Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
Just curious if any one exchanged their mini due to the color it is?

I played with a black one I preordered for my dad at launch because it was all that was available.

Also snagged the last 16 wifi at best buy yesterday that was white after originally aiming for black because it was all that was available

But it's a nice contrast to my black ipad 3 and iPhone 5. Originally had the white iPhone 5 but preferred the black monolithic look on the phone. Also had a white 4s I got as a trade for my black 4 and cash earlier this year.

And I already have the slate look on my iPhone, the white on the mini feels less claustrophic to me and less of a copycat of nexus 7 and other mid sized tablets. Plus it's cool having a totally new design in a totally different color than the rest of my current lineup. Plus that platinum shine on the chamfered edges is great! And by design seems less problematic to have white glass because its pretty much flush with the edge unlike iPhone 5 and 4/4s where it's raised from the side. The white also illuminates in the dark, unlike to the extent it's sort of camouflage in the dark on the full sized white pads

They're both excellent though. And I'm just rambling.

Last edited:

JtheLemur

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2002
I had preordered a black one, as usual for all my iDevices. When FedEx went looney and shipping was delayed/slow, I picked one up in the Apple Store, but they only had white. Went for it while waiting for the black one to arrive.

The white + light gray cover, looks really really really good. Then I returned the white one the morning the black one was due to arrive.

And while I really like the black one… man I think I like the white more, and just didn't give myself enough time to adjust to the white bezel.

This is definitely a product you should see and compare is person - you can't take experience with the colors of the full sized iPads and apply them to the Mini.

Gonna stick it out with the black as it does match my covers nicely, but when the Mini 2 comes out will definitely be taking another close look at the white one.

anvikapur

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2012
Just curious if any one exchanged their mini due to the color it is?

I played with a black one I preordered for my dad at launch because it was all that was available.

Also snagged the last 16 wifi at best buy yesterday that was white after originally aiming for black because it was all that was available

But it's a nice contrast to my black ipad 3 and iPhone 5. Originally had the white iPhone 5 but preferred the black monolithic look on the phone. Also had a white 4s I got as a trade for my black 4 and cash earlier this year.

And I already have the slate look on my iPhone, the white on the mini feels less claustrophic to me and less of a copycat of nexus 7 and other mid sized tablets. Plus it's cool having a totally new design in a totally different color than the rest of my current lineup. Plus that platinum shine on the chamfered edges is great! And by design seems less problematic to have white glass because its pretty much flush with the edge unlike iPhone 5 and 4/4s where it's raised from the side. The white also illuminates in the dark, unlike to the extent it's sort of camouflage in the dark on the full sized white pads

They're both excellent though. And I'm just rambling.

no I prefer black color in all my gadgets and gizmo.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Black is my preferred color, and I have no regrets choosing this for my mini

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
Went from black to white. Had black for a week and there was a small spot near the headphone jack where the black anodizing was gone already. I should have known from the black iPhone 5 debacle to never buy another black apple product. It is a shame because it does look pretty sharp.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Original poster
Oct 1, 2007
This is definitely a product you should see and compare is person - you can't take experience with the colors of the full sized iPads and apply them to the Mini.

I personally agree. Adamant about black on the full size pads.

GrandPhrase

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2012
Went from black to white. Had black for a week and there was a small spot near the headphone jack where the black anodizing was gone already. I should have known from the black iPhone 5 debacle to never buy another black apple product. It is a shame because it does look pretty sharp.

Hopefully the next next iPhone uses liquidmetal and will prevent this - and eventually liquidmetal will transfer over to the iPad

Mrrikki

macrumors regular
Apr 7, 2010
All my devices are normally white, went for black ipad mini this time but exchanged it after a few days.

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
I plan on exchanging my black one for a white one, but with it being Thanksgiving today and Black Friday tomorrow I don't see myself finding a white in 16GB for a while.

iHeartsteve

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2012
I got black and all my other devices are black. I also am thinking of exchanging for white but my OCD of everything matching might bug me too much. Plus the black is just so sleek.

Not sure if the novelty of the white will get tired.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.