, but with just a few live or re-recorded albums.

This month artist (and Apple stockholder) Kid Rock finally relented after previously saying that Apple's tiered pricing was un-American (see video).

Garth Brooks may have held out because of an exclusive Wal-Mart deal, but he also said that iTunes was "killing music".

Tool continues to object to single-song sales and hasn't joined iTunes.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:44 PM   #70
Rogifan
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Q View Post
I didn't see an announcement from Def Leppard but they seem to be in iTunes now, but with just a few live or re-recorded albums.
None of Def Leppard's older stuff is available for download anywhere. Not sure if they're behind it or its a stupid record company thing.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:00 PM   #71
Kadman
macrumors 65816

I'm guessing this dirty deed wasn't done dirt cheap.
Kadman is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:05 PM   #72
peterh988
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Q View Post
they complained about single-song sales.
I recall reading many years ago one artist complaining that single song sales from albums would be bad, because "People will only buy the good ones", to which the interviewer curtly said, "Well stop padding your albums with bad songs then!"
peterh988 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:48 PM   #73
jicon
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
None of Def Leppard's older stuff is available for download anywhere. Not sure if they're behind it or its a stupid record company thing.
Disagreement with the record company they originally recorded the albums with. Read an interesting bit about it here http://www.npr.org/blogs/therecord/2...ng-def-leppard
jicon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:10 PM   #74
cycomiko
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by unplugme71 View Post

iTunes Match wasn't around back then
So people spent a small fortune on beatles songs, when they already had them, becuase itunes match was not available?
cycomiko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:32 PM   #75
TsMkLg068426
macrumors 6502a

iTunes 11

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion