Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Switching from iPhone? What comment do you get most from your iFriends?

• You will be back!

Votes: 13 61.9%
  • I just unfriended you!

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Steve is rolling in his grave!

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Et tu, brute?

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • You are iDead to me.

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
Being an iPhone user since it debuted in 2007 my friends and family are shocked I am trying out a Nexus 4. So I thought I would ask what kind of comments others are getting about it. :)

Michael

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
People are puzzled I'm such a huge Apple proponent when it comes to Macs (I'm constantly recommending iMacs or MacBooks to friends/families) and to a lesser extent tablets too, but then will turn around and strongly recommend Android when it comes to smartphones.

It takes a lot of explaining. :)

And for what it's worth, amongst my circle of friends and family, I've never seen so many switch from iPhone to Android so fast (with or without my influence) than I have this past year. Many are enamored by the S3. It's really become the alternative phone to get.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
I'm in the same boat, have owned every single iPhone since it launched (except the 3GS) and bow I've bought a Nexus 4, mostly I got asked "Why"

I have not regretted the switch yet. The only thing I'm not 100& happy with is the camera quality. Other than that I'm in love with the device.

flounder21

macrumors member
Apr 23, 2008
The South
Its been great learning all the new features that were lacking on the iPhone. Only setback which has been mentioned is the camera which the iP5 was much better.

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
I just made the switch today from my iPhone 5 to the N4 on the $30 T-Mobile plan. I'm really liking it so far. There are some things I do miss on iOS but I'm just done paying outrageous cellphone bills.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
People are puzzled I'm such a huge Apple proponent when it comes to Macs (I'm constantly recommending iMacs or MacBooks to friends/families) and to a lesser extent tablets too, but then will turn around and strongly recommend Android when it comes to smartphones.

That's interesting, I find that I'm the opposite. I recommend iPhone to people but, after buying a Macbook Air earlier this year, I don't think I would recommend Macs.

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I'm still on iOS, but I experiment with other platforms. For me, I think it will always be Apple for the in home experience. My main computer, the apple TV, and an iPad at home. But in my pocket... I like to test drive other platforms.

The biggest thing I hear from my friends is "but the ecosystem, all that money you spent on apps!" And I'm not worried about that because like I said, I like to keep an iPad around either way.

The ecosystem, facetime, and iMessage are really the big three. Android has more or less caught up as far as app selection goes, and google has their own ecosystem as well. I have never used facetime (btw what ever happened to that being an open standard?) and iMessage is cool, but hardly any kind of deal breaker.

Ericcc

macrumors member
Nov 2, 2012
Montreal
That's interesting, I find that I'm the opposite. I recommend iPhone to people but, after buying a Macbook Air earlier this year, I don't think I would recommend Macs.

Really? What's wrong with the new Airs? I have core 2 duo late 2010 version that still works like brand-new.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Really? What's wrong with the new Airs? I have core 2 duo late 2010 version that still works like brand-new.

Not necessarily the Air itself... I love the portability and build quality but I find that Windows was much better than OSX is. And since most people I know already use Windows, I wouldn't recommend a switch.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Most people I know ask why I switched from an iPhone to android and then shrug the shoulders. Basically its a tool and if an android phone meets my needs better then an iPhone they're ok with it.

My entire office is filled with iPhone users and I had the lone android phone, but in the end I switched back, which is story for another thread ;)

Tinmania

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 8, 2011
Aridzona
I'm still on iOS, but I experiment with other platforms. For me, I think it will always be Apple for the in home experience. My main computer, the apple TV, and an iPad at home. But in my pocket... I like to test drive other platforms.

The biggest thing I hear from my friends is "but the ecosystem, all that money you spent on apps!" And I'm not worried about that because like I said, I like to keep an iPad around either way.

The ecosystem, facetime, and iMessage are really the big three. Android has more or less caught up as far as app selection goes, and google has their own ecosystem as well. I have never used facetime (btw what ever happened to that being an open standard?) and iMessage is cool, but hardly any kind of deal breaker.
I too have an iPad, macs, and ATVs. It seems a challenge to lose the iPhone and bring an outsider into the mix.

The issue with facetime and imessage, though, is that once you don't have that on your always-with-you phone it kind of defeats the purpose of it (well, iMessage mostly).

Today was my first full day of using my AT&T sim in my Nexus 4 (had been using a backup tmob sim). Trying to continue using iMessage was a chore--and confusing to those messaging me. I ended up with messages on my mac when I went for lunch that I didn't know about. I ended up using the hot-spot on my N4 to feed internet to my iPhone 4S when I wasn't in a wifi area. I need to cut that cord.

My girlfriend at least is already using whatsapp, so at least that hurdle is over. I just wish whatsapp was integrated with regular SMS so I didn't have to use more than one app. Oh, the full suite of "real"emoji is a big plus for whatsapp. (Why can't we have normal, non-androidized, emoji that is easy to access right from the normal keyboard?)

Michael

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
for cross platform messaging I still thin Skype is the best. Video, Audio, or text, it's up to you, and it's all in one app that works on every platform.

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Yeah, I wouldn't recommend a mac to a hardcore gamer. :)

Gaming aside there are some things in OSX that make me think that Apple put some stuff in to differentiate from Windows but things less easily functional.

Two quick examples are:
- when pressing the red "x" to close something, it doesn't actually fully close it and you have to press cmd+q or close from the menu.
- if you have multiple windows of the same program open or get a few popups (best example), then you have to go to mission control -> click on the popup which will put it on top of your other windows -> close it then back to mission control if there are others to close. The Windows alternative is that all the windows stack in the toolbar and you can close from there or you can alt+tab to the window and close it.

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Gaming aside there are some things in OSX that make me think that Apple put some stuff in to differentiate from Windows but things less easily functional.

Two quick examples are:
- when pressing the red "x" to close something, it doesn't actually fully close it and you have to press cmd+q or close from the menu.
- if you have multiple windows of the same program open or get a few popups (best example), then you have to go to mission control -> click on the popup which will put it on top of your other windows -> close it then back to mission control if there are others to close. The Windows alternative is that all the windows stack in the toolbar and you can close from there or you can alt+tab to the window and close it.

Yeah, I never really understood the difference between Apple-W and Apple-H. Sounds like both do the same thing? Maybe they do different things internally with the RAM/Processor? I don't know. I don't mind differentiating. I usually hit Apple-Q to fully quit programs.

I feel you about the second thing. Just takes some getting used to. I'm on a 27 inch Thunderbolt display (paired with my MBA) so I usually just have all my programs spaced out nicely. It's definitely more a problem when I'm just using my MBA on its own measly 13" screen.

Still, I love OSX over Windows for many reasons. And ever since I switched my parents to the iMac, they never bother me about issues anymore. :D

Jibbajabba

macrumors 65816
Aug 13, 2011
I get a warm "I told you so - it's great isn't it" .. well, they were right ... :)

----------

Yeah, I never really understood the difference between Apple-W and Apple-H. Sounds like both do the same thing? Maybe they do different things internally with the RAM/Processor? I don't know. I don't mind differentiating. I usually hit Apple-Q to fully quit programs.

I feel you about the second thing. Just takes some getting used to. I'm on a 27 inch Thunderbolt display (paired with my MBA) so I usually just have all my programs spaced out nicely. It's definitely more a problem when I'm just using my MBA on its own measly 13" screen.

Still, I love OSX over Windows for many reasons. And ever since I switched my parents to the iMac, they never bother me about issues anymore. :D

W - Closes
H - Hides

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1343

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.