Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:28 PM   #1
Bob Coxner
macrumors 6502a

AT&T selling refurb 5's

$99 for 16gb, $199 for 32gb and so on. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2412426,00.asp

I have some questions:

1) Does anyone know if these are refurbed by AT&T or by Apple?

2) I don't think you can buy Applecare+ when you buy from AT&T (they sell their own insurance plan). I'm wondering if these refurbs are eligible for Applecare+? Assuming they are, the nearest Apple Store is 100 miles away from me, making the usual Genius exam of a phone very inconvenient. Anyone know an alternative method of getting Applecare+ when buying direct from AT&T?

3) Setting aside the refurbs questions, if I buy a new phone direct from AT&T (to get a FAN discount) is there a way to get Applecare+ without a visit to an Apple Store?

4) Does anyone have experience with previous AT&T iPhone refurbs?
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:32 PM   #2
megapopular
macrumors 6502a

I talked my friend into buying 2 refurbished iphone 4's from AT&T for himself and his girlfriend, they worked perfectly well up until July this year when he upgraded to iPhone 4s's then he gave them to his kids. I just ordered a refurbished iPhone 5 64 gb for my sister yesterday, so I'll know by Monday, I guess to see what kind of condition it's in... And a bit more time to see how it works as far as the software.

Last edited by megapopular; Nov 23, 2012 at 03:38 PM.
megapopular is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 03:55 PM   #3
charlesdayton
macrumors 6502a

ATT refurbished phones are actually phones that the owners returned in the 30 day window. There was a discussion here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1013400
charlesdayton is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:04 PM   #4
Bob Coxner
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesdayton View Post
ATT refurbished phones are actually phones that the owners returned in the 30 day window. There was a discussion here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1013400
Lots of conflicting stories in that thread. $100 off is tempting but I prefer to avoid hassles whenever possible.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:04 PM   #5
noisycats
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post
$99 for 16gb, $199 for 32gb and so on. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2412426,00.asp

I have some questions:

1) Does anyone know if these are refurbed by AT&T or by Apple?

2) I don't think you can buy Applecare+ when you buy from AT&T (they sell their own insurance plan). I'm wondering if these refurbs are eligible for Applecare+? Assuming they are, the nearest Apple Store is 100 miles away from me, making the usual Genius exam of a phone very inconvenient. Anyone know an alternative method of getting Applecare+ when buying direct from AT&T?

3) Setting aside the refurbs questions, if I buy a new phone direct from AT&T (to get a FAN discount) is there a way to get Applecare+ without a visit to an Apple Store?

4) Does anyone have experience with previous AT&T iPhone refurbs?
I just purchased the refurb 5 for $99 and AppleCare+ is part of the checkout process.
noisycats is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:07 PM   #6
AutoUnion39
In Time-Out

Quote:
Lots of conflicting stories in that thread. $100 off is tempting but I prefer to avoid hassles whenever possible.
I don't think it being returned is a problem. If there is anything wrong, go to the Genius Bar and switch it out for another refurb (but this time, an actual Apple refurb)
AutoUnion39 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:27 PM   #7
Bob Coxner
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisycats View Post
I just purchased the refurb 5 for $99 and AppleCare+ is part of the checkout process.
I went all the way through to checkout and never saw a mention of it. I see the "AT&T Mobile Protection Pack" and "AT&T Mobile Protection" insurance but nothing else.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion39 View Post
I don't think it being returned is a problem. If there is anything wrong, go to the Genius Bar and switch it out for another refurb (but this time, an actual Apple refurb)
As I said, the nearest Genius bar is 100 miles away.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:33 PM   #8
noisycats
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I went all the way through to checkout and never saw a mention of it. I see the "AT&T Mobile Protection Pack" and "AT&T Mobile Protection" insurance but nothing else.

----------

As I said, the nearest Genius bar is 100 miles away.
I was upgrading and a loyal AT&T customer. O/w I can't explain the difference in our experiences. AppleCare+ was stage two in the purchasing process. I'll see if I can post a pic.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:40 PM   #9
Justinf79
macrumors 6502

I just ordered a 16GB black iPhone 5 refurb today. Didn't see an option for Applecare, though I think there was an option for ATT's insurance.

Hopefully there's no scratches and stuff all over it.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:53 PM   #10
noisycats
macrumors 6502a

Maybe because I was upgrading?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	181.3 KB
ID:	379299  
Old Nov 23, 2012, 04:57 PM   #11
TypeMRT
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesdayton View Post
Soon my 10-day old iPhone 5 will be returned and part of the refurb stock. I'll save the $100 buying a refurb and visit an Apple Store if there's an issue later. The Genius Bar should be pretty accommodating since the iPhone 5 is still "new".
TypeMRT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:27 PM   #12
Nolander07
macrumors 6502

I bought a phone from Radio Shack and got AppleCare + on the spot. The salesman said if I didn't get it that day I could always call and add it later, without a genius appt. not sure if it was true or not though, since I got if while I was at the store.
Nolander07 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:12 PM   #13
Bob Coxner
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisycats View Post
Maybe because I was upgrading?

That could be the difference. I would be a new customer.
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:15 PM   #14
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 601

Yes, I've read several reports that AT&T refurbs aren't actually re-manufactured iPhones. Don't know how true that is but it's something to keep in mind.
JayLenochiniMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 09:09 PM   #15
romeo0119
macrumors 6502

Jumped on it, hopefully I will get it soon. I plan to get insurance for it anyway so it doesnt bother me that it's refurb, also I can go to the genius bar anytime
romeo0119 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 06:20 AM   #16
charlesdayton
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLenochiniMac View Post
Yes, I've read several reports that AT&T refurbs aren't actually re-manufactured iPhones. Don't know how true that is but it's something to keep in mind.
ATT used to keep a a FAQ section that explained refurbs where returned phones. I could not find it again on their site.
charlesdayton is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone