Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

croooow

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2004
They're not Australian when their founders are Scottish. Formed in Australia, yes ... but the main founders are Scottish.

----------

That is true, just giving my home nation the "attention" it deserves. To ignore the Scottish roots of AC/DC and solely call them Australian is a tad unfair. The brothers are highly thought of back home in Glasgow's rock circles.

Would Van Halen be considered an American Band or a Dutch Band? The Van Halen brothers are from the Netherlands but the band was formed in California.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Similar to the Beatles, I would imagine fans of their music would already have their music so re-buying in iTunes seems silly.

alhedges

macrumors 6502
Oct 5, 2008
Similar to the Beatles, I would imagine fans of their music would already have their music so re-buying in iTunes seems silly.
You do realize that the Beatles sold 450,000 albums and 2 million songs in their first *week* on iTunes?

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
AC/DC on iTunes? The world really is coming to an end next month! ;)

The 2009 remasters of the Beatles catalog were simply luscious. A must have for any fan.

Yaboze

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2007
The Garden State
I always thought it was strange they let their music be used in all kinds of commercials and movies (Iron Man, etc) and snub iTunes. I'm glad they've changed their minds.

unplugme71

macrumors 68030
May 20, 2011
Earth
When they get a check from Apple, Amazon, Walmart, Bestbuy, etc, they'll be like "why didn't we do this sooner?"

lolz

----------

You do realize that the Beatles sold 450,000 albums and 2 million songs in their first *week* on iTunes?

iTunes Match wasn't around back then

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
I always thought it was strange they let their music be used in all kinds of commercials and movies (Iron Man, etc) and snub iTunes. I'm glad they've changed their minds.

Their contract (like most artists) cut them a raw deal when it came to digital distribution so they held out (unlike most artists). I remember reading an interview with Angus Young where he said there was too much money to be made with physical CD sales and too much to lose with online sales.

I'm guessing they either got a new deal with their label and Apple (more likely) or they got control of their back catalog (less likely), but there is a new live AC/DC album that is supposed to drop this week.

palmerc2

macrumors 68000
Feb 29, 2008
Los Angeles
Seeing that logo on this site damn near brought a tear to my eye. I'll most likely just look through to see if I can learn anything else but won't purchase anything as I've already ripped every album onto iTunes in full Apple Lossless. Rock & Roll, Bon and Angus live on!!

One of my favorite live performances: http://youtube.com/watch?v=deV_tXedY8c

7enderbender

macrumors 6502a
May 11, 2012
North East US
That's a sad day really. The iTunes business model is destroying the music industry and especially the musicians. Sound quality is a big issue also. We have now at least one generation who thinks that Mp3 files listened to through tiny speakers or cheap head phones resembles a musical experience. CDs are bad enough so now those will go away it looks. Where is the outrage?

DrumApple

macrumors 6502a
Jan 30, 2009
Happy but sad. Because their reasons were completely spot-on. An album is like a journey, and if you only listen to parts of that journey, you don't fully get what the artist wanted you to hear. But at the same time, I'm sure this was the right move. Hope they at least swung a nice deal with them.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I always find it surprising that they even sell many albums of these old bands including the Beatles. I'd have thought any fan would have bought their CD's in the 90's.

I think I have bought one album through iTunes. Everything else are CD rips from thousands of albums. Plus it is much cheaper as you can go to a used music store and get many of them for $1 to $3.

For any aspiring collector you can get wholesale lots for about $1 per album. Then rip them with Apple Lossless.

Unfortunately most of mine are not lossless. Since that was not an option with iTunes 1 when I ripped most of my music.

Even if I didn't have the CD. I'd rather just buy a used one and get a better quality recording for less money. Then rip it to iTunes why'll still having the original.

elizacat

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2011
They're not Australian when their founders are Scottish. Formed in Australia, yes ... but the main founders are Scottish.

----------

That is true, just giving my home nation the "attention" it deserves. To ignore the Scottish roots of AC/DC and solely call them Australian is a tad unfair. The brothers are highly thought of back home in Glasgow's rock circles.

They are an Australian band both Angus and Malcolm emigrated to Australia as children whilst I am sure they are proud of their Scottish roots I guarantee you that they consider themselves Australian. It is where they formed the band and got their start in the industry and their first success.

davys

macrumors regular
Mar 24, 2010
Lanark
About time...now unleash the classics:

My balls are always bouncing
To the left and to the right
It's my belief that my big balls
Should be held every night
Oh I've got big balls

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
AC/DC obviously reads MacRumors and that's why they finally changed their minds. I'm sure they re-read my post from 2005 while making up their minds. ;)

Metallica refused to join iTunes until 2006. Like AC/DC and other artists, they complained about single-song sales.

Led Zeppelin held out until 2007, although they relented with only one album at that time, adding others later.

Radiohead held out until 2008.

Bob Seger joined in 2011 despite complaints about single-song sales.

I didn't see an announcement from Def Leppard but they seem to be in iTunes now, but with just a few live or re-recorded albums.

This month artist (and Apple stockholder) Kid Rock finally relented after previously saying that Apple's tiered pricing was un-American (see video).

Garth Brooks may have held out because of an exclusive Wal-Mart deal, but he also said that iTunes was "killing music".

Tool continues to object to single-song sales and hasn't joined iTunes.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I didn't see an announcement from Def Leppard but they seem to be in iTunes now, but with just a few live or re-recorded albums.
None of Def Leppard's older stuff is available for download anywhere. Not sure if they're behind it or its a stupid record company thing.

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
they complained about single-song sales.

I recall reading many years ago one artist complaining that single song sales from albums would be bad, because "People will only buy the good ones", to which the interviewer curtly said, "Well stop padding your albums with bad songs then!"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.