Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:05 AM   #1
VinegarTasters
macrumors 6502

No! Bendgate is real!

iPhone 5 is prone to bending. It was a buy, now a no-buy

Instead of using Aluminum 6061-T6 (tempered), Apples uses regular Aluminum 6061, which is so soft any stress will bend it. So you can't sit on it, and it
will bend by itself if, internally, there is enough stress from screws and glue.
It will bend at the weakest point, usually the volume buttons because that is
where the big holes are on the outer metal that is holding the integrity of the iPhone 5.

I am hoping they can change to 6061-T6 aluminum. "HOPING" because using it may interfere with the precision of the cuts, which may make it impossible. It may add weight to the device though.

Also, SCUFFGATE is real. Instead of using type III anodizing (hard anodizing), Apple uses instead type II anodizing. Which is why all over the internet your iPhone 5 has these dents and specks.

It is a no sale until Apple uses 6061-T6 Aluminum or 7075 Aluminum, and uses type III anodizing for the outer coat of the aluminum. Or go back to using
stainless steel. I am surprised they didn't catch these problems during prototyping and designing stages.

I think they will only fix it if enough people want them to use the new type of aluminum or anodizing process. I don't think this is a minor problem.

Update:
I've added some links and youtube videos that I found. Hope they are useful.

http://www.tekcore.co.uk/2012/10/10/iphone-5-bend-gate/

From this site:
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1496543
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1465403
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1494118
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1459792
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1452478

Last edited by VinegarTasters; Nov 26, 2012 at 10:58 PM.
VinegarTasters is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:09 AM   #2
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816

wow, quite a knowledgeable post... but sorry for saying this, how I do know you are telling the truth ? how can you tell which aluminium and type of anodizing ?
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:33 AM   #3
Applejuiced
macrumors Nehalem

Where did you come up with all this metal analysis and anodizing information?
Applejuiced is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:37 AM   #4
JS82712
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinegarTasters View Post

Instead of using Aluminum 6061-T6 (tempered), Apples uses regular Aluminum 6061, which is so soft any stress will bend it. So you can't sit on it, and it
will bend by itself if, internally, there is enough stress from screws and glue.
where the big holes are on the outer metal that is holding the integrity of the iPhone 5.

I am hoping they can change to 6061-T6 aluminum. "HOPING" because using it may interfere with the precision of the cuts, which may make it impossible. It may add weight to the device though.

Also, SCUFFGATE is real. Instead of using type III anodizing (hard anodizing), Apple uses instead type II anodizing. Which is why all over the internet your iPhone 5 has these dents and specks.

It is a no sale until Apple uses 6061-T6 Aluminum or 7071 Aluminum, and uses type III anodizing for the outer coat of the aluminum. Or go back to using
stainless steel. I am surprised they didn't catch these problems during prototyping and designing stages.

I think they will only fix it if enough people want them to use the new type of aluminum or anodizing process. I don't think this is a minor problem.
do you not realize that these issues will be addressed in the next version, and it's called iPhone 5S, S for scuff-free.
JS82712 is offline   19 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:45 AM   #5
duneriderltr450
macrumors 6502

Quote:

It is a no sale until Apple uses 6061-T6 Aluminum or 7071 Aluminum, and uses type III anodizing for the outer coat of the aluminum. Or go back to using

Type III clear wouldn't work for the white iphone.
duneriderltr450 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:46 AM   #6
syd430

What I think we are seeing here is a move towards making these products more "disposable" to better reflect the increasingly faster upgrade habits of customers. The obvious benefit of-course being improvements in weight and size.

I am not saying that this is the right approach, or that it won't adversely affect the brand in the long-run, but that it's more of a reflection of buying habits of customers upgrading their products within 18-24 months from purchase.

Why produce a product with the same build materials as a stainless steel watch, when the said products' expected life cycle is far shorter than a watch due to the rapid technological obsoleteness of something like a smartphone.

Again, I certainly agree with what you are saying, just that I suspect that is a conscious decision on behalf of Cook and co to accept the trade off's based on realistic product life-cycle expectations.
  5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:48 AM   #7

OP whats your source on this?

Any proof to backup your claims?
725032 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 01:54 AM   #8
Bako-MacAddict
macrumors 6502a

The whole time I was reading this I had a smile on my face ... Some of us are too much lol . But hey, good information ! Love my black iPhone with no scuff marks and enjoying the aluminum on my phone !

Space Gray iPhone 6 128GB | MacBook Pro 15" Late 2011 |iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi 64GB Gold
AT&T
Bako-MacAddict is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:43 AM   #9
Pakaku
macrumors 6502a

Soon the bending will become an advertised feature. Finally, an iPhone so paper-thin that you can fold it, or roll it up!
Pakaku is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:45 AM   #10
darster
macrumors 68000

And bigfoot is real too.
darster is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 02:48 AM   #11
wikus
Banned

I'm waiting for Steve Jobs to release another stupid statement 'You're holding it wrong.'
wikus is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:01 AM   #12
syd430

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikus View Post
I'm waiting for Steve Jobs to release another stupid statement 'You're holding it wrong.'
You're going to be waiting a while.
  34 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:20 AM   #13
chambone
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
clever..
chambone is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:20 AM   #14
gpat
macrumors 6502a

buy apple, they said
costs more but is durable, they said
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:23 AM   #15
wikus
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpat View Post
buy apple, they said
costs more but is durable, they said
Remember when the iPod Nano came with EasyScratch™ coating?
wikus is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:32 AM   #16
Jtludwig
macrumors regular

Quote:

It is a no sale until Apple uses 6061-T6 Aluminum or 7075 Aluminum, and uses type III anodizing for the outer coat of the aluminum. Or go back to using

Where did you hear all of this nonsense? Everything is xxxgate. What about stupidGate for posts like this?
Jtludwig is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 03:42 AM   #17
ET iPhone Home
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS82712 View Post
do you not realize that these issues will be addressed in the next version, and it's called iPhone 5S, S for scuff-free.
LOL! I love it.

----------

Quote:

Very interesting and I actually believe you .
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:08 AM   #18
Bako-MacAddict
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Really?

Space Gray iPhone 6 128GB | MacBook Pro 15" Late 2011 |iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi 64GB Gold
AT&T
Bako-MacAddict is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:25 AM   #19
northernbaldy
macrumors 6502a

if you sit on your phone, then its likely to break/bend, thats the case with most phones

FFS, do you want the next one made from adamantium?
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:39 AM   #20
duneriderltr450
macrumors 6502

All you people complaining about scratches and stuff on a PHONE, get one of these...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	379579  
duneriderltr450 is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:40 AM   #21
shenfrey
macrumors 6502a

If it bends, just bend it back? Surely the laws of physics also works with the iPhone?
Apple TV (2012), IPhone 5, iPad (4th Gen)
shenfrey is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 04:55 AM   #22
gpat
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Remember when the iPod Nano came with EasyScratch™ coating?
The same as iPod Touch.
Seeing one with more than 3 days of life is pure eyerape.
Old Nov 25, 2012, 05:13 AM   #23
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

Quote:

ANYTHING will bend if enough pressure is applied. Don't buy one, apple won't even notice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jtludwig View Post
....What about stupidGate for posts like this?
I LoL'd for sure on this one!
AFDoc is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:16 AM   #24
Givmeabrek
macrumors Demi-God

Anyone try a bend test yet? Maybe take a phone that has already been damaged otherwise and see what weight it will take to bend. I'm sure Apple has done this..........

Why not actually get the facts before any formal complaining?
Givmeabrek is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25, 2012, 09:22 AM   #25
jetlagged
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneriderltr450 View Post
All you people complaining about scratches and stuff on a PHONE, get one of these...
NO!!! people are complaining that some iphones come out scuff out of the box. they are not complaining that the phone will eventually scuff with normal use. get your fact straight jack.
jetlagged is offline   3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone