Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
It's misleading because it doesn't take into account that the Touch, for $30 less, comes with $100 of extra storage. It makes it sound like the only difference is the physical size of the device. Only listing pricepoints doesn't account for differences in hardware that might account for those price differences.

We'll put it this way, a 16GB Touch would be overpriced at $299, when compared to a $329 16GB Mini, but a 32GB Touch is not overpriced when compared to a 16GB Mini.

Two similarly misleading comparisons:

The iPhone 5 overpriced because you can get a 4S for $100 less.

The regular 15" MBP is overpriced when you can get the 13" rMPB for around $200 less.

i feel like i keep explaining things to people...

does the NEW retina 5th gen ipod touch come in 16gb? NO
sure you can say OLD school 4thgen ipod touch which sells 16gb but that would be stupid to compare it with the NEW iPad mini.

i understand that you get what you pay for.. in this case, better form factor and better quality that's the premium for the mini. storage wise, it's really not a dealbreaker if u catch my drift.

Appl3FTW

macrumors 603
Original poster
Nov 15, 2012
If the name "Apple" appears, it's overpriced in comparison to it's competitors.

if it's not Apple then it's subpar quality and build

again people... you get what you pay for. you have to pay to play :rolleyes:

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Rather than bickering about semantics, I'll answer your question directly.

I don't feel that either the Mini or Touch are overpriced when compared to each other due to the fact that despite similar prices, the Touch comes with double the storage and the Mini comes with a larger screen. What you consider more important is subjective.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
I believe that if you exist solely within the Appleverse, then the pricing is fine. If you are willing to exist outside of it (Android Nexus 4, 7, and 10), then the pricing is undeniably higher than the competition.

The hardware specs on all of these Android devices are close, equal to, or even superior to their Apple counterparts. Of course, there is no counterpart for the iPod Touch, but with its outdated specs (a generation behind for a couple of years now), as an adult, I'd prefer an iPhone / Nexus 4, so I am looking at those. Someday, I hope to see an iPod Touch with more competitive specs, but I am not holding my breath.

The trade-off is that the design of the Nexus devices tends to involve more plastic and less attention to the tiny details. You also lose out on Apple's apps, which tend to be superior. But, if you can find the apps you want on Android, then it is definitely worth a look.

The problem is that most of us get invested in an ecosystem (most likely Apple's), and it is very difficult to extricate yourself from it, so the pricing becomes a moot point. You'll buy it no matter what price point Apple sets it at, because that is your only choice. That explains why I have a bunch of Apple devices, but only a couple of Android ones :)

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
The touch is a perfect match for those use Blackberry.

At 299, i dont think its mainly for Kid whom parents dont want to buy a phone for anymore. This price, you can get 7 inch tablet and still have left to purchase apps for learning for your kids.

Apple is so weird to price them so close (touch and mini) Some people who dont care about retina and isn't going to go full 32G would probably settle for MINI.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.