Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
The equivalent of MS re-releasing windows XP, I can just imagin the comments.

It just goes to show how little apple improved its OS since then.

No. It's the equivalent of MS re-selling XP on their online store. It just shows that there are still people on Leopard who cannot buy ML because they can't buy SL through the online store.

crankmotion

macrumors newbie
May 30, 2012
Thank you!

I'm still using it on all my Macs.

For Front Row, Spaces and its greater battery life on my MBP.

Last edited:

Manderby

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2006
My 2cents:

For me, SL ist THE working environment. I use my computer mainly for work. And SL helps me do it just the way I need. I do programming, designing, administration, scientific stuff, ... Everything is pretty perfect.

I bought a new Computer when Lion came out and I boucht one when ML came. Because I need to test my software on different systems. And buying a new computer is just the most hassle-free way to do that. They sit somewhere on my desk and are used maybe two times a month. They are testing machines. Working with them? Hell no!

There are some things though, which I would like to have in SL: Vertical window resize, the newest Safari without the upload-bug and maybe the new less-rounded buttons. But thats pretty much it. App store is ok too. Helps me find out what my competitors are doing. :) But it's already there in SL, so why bother.

We'll see what 10.9 will be. SL had so many great features for me as a programmer. Let's hope 10.9 will be more like that.

r.harris1

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2012
Denver, Colorado, USA
My 2cents:

For me, SL ist THE working environment. I use my computer mainly for work. And SL helps me do it just the way I need. I do programming, designing, administration, scientific stuff, ... Everything is pretty perfect.

I bought a new Computer when Lion came out and I boucht one when ML came. Because I need to test my software on different systems. And buying a new computer is just the most hassle-free way to do that. They sit somewhere on my desk and are used maybe two times a month. They are testing machines. Working with them? Hell no!

There are some things though, which I would like to have in SL: Vertical window resize, the newest Safari without the upload-bug and maybe the new less-rounded buttons. But thats pretty much it. App store is ok too. Helps me find out what my competitors are doing. :) But it's already there in SL, so why bother.

We'll see what 10.9 will be. SL had so many great features for me as a programmer. Let's hope 10.9 will be more like that.

Interesting. As a developer, there's nothing that I could do in SL that I can't do in ML, at least for how I work.

Ropie

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2007
England
Yes! That's how I feel as well. In fact, I tried to upgrade my 5-year-old iMac with 4GB RAM and 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo and it brought it to its knees. I had to downgrade back to Snow Leopard

Exactly the same experience for me. I'm still on SL and am not looking forward to leaving it behind when I finally need to replace my 2007 MBP :(

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
Snow Leopard felt more efficient and refined than Lion and Mountain Lion, but I do like some of the new features that were added in Lion and Mountain Lion.

Wasn't Bertrand Serlet the main guy behind Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard? Shame he left. :(

Miguel Cunha

macrumors 6502
Sep 14, 2012
Braga, Portugal
About this release...

Hi!

Can anyone tell me if this is a complete release of Snow Leopard - 10.6.8, including every security and other updates - or just a re-release of 10.6, or 10.6.3?

Thanks!

Eithanius

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2005
Snow Leopard felt more efficient and refined than Lion and Mountain Lion, but I do like some of the new features that were added in Lion and Mountain Lion.

Wasn't Bertrand Serlet the main guy behind Tiger, Leopard and Snow Leopard? Shame he left. :(

There was also speculations that he was either forced to leave Apple... or voluntarily left after seeing the skewed future of Mac OS X - what is now Lion and Mountain Lion...

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
10.6.8 is still Apple's best OS. Lion and Mountain Lion are just bloatware that went through the iPadification process. I'm not 'upgrading' to any new release of OS X until they improve on performance and stability and bring back Expose to what it used to be. Also, get rid of versions.

For someone who doesn't seem to use Lion or Mountain Lion, you sure have drawn a solid conclusion, eh?

I am running Mountain Lion on my 2007 Mac Book Pro and it runs great. No performance problems, things actually improved for the most part. Stability is rock solid.

As for Expose, Lion's version was the first that I actually understand. It works as I always expected it to work. I found the previous version awkward and confusing to use, and therefore rarely used it.

----------

I saw Bertrand sitting in the audience of the latest keynote, so he's still involved in Apple in some fashion.

cfQN

TheRainKing

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2012
I saw Bertrand sitting in the audience of the latest keynote, so he's still involved in Apple in some fashion.

I saw that as well. Doesn't mean that he still works for them in some capacity, he could have just been there as a guest. Seems like he's on good terms though.

dcdude

macrumors member
Jun 30, 2008
I am currently on a 2009 MBP running 10.5.8 and have been getting tons of messages from different software and browsers that I am no longer receiving updates for because they don't support my OS any more, so I am happy that they finally brought this back to the online store.

However, my problem is that my superdrive stopped working for absolutely no reason, so I won't be able to install this via the DVD. Is there any other way to boot this? Perhaps through an external hard drive or thumb drive?

SanJacinto

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2011
Milky Way Galaxy
I am currently on a 2009 MBP running 10.5.8 and have been getting tons of messages from different software and browsers that I am no longer receiving updates for because they don't support my OS any more, so I am happy that they finally brought this back to the online store.

However, my problem is that my superdrive stopped working for absolutely no reason, so I won't be able to install this via the DVD. Is there any other way to boot this? Perhaps through an external hard drive or thumb drive?

"Opera for Mac" still supports OS X 10.5. It's not so polished like Safari, but with some add ons like reading list and so on, it has the same functionality.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
It's most likely 10.6.6 or above as that's when the Mac App Store came to fruition.

I wouldn't count on it.
10.6.3 was the Retail DVD shipped with the latest Mac Box Set.

I think Apple has plenty "10.6.3" DVD's left and as this OS is available ONLY so that you legitimately buy OS X Lion and OS X Mountain Lion.
Apple probably won't be doing any work to release a higher version of it.

You update to 10.6.6 or higher yourself, and you buy 10.8.

It's NOT there so that users can use an old OS as some on these forums seem to want...:rolleyes:

Last edited:

vea1083

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2011
Glad Snow Leopard is back!

I am very happy that Apple returned OS X 10.6 to the shelves, simply the best OS X ever. To me it was a very reliable and stable operating system and very Mac oriented compared to the two next releases (Lion and Mountain Lion).

To be fair I hated OS X Lion on my MacBook Pro because of its annoying bugs with the nvidia 330m processor. Thankfully, in Mountain Lion Apple fixed the Nvidia issues and actually reverted some settings that were default in OS X Lion and this to some extent has made me believe that OS X Mountain Lion is the second or third best release of OS X and to me it is (OS X 10.8) the spiritual "Snow Leopard" of OS X Lion.

----------

Yes, Bertrand was the head of all Mac OS X versions until 10.6, he also was the head of NeXTStep on NeXT. I think too is a shame he left, if I were Tim Cook I would bring him back on board of the OS X development team. I wonder what he would say about the new annual release cycle for OS X, I strongly prefer a 2-3 year development cycle for an OS in order to iron out any issues with it.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I wouldn't count on it.
10.6.3 was the Retail DVD shipped with the latest Mac Box Set.

I think Apple has plenty "10.6.3" DVD's left and as this OS is available ONLY so that you legitimately buy OS X Lion and OS X Mountain Lion.
Apple probably won't be doing any work to release a higher version of it.

You update to 10.6.6 or higher yourself, and you buy 10.8.

It's NOT there so that users can use an old OS as some on these forums seem to want...:rolleyes:

You could be right. Luckily the updates are pretty easy.

I'm just letting these "Snow Leopard rules" people have their moment. I was here when SL came out and got trashed for having no features. Ahhhhh Nostalgia is grand isn't it?

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
I'm just letting these "Snow Leopard rules" people have their moment. I was here when SL came out and got trashed for having no features. Ahhhhh Nostalgia is grand isn't it?

LOL, indeed I remember that too.
10.5.8 was everything!

BTW, the same happened to 10.4.11....
For many Tiger was the best OS ever. ;)

blanka

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2012
The best of Snow Leopard is that it runs Freehand. Illustrator stays a mess as long as it has 6 different pointer-tools, and because of its internal data-structure, it does not allow the great almighty triangle connector points. The vector point that rules them all. If you want to make perfect fonts and logo's you can't do without the triangle.

Stonefly

Contributor
Dec 26, 2009
Nova Scotia
Hi!

Can anyone tell me if this is a complete release of Snow Leopard - 10.6.8, including every security and other updates - or just a re-release of 10.6, or 10.6.3?

Thanks!

According to the tonymac site it's 10.6.3. Read HERE

Just a quick FYI,

These are Version 10.6.8
(EDIT: Correction.. After Physically verifying the disks I received, it is indeed 10.6.3. The "Genius" on the phone misinformed me.. see follow-up post)
It was still available from Apple if you called Apple and placed a phone order.
I Ordered 2 back on Sept 29th for the $19.99 price with free shipping plus tax.

The woman that took my order said it was still a hot seller and wishes they didn't take it off the webpage or out of the stores.
She had stated that many people with older macs cant find their install media that came with their systems.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
You could be right. Luckily the updates are pretty easy.

Yeah, and I remember many people, myself included praising Snow Leopard when it came out not for its features but for its optimization. Ahhhh Nostalgia is grand isn't it?

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Yeah, and I remember many people, myself included praising Snow Leopard when it came out not for its features but for its optimization. Ahhhh Nostalgia is grand isn't it?

I wasn't complaining either. Optimizations are good, in fact Mountain Lion is an optimized Lion IMO.

For laughs and historical context.

Anyone else think Snow Leopard Sucks?

Once Snow Leopard hits there are going to be tons of complaining threads...

Could Snow Leopard Be Apples Vista?

Grin

Always gonna be naysayers.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.