Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
Just to clarify here- Country music outsells all rock, pop, R&B, and hip hop year after year.

I hate Garth Brooks as much as the next guy, but it's pretty clear that Country music is in fact "popular" amongst the masses.

Anyway, AC/DC, you're a little late to the party on this one. And "preserving the concept of the album" is a phrase that is making my head hurt. "Album" is not a medium. CD, DVD, VHS, Cassette, Vinyl record, Mp3, etc are mediums. The "concept" of a band going in to the studio and recording 10 or so songs to release all at the same time was never under attack by anyone.

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
They're not Australian when their founders are Scottish. Formed in Australia, yes ... but the main founders are Scottish.

----------

That is true, just giving my home nation the "attention" it deserves. To ignore the Scottish roots of AC/DC and solely call them Australian is a tad unfair. The brothers are highly thought of back home in Glasgow's rock circles.

Great that they hail from Scotland; you must be very proud (sincerely). But the band is Australian - they formed here, the Aussie environment and culture influenced their sound, and they're actually Australian citizens. Accept this and move on... ;)

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
I agree. AC/DC is too late to make any revenue now.

Most classic rock fans I know have already ripped from a (borrowed-from-a-friend) CD albums and then digitally copied to their Macs/PCs, thanks to the absence of "legitimate" purchasable albums (via iTunes, Amazon, etc) from the band.

In other words, everyone that ever cared ALREADY has digital tracks of AC/DC on their computers and iPods. Why would they go spend money now?

I don't. Of course, anyone legit already has them on vinyl. Like myself. I'll be downloading quite a few albums. Buying individual songs is pretty lame.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002
Just to clarify here- Country music outsells all rock, pop, R&B, and hip hop year after year.

I hate Garth Brooks as much as the next guy, but it's pretty clear that Country music is in fact "popular" amongst the masses.

Anyway, AC/DC, you're a little late to the party on this one. And "preserving the concept of the album" is a phrase that is making my head hurt. "Album" is not a medium. CD, DVD, VHS, Cassette, Vinyl record, Mp3, etc are mediums. The "concept" of a band going in to the studio and recording 10 or so songs to release all at the same time was never under attack by anyone.

No it doesn't. Quote your sources. Here's my quote...

"Rock music also racks up more album sales than country does, by an even bigger margin. According to one recent Nielsen SoundScan report, country music accounted for just 12% of album sales, while rock notched a whopping 34%." - http://www.bookofodds.com/Daily-Lif...rticles/A0354-Country-Music-vs.-Rock-and-Roll

I don't know why they're griping about albums. I guess in the old days you could buy particular singles, but if you wanted particular songs, they were album only, forcing you to buy and listen to the full album as the artist created it. But geez, make it good and they will come.

Last edited by a moderator:

zync

macrumors 68000
Sep 8, 2003
Tampa, FL
I don't need a lesson on sound quality thanks. My older CDs were scratched and beat up and I am a collector who wanted the complete set. I still have my older cds as well.

And I don't need sass from an ingrate, thanks. Perhaps you know, but most people don't. So even if it doesn't matter to you, someone else might find it interesting or important.

Why do I bother trying to be helpful? That's rhetorical by the way.

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
No it doesn't. Quote your sources. Here's my quote...

"Rock music also racks up more album sales than country does, by an even bigger margin. According to one recent Nielsen SoundScan report, country music accounted for just 12% of album sales, while rock notched a whopping 34%." - http://www.bookofodds.com/Daily-Lif...rticles/A0354-Country-Music-vs.-Rock-and-Roll

I don't know why they're griping about albums. I guess in the old days you could buy particular singles, but if you wanted particular songs, they were album only, forcing you to buy and listen to the full album as the artist created it. But geez, make it good and they will come.

I think for most, there is more money in brick and mortar album sales for artists. ACDC have been pretty selective about how they distribute their music. RockBand for instance, could not broker a deal for individual tracks for sale on their store. Instead, ACDC commandeered a standalone disc with about a dozen songs on it.

I think for the BlackIce CD in 2008(?), they sold exclusivity to only a few select retailers for at least a few weeks, and a station on Sirius/XM for a few months playing only their songs.

Whoever does the record promotion certainly assures they've gotten good deals.

These guys are also old guard. I've seen tonnes of interviews with the guys sipping on cups of tea. Brian Johnson in particular LOVES the sound of vinyl, and not all that interested in MP3 or CD. Just need to spend the money on a good needle.
http://www.arabiandrift.com/video/1...OHNSON-INTERVIEW-TOP-GEAR-BBC-Sun-26-Jul-2009

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch

'In the old days', there were lots of songs -- hits -- that were only available on 7" singles. Off the top of my head:

"Hey, Hey, What Can I Do" - Led Zeppelin
"19th Nervous Breakdown" - Rolling Stones
"Jumpin' Jack Flash" - Rolling Stones
"Honky Tonk Women" - Rolling Stones
"Paperback Writer" - Beatles
"Lady Madonna" - Beatles
"Hey Jude"/"Revolution" - Beatles
"Ballad of John and Yoko" - Beatles

gpzjock

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2009
Australian rockers?

Angus and Malcolm Young, co-founders of the band, are from Glasgow and are well known Rangers supporters.

Do get it right MacRumors. :rolleyes:

Angus and Malcolm, if you look at their Christian names it is painfully apparent they are of Scottish descent, as too was Ronald Scott or Bon Scott as he was known in Oz due to his broad Scottish accent when he arrived there. Bonny Scotland was the pun used.
If you listen to Bon Scott's accent in interview during the 70's you would be forgiven for thinking he was born next to a billabong.
Strewth, I'd make you right they are Aussie as they come mate! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zx4X4e5NA4g

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
'In the old days', there were lots of songs -- hits -- that were only available on 7" singles. Off the top of my head:

"Hey, Hey, What Can I Do" - Led Zeppelin
"19th Nervous Breakdown" - Rolling Stones
"Jumpin' Jack Flash" - Rolling Stones
"Honky Tonk Women" - Rolling Stones
"Paperback Writer" - Beatles
"Lady Madonna" - Beatles
"Hey Jude"/"Revolution" - Beatles
"Ballad of John and Yoko" - Beatles

Yes, it was considered bad etiquette (for a while) to sell the customer the single, and then include it as an album track as well.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
That's a sad day really. The iTunes business model is destroying the music industry and especially the musicians. Sound quality is a big issue also. We have now at least one generation who thinks that Mp3 files listened to through tiny speakers or cheap head phones resembles a musical experience. CDs are bad enough so now those will go away it looks. Where is the outrage?

Please, if musicians are hurting it's because of the record companies nothing else. So many of the younger generation of musicians have embraced digital distribution, furthermore the publishing industry have embraced it and are flourishing.

As for sound quality most people who claim a difference are blowing smoke out their ... ears.

http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2012/04/mp3-or-lossless-see-if-you-can-hear-the-difference-with-this-test/

The difference is in the quality of the speakers and earbuds etc., I stream my music through my hifi stereo (a used technics system still better than 90% of computer speakers out there) and use etymotic earphones on my iphone. Maybe not as good as vinyl, but then I wouldn't have the space to store my whole collection in my apartment anyway.

----------

Happy but sad. Because their reasons were completely spot-on. An album is like a journey, and if you only listen to parts of that journey, you don't fully get what the artist wanted you to hear. But at the same time, I'm sure this was the right move. Hope they at least swung a nice deal with them.

Nonsense, you (and maybe AC/DC) must not be aware that songs can be set for album-only download on itunes. As for the album journey remark, depends on the artist doesn't it? Some bands produce filler, or perhaps a set of songs with no real thematic unity, besides singles and compilations have been part of the music industry forever. Anyway why did AC/DC release soundtrack albums if they were so worried about artistic integrity??

peterh988

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2011
Really? Where'd you hear that?

I think it was on some radio show (more than likely Ken Bruce on Radio 2, UK) interviewing some big name producer of the George Martin pedigree, who mentioned it was 'not right' to sell people the same track twice for a period.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Apple's weekly "New on iTunes" email features AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, and Kid Rock, all artists who resisted the lure of iTunes for years. Perhaps this is Apple's way of gloating!

Attachments

• iTunes-featuring-holdouts.jpg
    iTunes-featuring-holdouts.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 86

redhawk87

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I dont get it. Most of AC/DC's hits are on the top 100 downloaded songs on iTunes. Same thing happened when the beatles were released. What is confusing me is why so many people are buying it. If your a fan of AC/DC and you wanted their music before, chances are you bought their albums from walmart or you just pirated. So I would think those people would already have AC/DC's songs. Its not like people are going to be like "OHHHH I need to "upgrade" it to iTunes format!". At least I hope not. Other old acts (including the beatles) rarely make it on the top 100 list. If they do it because they played a song at the grammys or something. The only thing I could attribute the massive downloading of their songs to is the advertising they are getting on the home page of iTunes. Anyone know a better reason? I could understand if downloading an iTunes version was comparable to going from VHS to DVD but its not.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
I am glad to see this finally happen. I happen to own all I want from them long before this but this is still good.

I like the look of the super uber edition that has everything they have pretty much done. Wish iTunes and Apple would do more sets like this.

I never released Tool in not in the iTunes store. I have all their stuff too but I never released it. Very interesting.

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
AC/DC tracks not being matched?

Anyone else with ripped from CD AC/DC songs not being matched but showing as uploaded? I tried deleting from library and match but still not being matched.

Not getting into the whole Scottish / Austrailian thing, but here's a link about the AC/DC that was at Kelvingrove art gallery last year.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I dont get it. Most of AC/DC's hits are on the top 100 downloaded songs on iTunes. Same thing happened when the beatles were released. What is confusing me is why so many people are buying it. If your a fan of AC/DC and you wanted their music before, chances are you bought their albums from walmart or you just pirated. So I would think those people would already have AC/DC's songs.
I'm one of the people buying 'em. I like a couple of AC/DC songs but not enough to buy an album. But now I can buy the couple I'd like to have in my collection. A few from the top of their list is enough.

gpzjock

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2009
Not getting into the whole Scottish / Austrailian thing, but here's a link about the AC/DC that was at Kelvingrove art gallery last year.

Let me make it real simple, AC/DC are an Australian band made up of Australian citizens who live in America but who's genealogical heritage is predominately Scottish, excluding Brian Johnston who is a Geordie (English version of a Scot thanks to the border moving about 50 miles North a fair time previously and I mean centuries not years!). Scotland's greatest export is Scottishness not whiskey so any ex-patriot or their kin are claimed as Scots by default. Hence the exhibition.
Australians have every right to claim AC/DC as their own but Scots will always argue that you can take the man out of Scotland but you can't take Scotland out of the man.
I'm a Scot but even that won't stop me from calling AC/DC the greatest rock'n'roll band to ever come from Australia. Angus and Malcolm may be Jock Tamson's bairns but Australia was originally built out of Scots, Irish, Welsh and English who couldn't run faster than those pesky Peelers, the world is a richer place thanks to their assistance in developing such a wonderful continent. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.