Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
at home I have 2 screens set up in my workspace: my laptop and a larger external. when traveling i would LOVE to be able to bring my iPad and a latop with me and replicate the exact same workspace on a smaller scale, and not be beholden to being required to have the iPad and the MBP on the same network (or any network at all, preferably, to save $). don't want to use a wireless hotspot for that reason, too.

so is there a "wired" solution to this desire? anyone know of anything like this? seems impossible but i figured if anybody would know it's likely you people.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
No wired solution for video I. On the iPad exists that I recall tho an airport express would solve the wifi issue for you.

davideotape

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 16, 2012
aaaahhhhh so an airport express as an internal network, yes, that should do nicely. for some reason i always attribute a wifi signal to needing an internet provider attached to it, but it doesn't necessarily need that, correct?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
aaaahhhhh so an airport express as an internal network, yes, that should do nicely. for some reason i always attribute a wifi signal to needing an internet provider attached to it, but it doesn't necessarily need that, correct?

You don't even need that. You can always make an ad hoc network with your mac where you then could have the iPad connect to for display purposes

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.