Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:10 AM   #1
abz1981
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Moving from black to white iPhone

Hey all
I have always had the black iPhone considering getting the white iphone 5 when I upgrade next month. Anyone else moved from black to white iPhone. Did you ever feel that you wish you stayed with black or happy with the white one. I know it's down to individual choice end of the day but just seeing what everyone else did. Also from my understanding and reading of the iPhone 5 in black it is more prone to scuff gate compared to white one right? Also is the white one more easily capable of having noticble scratch marks if I did end up accidentley getting a scratch or is it the black one more noticble?
abz1981 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:17 AM   #2
Adutrumque
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sweden
Kid , pick whatever color you want..
Adutrumque is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:22 AM   #3
stonyboys
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adutrumque View Post
Kid , pick whatever color you want..
Usually this is my thoughts about this kind of thread but this "kid" isn't asking which one looks cooler, he's asking which one is more susceptible to damage.

If you want to avoid scratches get the white one, plain and simple. Even if it does get nicked on the edge, it still looks just like the factory finish so you won't notice it unless you go really, really close. I have the black one and even though I take care of it, I'm still getting nicks here and there. Doesn't bother me because I'd rather use it naked and get a few nicks than have to use it with a case.
stonyboys is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 03:36 AM   #4
Adutrumque
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonyboys View Post
Usually this is my thoughts about this kind of thread but this "kid" isn't asking which one looks cooler, he's asking which one is more susceptible to damage.

If you want to avoid scratches get the white one, plain and simple. Even if it does get nicked on the edge, it still looks just like the factory finish so you won't notice it unless you go really, really close. I have the black one and even though I take care of it, I'm still getting nicks here and there. Doesn't bother me because I'd rather use it naked and get a few nicks than have to use it with a case.
Isn't it pretty obvious that the white hides damage better ?
Adutrumque is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:50 AM   #5
abz1981
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
thanks stonyboys for your input. hm kinda leaning in the direction of the white one now
__________________
13.3" Macbook Air 2011, 1.7GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128GB flash storage; Apple Iphone 5 16GIG Black.
abz1981 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 04:54 AM   #6
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
Black - scuffs and scratches show easier
White - Dirt shows easier and can get stuck between the bezel or at the bottom just above the lightning charger.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 05:30 AM   #7
abz1981
Thread Starter
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
tymaster, didn't know: get stuck between the bezel or at the bottom just above the lightning charger.


this happened to yours? or anyone elses?
__________________
13.3" Macbook Air 2011, 1.7GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128GB flash storage; Apple Iphone 5 16GIG Black.
abz1981 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 06:53 AM   #8
MacLappy
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Singapore
Had dirt slip in at the bezel on my white iPhone 4S, wasn't able to remove it. Not sure how normal it is through.
MacLappy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 07:09 AM   #9
tymaster50
macrumors 68030
 
tymaster50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by abz1981 View Post
tymaster, didn't know: get stuck between the bezel or at the bottom just above the lightning charger.


this happened to yours? or anyone elses?
yes dirt can and will get in between there and it's very hard to clean off.
tymaster50 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:05 AM   #10
gloss
macrumors 601
 
gloss's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: around/about
Send a message via AIM to gloss
Should be able to clean it with a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol.
gloss is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:17 AM   #11
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by tymaster50 View Post
Black - scuffs and scratches show easier
White - Dirt shows easier and can get stuck between the bezel or at the bottom just above the lightning charger.
Yep.

And in my opinion, the dirt looks WORSE than scratches.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by gloss View Post
Should be able to clean it with a Q-tip and some rubbing alcohol.
No, it's really not cleanable... If you owned one you'd know
__________________
Out of Warranty Replacements:
iPad mini Retina: $249; iPad Air, 3 & 4: $299; iPad mini: $219; iPad 2: $249; iPhone 6+: $369; iPhone 6: $329; iPhone 5: $299; iPhone 4S: $199; iPhone 4: $169
XboxMySocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:41 AM   #12
Nolander07
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
The dirt around the the edges between the glass and metal can be cleaned by lightly scraping between them with a 25g needle. A small sewing needle or pin may do the trick as well but may be too big.
Nolander07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 08:50 AM   #13
Holmes093
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Had a Black iPhone 4
Had a White iPhone 4s
Have a White iPhone 5

iPhone 5 in white does get dirty but I only notice mine as I have a screen protector and you can see it gets caught in some very small crevices, if you just get a small needle and wrap the tip with a microfiber cloth, then go over these areas you'll be all good to go, you can even just use your fingernail
__________________
ACTC / ACSP
iPhone 5s 32GB / White & Gold / 3 / iOS 7
iPad Air 32GB / White / 3 / iOS 7
Mac Mini 2.5GHz / 8GB ram / 120GB SSD & 6TB Thunderbolt Drive / 10.9.1
Holmes093 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:02 AM   #14
Adutrumque
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by XboxMySocks View Post
Yep.

And in my opinion, the dirt looks WORSE than scratches.

----------



No, it's really not cleanable... If you owned one you'd know
But dirt is easy to remove .

You can't remove scratches.

The answer is simple.

Once you go white you're always right.
Adutrumque is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:11 AM   #15
XboxMySocks
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adutrumque View Post
But dirt is easy to remove .

You can't remove scratches.

The answer is simple.

Once you go white you're always right.
It's not removable... Clearly you've never even bothered to try on your phone Scratches do not bother me as they are a regular part of owning a phone - DIRT really is not!

The answer is simple: Pick the colour you like. Lmfao. White is not better than black; and vice versa. Stop being childish
__________________
Out of Warranty Replacements:
iPad mini Retina: $249; iPad Air, 3 & 4: $299; iPad mini: $219; iPad 2: $249; iPhone 6+: $369; iPhone 6: $329; iPhone 5: $299; iPhone 4S: $199; iPhone 4: $169
XboxMySocks is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:28 AM   #16
Adutrumque
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Sweden
Quote:
Originally Posted by XboxMySocks View Post
It's not removable... Clearly you've never even bothered to try on your phone Scratches do not bother me as they are a regular part of owning a phone - DIRT really is not!

The answer is simple: Pick the colour you like. Lmfao. White is not better than black; and vice versa. Stop being childish
You can't remove dirt? Are you what they call a lunatic?
Adutrumque is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 22, 2012, 09:39 AM   #17
HenryBishop
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holmes093 View Post
Had a Black iPhone 4
Had a White iPhone 4s
Have a White iPhone 5

iPhone 5 in white does get dirty but I only notice mine as I have a screen protector and you can see it gets caught in some very small crevices, if you just get a small needle and wrap the tip with a microfiber cloth, then go over these areas you'll be all good to go, you can even just use your fingernail
This.

You can even use a tooth pick. Owned a 4S in white and now a white iPhone 5, which I've had nearly a month and still has no dirt to be found on it. Maybe because of the Ultra Thin Air Spigen Case.
HenryBishop is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Have white iPhone 5, thinking of moving to the Space Grey 5s. Krissypantz2828 iPhone 52 Oct 3, 2013 08:28 PM
Is it just me or does the black iPhone 5S look better then the white? Krissypantz2828 iPhone 14 Sep 15, 2013 06:24 AM
iPad Mini: iPad Mini Black vs White (Black & Slate vs White & Silver) Iceboie iPad 62 Jun 26, 2013 10:05 PM
Why did you swap your Black for White, or White for Black? (no scuff stories) super! iPhone 1 Sep 25, 2012 06:16 PM
White or Black iPhone 4S? iDannyxD iPhone 6 Sep 23, 2012 04:58 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC