Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
I have no idea how my email address got added to this but i keep getting these spam ads from people with apple domains. how do I stop it, not just block it?

Just a note, it's not from someone with an @me.com address, it's to someone (including you) with @me.com addresses. Just report it as spam, and your filter will grab it. Enough of them come through and Apple will probably pick up on the origin and block it as well, but such is the nature of computers and email. They're just guessing likely email addresses and blasting out spam to any and every address they can come up with, regardless of whether it's a valid email address or not.

jW

Drew017

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2011
East coast, USA
Just a note, it's not from someone with an @me.com address, it's to someone (including you) with @me.com addresses. Just report it as spam, and your filter will grab it. Enough of them come through and Apple will probably pick up on the origin and block it as well, but such is the nature of computers and email. They're just guessing likely email addresses and blasting out spam to any and every address they can come up with, regardless of whether it's a valid email address or not.

jW

how exactly do you report a message as spam?

JPM42

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2007
I got the first initial batch, as well, though nothing in the past couple of weeks (crosses fingers).

One thing that might be useful is to make sure you have disabled the "display remote HTML settings" in the Mail application, or the equivalent setting ("load remote images") in Mail, Contacts, and Calendars, in iOS. The reason is that once these images load, spammers can tell if you've opened them, thus knowing the e-mail account is active.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Looks like Dr Oz is back in action, just received another one to me.com address.

Yep, I got one today, and a two twitter emails where a member sent me a message asking if they can post my video (i never heard of them, and I don't do videos). Look at the urls provided its clearly spam.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I have had an @me.com email address for about 3 years.

In the last week, I have started receiving SPAM in this account.

I have never ever used the account to email anyone, and have never signed up to anything with it. The only emails it has ever received is marketing from Apple, until a week ago.

So it seems that Apple have accidentally (or not?) leaked my email address to Spammers.

Has anyone else noticed any such activity?

Tim

This started on my @me account this morning...specifically a diet company advertising some kind of food supplement, and a gift card company...neither of these are outfits I've ever used, or communicated with.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Me too, Dr. Oz in inbox; just forwarded to Apple and ask to adopt their filter.
I guess the spammer want to use the holiday season assuming less people at Apple will take care.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
This brings up a good point... why the heck doesn't Apple have this happen in Mail app also. :confused:
Exactly!
I received it today too, just deleted straight away.
This is all well and good, but I get at least 10 spam messages a day on my .mac account. I've had to remove the address from devices because the constant vibrate and/or beep is absolutely annoying. I would like Apple to have better spam controls.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
I have four me.com accounts and on all four have gotten the dr oz email, 4-5 times on a few of them.

Just started getting them last night through this morning,

whathesaid

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2010
UK
I stuck it into the spam box, so should auto forward to apple. It's a shame the spam filters with iCloud suck so bad.

nanotlj

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2008
I got 7 from this ****ing Dr.oz this morning, each one sent from different email address with the same name "Dr.Oz Diet".
It appears to me that icloud has some serious security issue here. How comes so many emails never used suddenly got spams?

Maybe it is time that Cue got ousted. He simply got too many hypes from the media for the still half-baked icloud.

Cook, clear your ass and fix the icloud, passbook, and maps. Don't Cook half. You need Cook well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.