Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
I've given up looking for a decent case for the iPad mini. Does anyone know of any back only skins for the mini? BEst skins ever has one but it also covers the sides. I am looing for something that is just the back

Thanks!

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
That's not a skin, nice try

Since tone is lost in text, i'm going to assume that you weren't being a smart ass to someone that was trying to help you. As for it not being a "skin", I guess it's only not a "skin" under your definition, because Dodo Case considers it a skin...

textured second skin that will give it a luxurious leather grain and feel

IMO, anything that is not a case and is applied using some sort of adhesive would be considered a skin. This includes BSE, Zagg, Wrapsol, iCarbons, **********, and even Dodo Case BookBack.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
Correct, that is what I am talking about. A clear skin that only covers the back. Not a case that only covers the back

jedolley

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2009
Correct, that is what I am talking about. A clear skin that only covers the back. Not a case that only covers the back

The Dodo Bookback IS a "skin", but is a leather skin, not clear. You did not specify "clear" in your original post, so Glen E's recommendation was a good one based on the info he had to go on.

maniacphoner

macrumors regular
Aug 3, 2010

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
All the clear skins wrap around the sides as well, not really interested in that. I just want something to use with a Smart Cover

HazyCloud

macrumors 68030
Jun 30, 2010
All the clear skins wrap around the sides as well, not really interested in that. I just want something to use with a Smart Cover

I'm pretty sure a Smart Cover will still work over a skin since the SC uses magnets. Can anyone confirm?

bajaracing

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2009
I decided to make my own simple template, and print one. Came out pretty cool. My case is a tight fit tho. I laminated my skin with a Matte lam and it kinda thick, but protects well.

mini3.jpg

mini0.jpg

I've been using the same skin on my iP4s for a year now. Holding up great so far.
iP4s-2.jpg

Last edited:

ron7624

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2011
Houston, Texas area
Back only not the sides.

I see this is a pretty old thread, but I want the same thing as Roy. A clear back only that doesn't wrap up on the sides.
I found this on eBay. Although it is not clear, it is the only skin I've found that covers the back only. 6 bucks from China and I'm going to use it as a template to cut down a skinnomi tech shield. ( my search was: glossy sticker ipad mini - other colors and textures are there too)
I love the tech shield, but using it with a cd slot mount device in my car is causing the edges to start to peel. It's looking terrible now so I'm going to replace it with my cutdown.

Which also raises the question in my mind--is the sticker boy clear skin any heavier than the skinnomi? It costs 10 dollars more so is it worth the higher cost?

And back from rambling, has anyone found a clear back that doesn't cover the sides?
Regards all

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 160
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.