Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ash211

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Bestbuy or AppleCare? Anyone have any experience with either or opinions on which is better?

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
I would go AppleCare without thinking about it. And if you think you might drop it i'd splurge and upsize it to AC+ just to be safe.

I personally would not let the Best Buy Monkeys mess with any of my stuff. :p

ash211

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2012
Square trade says they will pay to have it fixed if I accidentally damage it..AppleCare sounds like they will just give me a new one?!?!

lyngo

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Square trade says they will pay to have it fixed if I accidentally damage it..AppleCare sounds like they will just give me a new one?!?!

Not true. On his iPhone, not iPad, they sent a friend of mine a new one after he cracked his screen in one day. He had to send in his damaged phone within 5 days. You can also take it to apple and they will write you a check or refund you what you paid there for the damages.

Awakener

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2011
Think about this: AppleCare + deductible is 30% of a base iPad! And if something does happen there's a good chance your getting a refurb. People are better off saving the $$$ for their next new iPad.

poloponies

Suspended
May 3, 2010
SquareTrade is a bit squirrely about their coverage, they give you the impression that they don't set limits but you have to dig to see that they limit recovery to the cost of the device:

"Coverage Amount
For replacement payments: You are covered up to the maximum value you paid for the item. Once we pay out that amount, your Care Plan is considered fulfilled. If you would like coverage on your new item, you need to purchase a new warranty for it.

For Repairs: The Care Plan is good for multiple repairs, up to the maximum value of your item. Once the cost of repairs meets the full purchase price of the item, your Care Plan is considered fulfilled."

So once their costs hit $499 (for the base iPad) your benefits end. Applecare+ has no such limits. It has 2 replacements with a co-pay but if you need warranty coverage in year two they will cover it without limitation.

----------

And if something does happen there's a good chance your getting a refurb.

So what?

The Catalyst

macrumors 6502
Dec 4, 2009
SquareTrade, hands down. Their warranties are competitively priced (and there are also 35% off coupons floating around out there now through Jan).

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
On the regular sized ipad applecare+ is a good idea. Buying it for the mini is just foolish. 1/3 the price of the product that you will probably have for a year and sell. Having AppleCare+ really does nothing for you in the aftermarket either. I would save my money and pay the out of warranty repair if something happens unless you got an LTE 64GB model

Esoom

macrumors 6502
Apr 30, 2010
Colorado
On the regular sized ipad applecare+ is a good idea. Buying it for the mini is just foolish. 1/3 the price of the product that you will probably have for a year and sell. Having AppleCare+ really does nothing for you in the aftermarket either. I would save my money and pay the out of warranty repair if something happens unless you got an LTE 64GB model

LOL, agreed...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.