Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:35 PM   #1
rishi27
macrumors newbie

Received an unlocked replacement iPhone 5

Got my Replacement phone today in a slim white box. But just checked for its imei number with unlock_fusion and it seems to be already unlocked... How come??
rishi27 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:39 PM   #2
sillywabbit
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi27 View Post
Got my Replacement phone today in a slim white box. But just checked for its imei number with unlock_fusion and it seems to be already unlocked... How come??
Once you go though the set up, your phone will be locked to whatever carrier sim you have in there.

If it is a Verizon phone, then the GSM portion will remain unlocked.

On a side note: Please tell us what color phone you have and 16, 32, 64 gb, condition of replacement, and the first 4 number of your serial number and week it was made? If you have the original phone seral number to, then please provide the same.

Put your serial number into here: http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

You don't have to of course, if you don't want to. My replacement appears to be "new" or someone's returned phone.

My serial no. is DNPJD
Week: 37 September
White 32 GB
DN Chengdu China

Thanks

Last edited by sillywabbit; Nov 19, 2012 at 02:52 PM.
sillywabbit is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:06 PM   #3
PsstGreek
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Most likely some one already got the iPhone unlocked and then got it replaced at the Apple Store for whatever reason.
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:08 PM   #4
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Why are you complaining then?
If its already unlocked you dont have to pay unlock fusion another $3-4 to unlock it.
You just saved yourself lots of money
Applejuiced is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:18 PM   #5
rishi27
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applejuiced View Post
Why are you complaining then?
If its already unlocked you dont have to pay unlock fusion another $3-4 to unlock it.
You just saved yourself lots of money
Did it look like I was complaining?? I was just wondering how come it be factory unlocked fresh outta box..

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillywabbit View Post
Once you go though the set up, your phone will be locked to whatever carrier sim you have in there.

If it is a Verizon phone, then the GSM portion will remain unlocked.

On a side note: Please tell us what color phone you have and 16, 32, 64 gb, condition of replacement, and the first 4 number of your serial number and week it was made? If you have the original phone seral number to, then please provide the same.

Put your serial number into here: http://www.chipmunk.nl/klantenservice/applemodel.html

You don't have to of course, if you don't want to. My replacement appears to be "new" or someone's returned phone.

My serial no. is DNPJD
White 32 GB
DN Chengdu China

Thanks
Replacement serial no. F2LJD
Black 16 GB
F2 ----- I don't know what factory is this??

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsstGreek View Post
Most likely some one already got the iPhone unlocked and then got it replaced at the Apple Store for whatever reason.
Do you think a refurbished phone is possible so soon yet? Mine shows it was built in 37th(september) week...
rishi27 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:40 PM   #6
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603

Quote:
Do you think a refurbished phone is possible so soon yet? Mine shows it was built in 37th(september) week...
I doubt 37th week builds are refurbs. However, refurbished iPhone 4s arrived around the 2 month mark and it's been 59 days already so the newest batch of replacement iPhone 5 should be refurbs rather than brand new any day.
JayLenochiniMac is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:46 PM   #7
washburn
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
I doubt 37th week builds are refurbs. However, refurbished iPhone 4s arrived around the 2 month mark and it's been 59 days already so the newest batch of replacement iPhone 5 should be refurbs rather than brand new any day.
You're sounding like a refurb phone is just the same faulty phone someone returned and just repackaged in a white box..

Do you really know what goes on regarding replacements?
washburn is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 04:27 PM   #8
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by washburn View Post
You're sounding like a refurb phone is just the same faulty phone someone returned and just repackaged in a white box..

Do you really know what goes on regarding replacements?
No, I'm perfectly aware that refurbs are re-manufactured iPhones with a brand new case, battery, etc. Some members are just extremely anal and want to know whether their replacement iPhones are actually refurbs or brand new straight from factory.
JayLenochiniMac is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:10 PM   #9
phonelover01
macrumors newbie

This chipmunk site...I've seen it in a few threads. Can someone confirm if it's really safe to give them our serial numbers?

Last edited by phonelover01; Nov 19, 2012 at 07:18 PM.
phonelover01 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 05:16 PM   #10
thadoggfather
macrumors 68040

seems safe enough. never heard of anyone running into trouble by checking their device out on chipmunk, myself included.
thadoggfather is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 02:03 AM   #11
SenseiPhone
macrumors regular

Quote:
Did it look like I was complaining?? I was just wondering how come it be factory unlocked fresh outta box..[COLOR="#808080"]

Because it's remote unlock, no need to get the phone out of the box to unlock it.

Just send IMEI for unlock, turn the iPhone on and viola! You got unlocked message on iTunes.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 09:33 AM   #12
rishi27
macrumors newbie

Alright! I called up apple cause my replacement phone was unlocked straight outta the box( I'm happy though). But was wondering how can it be so gave them a call just to check and some Genius on the phone told me this

" IF YOU PERFORM DFU RESTORE ON ANY GSM IPHONE 5, IT AUTOMATICALLY UNOCKS ITSELF"

I was like that is not true, but he was adamant on his point. Was the genius on the phone right?
rishi27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 12:04 PM   #13
Daveoc64
macrumors 601

Quote:
Was the genius on the phone right?
No.
Windows 8.1 | iCloud, Dropbox, Spotify Premium
Daveoc64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:01 PM   #14
phonelover01
macrumors newbie

What's the worst thing the chipmunk site could do with your serial number--open up fraudulent cases on your behalf, flag the phone as stolen, etc.? Or is it pretty benign?
phonelover01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 07:54 PM   #15
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Quote:
Alright! I called up apple cause my replacement phone was unlocked straight outta the box( I'm happy though). But was wondering how can it be so gave them a call just to check and some Genius on the phone told me this

" IF YOU PERFORM DFU RESTORE ON ANY GSM IPHONE 5, IT AUTOMATICALLY UNOCKS ITSELF"

I was like that is not true, but he was adamant on his point. Was the genius on the phone right?
Lmao
We all know that's bs.
If that was the case we all would do dfu restores to unlock them instead of paying for unlocks or chasing AT&T to unlock it.
Applejuiced is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone