Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Nov 23, 2012, 05:54 PM   #1
PDFierro
macrumors 68030

Tough choice next year if Retina iPad gets more Mini-like?

I've been thinking, the consensus is that the big iPad will get a redesign next year. Maybe even something like the mini.

What if it becomes thinner and lighter? Then that could be a really tough choice for everyone. Obviously not as light and thin as the mini, but people buying the mini now might sway back towards the large iPad again.

At that point, the only difference would be screen size and some hardware changes.
PDFierro is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:05 PM   #2
Anti-Lucifer
macrumors 6502a

That's not gonna make a difference here is why:

1) The 9.7" ipad is too big for small spaces. Try to use it in your car (while in the driver's seat). Try to pull it out in a really crowded space, like a subway. Try to use it discretely at mcdonalds, or say at starbucks without drawing attention to yourself.

2) If they made the 9.7" lighter, it would be awesome to hold finally. But then you still have a 9.7" tablet size. Too big!

3) If the mini had retina, my god, that would be an instant hit. I'm sure people who use the ipad 9.7" primarily use it at home, well a majority does. The mini retina would be everything a 9.7" ipad is but it's gonna replace your iphone for alot of things (sans the phone calls).
Anti-Lucifer is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:12 PM   #3
romanhdz
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anti-Lucifer View Post

1) The 9.7" ipad is too big for small spaces. Try to use it in your car (while in the driver's seat). Try to pull it out in a really crowded space, like a subway. Try to use it discretely at mcdonalds, or say at starbucks without drawing attention to yourself.

2) If they made the 9.7" lighter, it would be awesome to hold finally. But then you still have a 9.7" tablet size. Too big!

3) If the mini had retina, my god, that would be an instant hit. I'm sure people who use the ipad 9.7" primarily use it at home, well a majority does. The mini retina would be everything a 9.7" ipad is but it's gonna replace your iphone for alot of things (sans the phone calls).

I'm sorry, but I don't understand why everyone feels that by using an iPad in public, everyone around you will stop what they're doing to stare and talk about how much of an arrogant ass you are for whipping your tablet out. I use my iPad in public all the time (sometimes I even walk while using it) and I'll be damned if I ever caught something glaring at me.

Just a thought.
romanhdz is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:19 PM   #4
Medic311
macrumors 65816

waiting for the Minis to pop up on the refurbished store. i'm sure many of them were returned due to people not liking the screen or scuff marks on the edges

i have a feeling they won't be $50 off though. they will prob be $299 for the base 16GB wifi model
Medic311 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:36 PM   #5
irDigital0l

Quote:

Its not big at all. I always see people use the regular sized iPad. Its perfect for actually doing stuff.
irDigital0l is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 06:53 PM   #6
plucky duck
macrumors 6502

The iPad is big, in a good way, but not too big where it affects usability. Size and weight of the full size iPad is never an issue for me. Holding it bare was bothersome due to the sharp edges, but a nice Targus Versavue folio case solved that problem very quickly.

I like the Mini's form factor, but not so much it's weight. I guess another Versavue case can solved that problem I have with it. Yes, for me, there's such a thing as being too light to be able to hold and use comfortably.

If the next iPad can incorporate a display technology that utilizes less battery there might be a chance Apple may try to further reduce the weight and thickness of the iPad, but I would rather see enhanced battery performance.

Last edited by plucky duck; Nov 23, 2012 at 07:09 PM.
plucky duck is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 07:08 PM   #7
Breitling65
macrumors 6502

Quote:

hah, did you ever own ipad? what are you talking about?
Dell XPS 8500 i7 Win7
Breitling65 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:03 PM   #8
Awakener
macrumors 6502

Quote:

People carry even larger planners and paper notebooks around all the time.
Awakener is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2012, 11:48 PM   #9
davideotape
macrumors 6502

The mini fits snugly in my smaller dslr camera bag in the front pocket and has some nice tools I can use on the go (easy release, photoshop touch, Vimeo/iMovie so I can import from the camera connector and work wherever. I could never do that w/the iPad, or if I could id have to bring a bigger or separate bag (which I've done but only when I needed to or planned ahead for it).

The minis size is super attractive and if it had the A6x and retina I'd pay more than the iPad for it (and no longer want the OG iPad)
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:30 AM   #10
Booji
macrumors regular

I'm predicting it will have a similar form factor to the Mini and will be at least 100 grams lighter
Booji is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:36 AM   #11
nfl46
macrumors 601

Regardless if it looks like the mini and gets thinner, it'll still be 9.7". Plus the mini will likely gain retina AND it'll be cheaper than the base model 9.7". It'd be hard to resist getting the mini.

Probably within the next 2-3 years, the mini will start to outsell the 9.7".
nfl46 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 07:40 AM   #12
kodeman53
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfl46 View Post
Plus the mini will likely gain retina AND it'll be cheaper than the base model 9.7".
Despite clear explanations (Anandtech) describing why this won't happen, some people persist in posting it as if it is fact.
kodeman53 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:10 AM   #13
Buckeyestar
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodeman53 View Post
Despite clear explanations (Anandtech) describing why this won't happen, some people persist in posting it as if it is fact.
So an IGZO display and more power efficient chip won't make a difference?
Buckeyestar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:50 AM   #14
nfl46
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodeman53 View Post
We shall see. As much as people are criticizing the display, I doubt we'll see it in the Mini 2. Only time will tell.
nfl46 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 08:58 AM   #15
WLS
macrumors 6502a

Soo the ipad retina is going to be more mini like and the mini is going to be more retina like?
You just blew my mind!
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:49 AM   #16
Abazigal
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckeyestar View Post
So an IGZO display and more power efficient chip won't make a difference?
I doubt it would be enough to offset the massive power drain doubling the pixels would cause. The PPI would be excessive (imagine an ipad3 in 7.9 inch form factor).

The only way I think we will ever see a retina ipad mini is if Apple bucks the trend and introduces a 3rd tablet resolution, one that allows it to just hit the retina threshold. This, in conjunction with IGZO screen, should allow it to retain its prized battery life.
Abazigal is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:51 AM   #17
Dweez
macrumors 65816

Quote:
The 9.7" ipad is too big for small spaces.
I respectfully disagree. It's far from "too big".
Old Nov 24, 2012, 09:56 AM   #18
iapplelove
Banned

Quote:

I couldn't disagree more!

I literally take my iPad everywhere both the iPad 2 and 3. It's extremely mobile and really discretely. What did you do 3 years ago when everyone brought big bulky heavy lap tops everywhere?

In 2013 when the real iPad becomes thinner and lighter and with the looks of the iPhone 5 forget the mini

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by davideotape View Post
The mini fits snugly in my smaller dslr camera bag in the front pocket and has some nice tools I can use on the go (easy release, photoshop touch, Vimeo/iMovie so I can import from the camera connector and work wherever. I could never do that w/the iPad, or if I could id have to bring a bigger or separate bag (which I've done but only when I needed to or planned ahead for it).

The minis size is super attractive and if it had the A6x and retina I'd pay more than the iPad for it (and no longer want the OG iPad)
I could say the same for the iPad. Been bringing it with me and fits in between books in bookbags and no problems just holding it under my arms. And really do I need to put a table in my pocket? Uh not really no. That's what the phone is for if your gonna do that you look like inspector gadget lol with phones and tablets coming out your outfit
iapplelove is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:16 AM   #19
davideotape
macrumors 6502

----------

Quote:

I could say the same for the iPad. Been bringing it with me and fits in between books in bookbags and no problems just holding it under my arms. And really do I need to put a table in my pocket? Uh not really no. That's what the phone is for if your gonna do that you look like inspector gadget lol with phones and tablets coming out your outfit
I couldn't say the same for the iPad, in fact I actually *said* the opposite was true.

I can bring this with me when I bring my smaller DSLR bag and not have to deliberately bring my backpack/book bag. Easier portability means it will go with me more places. And the screens larger than the iPhone which is great for quick photo/video editing and for talent releases.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:46 AM   #20
ScottNWDW
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to ScottNWDW
I would like to see the regular iPad get redesigned to the style of the iPad mini and the iPhone 5. I like the Black/Slate versions best, The white ones are nice but I do prefer the black borders on the screen.

Although I do have a mini and actually prefer to use that now over my iPad 3, if the full size ipAd was redesigned with the mini's look I would still upgrade to it. I can see very well where there are certain things better suited for the larger iPad than the smaller and vice-versa. The mini's lack of retina does not bother me in the least. The size/weight etc are most important. The mini is a lot more portable and easier to carry on.

I have used my iPad in all sorts of places and no one has ever blinked an eye. The only times when people did that was when the original first came out. Now that the iPad has sold millions of units it is more mainstream now and there are times when I am at a Starbucks and there are more people on iPads than laptops. I work at Disney World and I am often amazed at how many people are carrying their iPads around on property. Now that there is free wi-fi in all 4 theme parks and all the resorts, I am guessing that the next time I visit the parks on my off day I will probably throw the mini in my backpack along with my camera. I don't think ever I considered doing it all with the iPad 1 or 3. I think peoples usage of the iPad has evolved and it's not something you rarely see anymore, but I see lots of people using them now in all sorts of places. With the smaller size of the iPad mini I'm sure I will see them popping up everywhere as well once Apple can catch up on the demand.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 10:57 AM   #21
Eric8199
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by romanhdz View Post
I'm sorry, but I don't understand why everyone feels that by using an iPad in public, everyone around you will stop what they're doing to stare and talk about how much of an arrogant ass you are for whipping your tablet out. I use my iPad in public all the time (sometimes I even walk while using it) and I'll be damned if I ever caught something glaring at me.

Just a thought.
Where I live, as soon as you get the iPad out, people are bugging you asking "Is that an iPad?" So for me it's not that people think I'm a jerk for having one, its that people want to see it.

That being said, I don't think that will change with the Mini.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:26 PM   #22
Awakener
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booji View Post
I'm predicting it will have a similar form factor to the Mini and will be at least 100 grams lighter
iPhone 5 was designed about 20% thinner and lighter, so it's not difficult to believe Apple could use the same technology on iPad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfl46 View Post
Regardless if it looks like the mini and gets thinner, it'll still be 9.7". Plus the mini will likely gain retina AND it'll be cheaper than the base model 9.7". It'd be hard to resist getting the mini.

Probably within the next 2-3 years, the mini will start to outsell the 9.7".

Many disagree but small tablets will go the way of the netbook. Same happening with small phones. Small tablets will be around for certain applications, but 8.9" and larger will rule for adults as they slim down.
Awakener is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:32 PM   #23
alphaod
macrumors Core

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDFierro View Post
I've been thinking, the consensus is that the big iPad will get a redesign next year. Maybe even something like the mini.

What if it becomes thinner and lighter? Then that could be a really tough choice for everyone. Obviously not as light and thin as the mini, but people buying the mini now might sway back towards the large iPad again.

At that point, the only difference would be screen size and some hardware changes.
I take my iPad mini out all the time. I carry it to check up prices in a store, or maybe read the paper.

Many people have asked about my iPad mini. More than often or not, these same people own an iPad (or even the iPad 3). They look at the the mini and their immediate reaction is it looks and feels great. It's pretty fast, etc.

I mention the screen isn't a Retina, nobody I've spoken to cares. They all think it looks great. And almost everyone has said they will buy one now that they've seen it first hand (you'd be surprised, not everyone has the time to go to the Apple Store to try new products). Next day I've seen many of the these people with their new iPad minis.

It goes to show that many regular folk do not care about the Retina display, and it's the smaller form-factor that concerns with them.

It'll only be tough choice for people who frequent these forums, though I don't even care.
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:39 PM   #24
mattopotamus
macrumors 603

I'll probably skip the next full sized ipad since I have the 4, but definitely grab an ipad mini w/ retina

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awakener View Post
iPhone 5 was designed about 20% thinner and lighter, so it's not difficult to believe Apple could use the same technology on iPad.

Many disagree but small tablets will go the way of the netbook. Same happening with small phones. Small tablets will be around for certain applications, but 8.9" and larger will rule for adults as they slim down.
I think these giant phones are at a peak. I could see apple going 4.3 - 4.5 tops
mattopotamus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 24, 2012, 03:51 PM   #25
Awakener
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaod View Post
It goes to show that many regular folk do not care about the Retina display, and it's the smaller form-factor that concerns with them.

It'll only be tough choice for people who frequent these forums, though I don't even care.
Another thing is that iPad Mini may look okay in stores. At home is a different story. It is a common experience with displays.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattopotamus View Post
I'll probably skip the next full sized ipad since I have the 4, but definitely grab an ipad mini w/ retina

----------

I think these giant phones are at a peak. I could see apple going 4.3 - 4.5 tops
Agreed. Phones can only be so large before they are inconvenient. But as devices become more useful the fascination with small wears off when reality sets in.
Awakener is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad