Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:35 PM   #1
rishi27
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Received an unlocked replacement iPhone 5

Got my Replacement phone today in a slim white box. But just checked for its imei number with unlock_fusion and it seems to be already unlocked... How come??
rishi27 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:39 PM   #2
sillywabbit
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi27 View Post
Got my Replacement phone today in a slim white box. But just checked for its imei number with unlock_fusion and it seems to be already unlocked... How come??
Once you go though the set up, your phone will be locked to whatever carrier sim you have in there.

If it is a Verizon phone, then the GSM portion will remain unlocked.

On a side note: Please tell us what color phone you have and 16, 32, 64 gb, condition of replacement, and the first 4 number of your serial number and week it was made? If you have the original phone seral number to, then please provide the same.


Put your serial number into here: http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

You don't have to of course, if you don't want to. My replacement appears to be "new" or someone's returned phone.

My serial no. is DNPJD
Week: 37 September
White 32 GB
DN Chengdu China

Thanks

Last edited by sillywabbit; Nov 19, 2012 at 02:52 PM.
sillywabbit is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:06 PM   #3
PsstGreek
macrumors 68040
 
PsstGreek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Tampa Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi27 View Post
Got my Replacement phone today in a slim white box. But just checked for its imei number with unlock_fusion and it seems to be already unlocked... How come??
Most likely some one already got the iPhone unlocked and then got it replaced at the Apple Store for whatever reason.
__________________
iMac + iPhone 6 (4.7) + rMini
PsstGreek is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:08 PM   #4
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi27 View Post
Got my Replacement phone today in a slim white box. But just checked for its imei number with unlock_fusion and it seems to be already unlocked... How come??
Why are you complaining then?
If its already unlocked you dont have to pay unlock fusion another $3-4 to unlock it.
You just saved yourself lots of money
Applejuiced is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:18 PM   #5
rishi27
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Why are you complaining then?
If its already unlocked you dont have to pay unlock fusion another $3-4 to unlock it.
You just saved yourself lots of money
Did it look like I was complaining?? I was just wondering how come it be factory unlocked fresh outta box..

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbit View Post
Once you go though the set up, your phone will be locked to whatever carrier sim you have in there.

If it is a Verizon phone, then the GSM portion will remain unlocked.

On a side note: Please tell us what color phone you have and 16, 32, 64 gb, condition of replacement, and the first 4 number of your serial number and week it was made? If you have the original phone seral number to, then please provide the same.


Put your serial number into here: http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

You don't have to of course, if you don't want to. My replacement appears to be "new" or someone's returned phone.

My serial no. is DNPJD
Week: 37 September
White 32 GB
DN Chengdu China

Thanks
Replacement serial no. F2LJD
Week: 37 September
Black 16 GB
F2 ----- I don't know what factory is this??

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsstGreek View Post
Most likely some one already got the iPhone unlocked and then got it replaced at the Apple Store for whatever reason.
Do you think a refurbished phone is possible so soon yet? Mine shows it was built in 37th(september) week...
rishi27 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:40 PM   #6
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Sanfrakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi27 View Post
Do you think a refurbished phone is possible so soon yet? Mine shows it was built in 37th(september) week...
I doubt 37th week builds are refurbs. However, refurbished iPhone 4s arrived around the 2 month mark and it's been 59 days already so the newest batch of replacement iPhone 5 should be refurbs rather than brand new any day.
__________________
Home iMac 27" 2.9GHz Intel Core i5
Work iMac 24" 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme
Mobile iPad (4th gen) & iPhone 6
JayLenochiniMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:46 PM   #7
washburn
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
I doubt 37th week builds are refurbs. However, refurbished iPhone 4s arrived around the 2 month mark and it's been 59 days already so the newest batch of replacement iPhone 5 should be refurbs rather than brand new any day.
You're sounding like a refurb phone is just the same faulty phone someone returned and just repackaged in a white box..

Do you really know what goes on regarding replacements?
washburn is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:27 PM   #8
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: New Sanfrakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by washburn View Post
You're sounding like a refurb phone is just the same faulty phone someone returned and just repackaged in a white box..

Do you really know what goes on regarding replacements?
No, I'm perfectly aware that refurbs are re-manufactured iPhones with a brand new case, battery, etc. Some members are just extremely anal and want to know whether their replacement iPhones are actually refurbs or brand new straight from factory.
__________________
Home iMac 27" 2.9GHz Intel Core i5
Work iMac 24" 2.8GHz Core 2 Extreme
Mobile iPad (4th gen) & iPhone 6
JayLenochiniMac is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:10 PM   #9
phonelover01
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
This chipmunk site...I've seen it in a few threads. Can someone confirm if it's really safe to give them our serial numbers?

Last edited by phonelover01; Nov 19, 2012 at 07:18 PM.
phonelover01 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:16 PM   #10
thadoggfather
macrumors 68040
 
thadoggfather's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
seems safe enough. never heard of anyone running into trouble by checking their device out on chipmunk, myself included.
thadoggfather is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:03 AM   #11
SenseiPhone
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi27 View Post
Did it look like I was complaining?? I was just wondering how come it be factory unlocked fresh outta box..[COLOR="#808080"]

Because it's remote unlock, no need to get the phone out of the box to unlock it.

Just send IMEI for unlock, turn the iPhone on and viola! You got unlocked message on iTunes.
__________________
Factory Unlock iPhone 4S / 5 Service!
SenseiPhone is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:33 AM   #12
rishi27
Thread Starter
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Alright! I called up apple cause my replacement phone was unlocked straight outta the box( I'm happy though). But was wondering how can it be so gave them a call just to check and some Genius on the phone told me this

" IF YOU PERFORM DFU RESTORE ON ANY GSM IPHONE 5, IT AUTOMATICALLY UNOCKS ITSELF"

I was like that is not true, but he was adamant on his point. Was the genius on the phone right?
rishi27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:04 PM   #13
Daveoc64
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bristol, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi27 View Post
Was the genius on the phone right?
No.
__________________
Nexus 5 32GB Black (Three UK) | Nexus 7 (2012) | Kindle Paperwhite (2013)
iPhone 4 32GB
White MacBook (Late 2007)
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:01 PM   #14
phonelover01
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
What's the worst thing the chipmunk site could do with your serial number--open up fraudulent cases on your behalf, flag the phone as stolen, etc.? Or is it pretty benign?
phonelover01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:54 PM   #15
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem
 
Applejuiced's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: At the iPhone hacks section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi27 View Post
Alright! I called up apple cause my replacement phone was unlocked straight outta the box( I'm happy though). But was wondering how can it be so gave them a call just to check and some Genius on the phone told me this

" IF YOU PERFORM DFU RESTORE ON ANY GSM IPHONE 5, IT AUTOMATICALLY UNOCKS ITSELF"

I was like that is not true, but he was adamant on his point. Was the genius on the phone right?
Lmao
We all know that's bs.
If that was the case we all would do dfu restores to unlock them instead of paying for unlocks or chasing AT&T to unlock it.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacement iPhone Unlocked ds. iPhone 18 Dec 5, 2013 12:37 AM
Received a NE488LL/A iPhone 5 replacement - is it the "newer" iPhone 5? imacericg iPhone 1 Sep 8, 2013 08:29 PM
After getting a replacement, is my verizon iphone 4S still unlocked? kjay80 iPhone 2 Oct 15, 2012 02:22 PM
iPhone 5 replacement received [UK] iphonehype iPhone 0 Oct 1, 2012 10:38 PM
Got replacement iPhone ..will it be unlocked? trackbikes iPhone 2 Sep 16, 2012 06:27 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:38 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC