Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
So I have a Pioneer head unit with a USB and Aux input on the front. I can plug my iPhone 5 in via USB and the audio works with displays thru the head unit as usual. However, the connector I had with a USB and Aux plug which allowed playback of videos from the iphone/ipod was a 30 pin connector on the other end which obviously wont work with the 5. I checked the Apple website and the Lightning to 30 pin adapter doesnt support video. Any idea when we will get a connector that supports video for the 5?

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
I mut be the only one who watches videos and movies from my iPhone in my car. Odd...

bmwman3241

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2009
I have the old 30 pin to composite cable hooked up in my car, so I play both my audio and videos/movies off of that. Its a GMC, and required an extra module to be able to watch the videos while driving.

duneriderltr450

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Oregon
What model pioneer do you have? There is a big thread on the avic 411 forums about this. We just have to wait till pioneer or apple comes out with a cable. And hopefully not have to buy a new head unit.

Iphone 2.2

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2010
I have the old 30 pin to composite cable hooked up in my car, so I play both my audio and videos/movies off of that. Its a GMC, and required an extra module to be able to watch the videos while driving.

Your using the composite adapter with the 30 pin to lightning connector adapter on the iPhone 5 n it works?

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Your using the composite adapter with the 30 pin to lightning connector adapter on the iPhone 5 n it works?

I don't think he is, not with the iPhone 5. It clearly says on the lightning to 30 pin that it does not support video.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
Hopefully not when you are driving.

Actually, I was in my friends SUV and on a few occasions I've seen people at stop lights in their cars playing movies/videos on their LCD panel right up agains the radio. I always was curious how they get their video to play while in driving. I've asked my car dealer why I couldn't do this in my car, and he says it's against the law, and yet, I've seen people able to play video while driving. Can someone here tell me what I need to do to get this activated in my car. I have a built-in audio system from Lexus. I was told by a Best Buy installer that I need a software that Lexus must provide.

The Lexus' driven in Japan are allowed to play video, this according to my owner's manual.

michaeljohn

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 27, 2012
Actually, I was in my friends SUV and on a few occasions I've seen people at stop lights in their cars playing movies/videos on their LCD panel right up agains the radio. I always was curious how they get their video to play while in driving. I've asked my car dealer why I couldn't do this in my car, and he says it's against the law, and yet, I've seen people able to play video while driving. Can someone here tell me what I need to do to get this activated in my car. I have a built-in audio system from Lexus. I was told by a Best Buy installer that I need a software that Lexus must provide.

The Lexus' driven in Japan are allowed to play video, this according to my owner's manual.

He's partly right and it might vary state to state. But here in Cali, its legal if you have the video displayed on monitors behind the driver. Like on a pull down display from the roof or monitors in the headrest. It's also perfectly legal to play video in the front as long as you are parked. If you want to play video up front while you are driving, you need to instal a bypass switch. Best buy will likely not want to do it but you can find plenty of car stereo places who will.

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011

Hopefully those drivers were not watching the videos. If they were, they should be banned from ever driving again.

duneriderltr450

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2012
Oregon

Take it to a shop, they will probably do it. Or if you want to DIY you will need to get to the back of the head unit and find the parking brake wire and ground it out. Should be wire diagrams on the web. Another option is to get an aftermarket head unit since it is a Lexus and might be more complicated.

Breezygirl

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2011

You can do this and you need a lockpick. You can buy them online for a couple hundred dollars, some of them allow you to to enter addresses on your nav system, watch movies, watch the the rear view camera all while driving or you can also set up another camera to watch your baby in the back seat....

stonyboys

macrumors 6502
Oct 16, 2012
I just have a single question for the OP, why would you want video displayed on your front screen while driving?

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
Well, remember those "Baby Onboard" signs in the 90's ? Those babies are growing up and now we need "Distracted Driver Onboard" signs.

Kids these days! But I guess that's how evolution works.

bmwman3241

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2009

No, I have an iPod classic for the car, so I use that. I did occasionally use the old iPhones, but have not/can't use the 5 yet.

meistervu

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2008
What I really would like to know is the thinking behind watching videos while driving.

Here is where I am coming from. I am a safe driver and have had no accidents for the last 20+ years. Before that, I was involved in an accident due to a VW Bug cutting in front of me thus reducing my minimal safe following distance at an exit. I stepped on the brake as soon as I could when the traffic slowed down suddenly but could not avoid hitting the bumper of the Bug.

So, to me accidents happen even with your best effort. But if you are attentive and smart, you can minimize the risk. As a past motocycle rider, I had to be even more attentive because there is rarely ever a minor motorcycle accident.

What this means for me is paying attention to my surrounding, not just the bumper in in front of me. I don't see how one can do that while watching a video. All it takes is a second of distraction to change someone's life negatively forever. I can't imagine any video is worth that.

If you are watching video in your car while driving, I would like to hear your thought on what I wrote.

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
You can do this and you need a lockpick. You can buy them online for a couple hundred dollars, some of them allow you to to enter addresses on your nav system, watch movies, watch the the rear view camera all while driving or you can also set up another camera to watch your baby in the back seat....

It's interesting you say this, because when I was getting my car serviced directly with Lexus, the mechanic was able to program some codes on the lcd panel that I had no access to. He did something with the program buttons simultaneously that allowed this interface to pop up which only Lexus had access to. I figured it was through this that they could program and access the LCD panel to play videos on my LCD screen.

I'll research the lock pick thing. Thanks.

tw616

macrumors newbie
Nov 26, 2012
OP poses a valid technology question and somehow this turns into a discussion about watching videos while driving.... wow

I'm in somewhat of the same boat. I have a JVC stereo similar to the OP as well as an iPhone 5. My need for such a way to connect the phone to the car involves my GPS integration from my phone for navigation to be displayed on the screen. Not to mention, my son watches movies on there during long trips as well. (I know, I know, having a video playing while he car is in motion - even one I'm not watching - makes me a horrible human being. I get it)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.