Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs

Old Nov 20, 2012, 03:57 PM   #1
chibiterasu
macrumors 6502

Firefox has burnt out :(

We all knew this was coming but its still sad news that Mozilla is pulling support, (Firstly, I know most of us use tenfourfox) but now that Firefox 17 has stopped supporting 10.5, I take it that updates for browsers based on Firefox running on 10.5 are going to become rarer and rarer

Source: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/17.0/releasenotes/
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:32 PM   #2
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
IDK. There's also Aurorafox (which I use) which is a version ahead of TenFourFox (but based on T4Fx code) and there's always Seamonkey which has been getting some regular updates as well.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 04:43 PM   #3
rjcalifornia
macrumors 6502a

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibiterasu View Post
We all knew this was coming but its still sad news that Mozilla is pulling support, (Firstly, I know most of us use tenfourfox) but now that Firefox 17 has stopped supporting 10.5, I take it that updates for browsers based on Firefox running on 10.5 are going to become rarer and rarer

Source: http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/17.0/releasenotes/
haha It is a shame, but remember Chrome will crush them and they'll get what they deserve for leaving powerpc out in the cold.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 05:22 PM   #4
Nameci
macrumors 68000

Send a message via MSN to Nameci Send a message via Yahoo to Nameci Send a message via Skype™ to Nameci
Chrome does not support ppc afaik.
Nameci is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 06:50 PM   #5
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameci View Post
That is correct. It is a shame, as it runs amazingly fast on ancient XP hardware.

Fortunately, this doesn't effect Leopard WebKit. Also, I highly recommend that you try out Roccat Browser. It runs crazy fast on the older PowerPC hardware.

I would not be too surprised if Cameron Kaiser and the other browser developers try and get later (if slightly stripped down) versions of the code running on PowerPC again.
MisterKeeks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 07:50 PM   #6
Imixmuan
macrumors 6502

Herr Kaiser

has stated his goal with tenfourfox past source parity is security, security, security. He's still keeping Classilla and Mac OS 9 semi relevant, so I have hope that we'll have some form of gecko browser for the forseeable future.

I have been using a browser on LinuxPPC called luakit. It is a lightweight lua framework for webkit, and brings new definition to the word fast. It takes a mere 30 MB of RAM to launch. It is a crying shame there is no equivalent for Mac OS X, as it or something like it would be major boon for us PPC diehards. Its almost entirely keyboard driven, but once you get used to hitting t to open a new tab, d to delete an open tab, etc etc, you actually learn to prefer it.

Anyone with some serious programming chops who wants to port it? I would happily donate to that project....
Imixmuan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20, 2012, 09:45 PM   #7
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imixmuan View Post
It takes a mere 30 MB of RAM to launch.
Have you tried the browser in my post above? I do think you'll be fairly impressed. Not as quite as good as luakit, but I have it started up using 42 MB of RAM at the moment.
Old Nov 20, 2012, 11:13 PM   #8
PowerPCMacMan
Banned

Everyone...Listen..

Look, we are all alone in this and we will fight on to keep our beloved PowerPC's going as long as we can. Those with G3's, G4's and even G5's - we are all one family.. no one is to be orphaned. So long as the folks at TenFourFox are around as well as the developers who are taking care of Safari Webkit for Leopard + Aurora Fox - we have nothing to fear.

Remember, Apple deliberately did this to us. However, the PowerPC still lives on no matter how horrible it sounds when one developer ceases development.. we have to continue onward.

Yes, we all have some sort of Intel Mac or PC keeping us up to date, but PowerPC is something special and I am glad I own 3 PPC machines and the very Intel Mac Pro 6-Core I have is acting as a massive file server and print server, hosting my machines.

So what if Mozilla kills off Gecko.. there are ways around it. Cameron is not an idiot. The folks at Aurora Fox aren't either. We will always have a web browser for our beloved machines. I can say we are fairing much better than the Windows 2000 camp or even XP camp.

----------

No, but Stainless is similar to Chrome. Wasn't there a build of Chromium for PowerPC in development? Man! I wish I knew PPC Assembly to write some nice wicked apps for us. Sad, I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nameci View Post
PowerPCMacMan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 01:37 AM   #9
ChrisMan287
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyoungren View Post
There's also Aurorafox (which I use) which is a version ahead of TenFourFox (but based on T4Fx code) and there's always Seamonkey which has been getting some regular updates as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterKeeks View Post
I highly recommend that you try out Roccat Browser. It runs crazy fast on the older PowerPC hardware.
Hmm.. Never heard of those before. I run Camino at the moment. I'll have to give those a try.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:11 AM   #10
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Send a message via AIM to eyoungren Send a message via MSN to eyoungren Send a message via Yahoo to eyoungren Send a message via Skype™ to eyoungren
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMan287 View Post
Hmm.. Never heard of those before. I run Camino at the moment. I'll have to give those a try.
Aurorafox is maintained by one of the project members on TenFourFox. It's Leopard only. The differences between the two browsers are slight. However, Aurorafox's UserAgent string will report as Firefox and not TenFourFox.

Roccat, like Sunrise, Stainless, Cruz, Shira, Demeter and a few others is WebKit. Roccat though still has a developer. Roccat is also a social browser with Facebook and Twitter integration.

Fluid is also WebKit, but it's site specific. If my only criteria for a browser was speed however, I would probably go with Roccat. It's just my personal opinion, but I think Demeter is faster. However, Demeter is not being actively maintained.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:22 AM   #11
Starfighter
macrumors 6502a

I second giving Roccat a try. They also have insanely fast, polite and caring support.
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:23 AM   #12
GermanyChris
Banned

I like fluid for the forums and Facebook and Aurora for everything else.
GermanyChris is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 02:23 AM   #13
VanneDC
macrumors 6502a

I prefer lynx : )
VanneDC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2012, 03:17 AM   #14
wobegong
macrumors 6502

We're not doing too badly for browsers

Camino
Leopard Webkit
TFF
Auroa
Omniweb
iCab

I don't think we need to hit the panic button just yet with all these great people continuing to support the platform.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:04 AM   #15
ChrisMan287
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Aurorafox is maintained by one of the project members on TenFourFox. It's Leopard only.

Roccat is WebKit. Roccat still has a developer. Roccat is also a social browser with Facebook and Twitter integration.
I just tried both. I didn't like Roccat and I actually had to force quit out of Aurora because it froze up on me.

I'll stick to Camino..
Old Nov 22, 2012, 01:21 AM   #16
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Well, Aurorafox is not stable. Part of it is based on the nightly builds of Mozilla Firefox which is referred to as Aurora. Those are alpha builds.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:52 AM   #17
Jethryn Freyman
macrumors 68020

Totally irrelevant, Firefox 3.6 was the last PPC version.

Use TenFourFox. It just released a 10.4-10.5 PPC version of Firefox 17.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:59 AM   #18
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I didn't like Roccat
Why not- if it is the User Interface, I agree. Just a bit... different.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:18 AM   #19
ChrisMan287
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Well, Aurorafox is not stable. Part of it is based on the nightly builds of Mozilla Firefox which is referred to as Aurora. Those are alpha builds.
No wonder. It was quick while it worked though lol

Quote:
Why not- if it is the User Interface, I agree. Just a bit... different.
That's exactly what it was. I'm sure I'd get used to it if I used it but it was just weird. Very weird.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 10:56 AM   #20
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
That's exactly what it was. I'm sure I'd get used to it if I used it but it was just weird. Very weird.
I have been playing around with it a little today. Try enabling Visitabs (Roccat>Preferences>Extras) That way you will have thumbnail tabs, instead of the microscopic default ones.

It does have tab sync between devices, including iOS, so it might work for those who want to use that feature on PowerPC.

And, here's the funny thing. On the developers page, for the Flick feature, the dialog box shows the page Macrumors.com.

Last edited by MisterKeeks; Nov 22, 2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:19 AM   #21
eyoungren
macrumors 603

Quote:
It does have tab sync between devices, including iOS, so it might work for those who want to use that feature on PowerPC.
That's cool. Didn't realize it was on the iTunes store. Just bought it. I'm not a big fan of Roccat but the ability to sync tabs is cool. Safari on my PowerPCs is too old and I hate Safari.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 11:35 AM   #22
ChrisMan287
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I have been playing around with it a little today. Try enabling Visitabs (Roccat>Preferences>Extras) That way you will have thumbnail tabs, instead of the microscopic default ones.
I'll give that a try a little later on and report back. Thanks
Old Nov 22, 2012, 02:45 PM   #23
adcx64
macrumors 65816

Still using Safari on here.
adcx64 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:46 PM   #24
MisterKeeks
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by adcx64 View Post
Still using Safari on here.
If you are referring to your Power Mac, why? Leopard Webkit is ~20% faster, and it looks exactly the same as Safari. The only changes are under the hood. Basically, faster, but with same look and feature-set.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:45 AM   #25
orestes1984
macrumors 6502

Use Camino it's still being developed and not based on some ancient version of Firefox. If you must have Firefox install Linux.
orestes1984 is online now   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > PowerPC Macs