Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:11 AM   #1
scottrichardson
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ulladulla, NSW Australia
Anyone unhappy with LG Display?

Hi all,

I got my new Air a couple weeks ago, and I have to say that I am somewhat disappointed in my screen. It's the 13" model, with 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD and the i7 2Ghz CPU upgrade.

The screen in mine is an LG/Phillips. When I first got it I noticed it was incredibly yellow - after updating to 10.8.2 it fixed it for the most part. But then I compared it to an in-store 13"model with the Samsung panel and the difference in quality, colour saturation and contrast was clear.

Am I able to ask for a replacement? I work in graphics, web, and print. So colour is somewhat important to what I do.

Scott
__________________
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.93Ghz 32GB RAM, 2 X SSD 840 PRO 512GB RAID 0, 2 x 24" LED, GTX660 2GB GPU. MacBook Air 13" 2012 i7 2GHz, 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM.
scottrichardson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:53 AM   #2
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Here is the thing, there is no such thing as walking into a store and say, Gimme the One with the Samsung Screen! The minimum wage clerk will look at you funny.

The only thing you can do it, if you are still within the return period, Return current, just unhappy you say. Then walk into your local store and play with the displayed. Once you find one you pull a clerk and say, I WANT THAT ONE, I don't want a new-in-box, I wand the one right there, whatever price they have it that day.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 12:45 PM   #3
coldjeanzzz
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
Here is the thing, there is no such thing as walking into a store and say, Gimme the One with the Samsung Screen! The minimum wage clerk will look at you funny.

The only thing you can do it, if you are still within the return period, Return current, just unhappy you say. Then walk into your local store and play with the displayed. Once you find one you pull a clerk and say, I WANT THAT ONE, I don't want a new-in-box, I wand the one right there, whatever price they have it that day.
Aren't the display models all used?
coldjeanzzz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 01:05 PM   #4
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by coldjeanzzz View Post
Aren't the display models all used?

YES.

but if you HAVE to have a Samsung screen, what else are you going to do? Keep returning the dang thing until u hit the jackpot?
Mrbobb is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 03:10 PM   #5
Red Wolf
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Netherlands
I have a LG screen in my Air 2012. In my experience it is great, I have no probs with it. Maybe you can calibrate a bit if it isn't to your liking.
__________________
Air 2012 13" || i7 / 8Gb / 256Gb SSD
Webdeveloper
Red Wolf is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 04:11 PM   #6
danistyping
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Boston, MA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
YES.

but if you HAVE to have a Samsung screen, what else are you going to do? Keep returning the dang thing until u hit the jackpot?
The idea that you could walk into an apple store and buy a floor model is absurd. I want some of whatever you're smoking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
I have a LG screen in my Air 2012. In my experience it is great, I have no probs with it. Maybe you can calibrate a bit if it isn't to your liking.
The LG screen is great if you use the right color profile. Search these forums for the color profile link that was provided...it's an incredible difference.
danistyping is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 05:52 PM   #7
scottrichardson
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ulladulla, NSW Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by danistyping View Post
The idea that you could walk into an apple store and buy a floor model is absurd. I want some of whatever you're smoking.



The LG screen is great if you use the right color profile. Search these forums for the color profile link that was provided...it's an incredible difference.
Ok. I'll give the profile a go first many thanks for the tip
scottrichardson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:24 PM   #8
Mrbobb
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by danistyping View Post
The idea that you could walk into an apple store and buy a floor model is absurd. I want some of whatever you're smoking

I provided A solution. Do you have a solution for someone who really wants a Samsung screen?


If the CEO of Corning stuck to his assertion that making the glass for Steve Jobs the way he wanted was impossible, why, we wouldn't have gorilla glass today. YES WE CAN if we really wanto.
Mrbobb is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:00 PM   #9
NutsNGum
macrumors 68030
 
NutsNGum's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Glasgow, Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrbobb View Post
YES WE CAN if we really wanto.
I like the positivity, but I'm afraid you can't, as the store staff won't allow you to purchase floor models.
NutsNGum is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 07:31 PM   #10
SWPROX
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vancouver,Canada
Well I too have an LG screen mid-2012,and I love the screen ,maybe i dont have sharp eyes or whatever but I find the screen beautiful
SWPROX is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 10:48 PM   #11
JoelBC
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Apologies for being somewhat lazy but I am going on a 15 hour work day and this thread caught my eye...

1. I just purchased a 13" MBA and one of the reasons for purchasing the MBA over the 13" rMBP was i) the LG vs Samsung screen issues and ii) the potential of having retention problems...I therefore decided to wait until the next generation of retinas before taking that plunge.

I scanned this thread quickly only to discover that there appears to be a similar LG vs Samsung screen issue on the MBA as well. Is this correct or have I misunderstood the problem?

2. I would appreciate an explanation as to how to test whether the screen on my new MBA is an LG or Samsung.

3. I would appreciate the URL to the preferred colour profile as well as how to "install it".

4. I would further appreciate someone explaining how to determine which hard drive is in my unit.


Apologies for the questions but it has been a long day...now, back to work!!


Joel



PS. I wounder whether reading these forums is a good thing as well learn about the problems with our devices rather than simply unpacking and enjoying them...food for thought...

Last edited by JoelBC; Nov 26, 2012 at 11:11 PM.
JoelBC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:06 PM   #12
cedwhatev
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Canada
I lucked out with a Samsung screen in my new 2012.. but got the Toshiba SSD. Oh well, it's still twice as fast as last year's model.
__________________
MacBook Air 11" 2013 1.7GHz, 8GB, 256SSD
iPad Mini 16GB iPhone 5C 16GB
TV 3 iPod Nano 16GB 4th Gen
cedwhatev is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2012, 11:32 PM   #13
Bigserver1
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
I have an LG screen, which I thought was fine, but I calibrated mine to be a bit brighter and whiter, and now I like it even more. It's crisp and really bright, with brightness on 12/16 it's really great, and all the way up it's incredibly bright, much more than the standard calibration.

I haven't seen a Samsung screen for an extended period of time, but I'm happy with the screen on my MBA.
Bigserver1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 12:07 AM   #14
SWPROX
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Vancouver,Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelBC View Post
Apologies for being somewhat lazy but I am going on a 15 hour work day and this thread caught my eye...

1. I just purchased a 13" MBA and one of the reasons for purchasing the MBA over the 13" rMBP was i) the LG vs Samsung screen issues and ii) the potential of having retention problems...I therefore decided to wait until the next generation of retinas before taking that plunge.

I scanned this thread quickly only to discover that there appears to be a similar LG vs Samsung screen issue on the MBA as well. Is this correct or have I misunderstood the problem?

2. I would appreciate an explanation as to how to test whether the screen on my new MBA is an LG or Samsung.

3. I would appreciate the URL to the preferred colour profile as well as how to "install it".

4. I would further appreciate someone explaining how to determine which hard drive is in my unit.


Apologies for the questions but it has been a long day...now, back to work!!


Joel



PS. I wounder whether reading these forums is a good thing as well learn about the problems with our devices rather than simply unpacking and enjoying them...food for thought...
What you are talking with respect to screen retention and stuff was in rMBP, MBA has no issues with either LG or Samsung screen,it's just som find the Samsung to have a little more contrast and better color saturation.Enjoy your purchase and trust my advice and don't go looking whether you have an LG or Samsung,just enjoy your product mate And moreover, the new color profile that came with Mountain Lion is pretty good for LG display.
SWPROX is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 01:11 AM   #15
micrors4racer
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrichardson View Post
Hi all,

I got my new Air a couple weeks ago, and I have to say that I am somewhat disappointed in my screen. It's the 13" model, with 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD and the i7 2Ghz CPU upgrade.

The screen in mine is an LG/Phillips. When I first got it I noticed it was incredibly yellow - after updating to 10.8.2 it fixed it for the most part. But then I compared it to an in-store 13"model with the Samsung panel and the difference in quality, colour saturation and contrast was clear.

Am I able to ask for a replacement? I work in graphics, web, and print. So colour is somewhat important to what I do.

Scott
If you work with graphics and print, shouldn't you calibrate your display with a spyder or something similar anyway? I find that no 2 monitors are ever the same even ones that were made next to each other (I try to purchase monitors that were made closely or next to each other for dual monitor purposes and while they are usually close, they still need calibration.)
micrors4racer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 04:21 AM   #16
MacTyper
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: California
Nope, I love my screen..

..
MacTyper is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2012, 10:32 PM   #17
JoelBC
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWPROX View Post
What you are talking with respect to screen retention and stuff was in rMBP, MBA has no issues with either LG or Samsung screen,it's just som find the Samsung to have a little more contrast and better color saturation.Enjoy your purchase and trust my advice and don't go looking whether you have an LG or Samsung,just enjoy your product mate And moreover, the new color profile that came with Mountain Lion is pretty good for LG display.
Great, appreciate the clarification on the LG versus Samsung and, at the same time, great advice...


Joel

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by micrors4racer View Post
If you work with graphics and print, shouldn't you calibrate your display with a spyder or something similar anyway? I find that no 2 monitors are ever the same even ones that were made next to each other (I try to purchase monitors that were made closely or next to each other for dual monitor purposes and while they are usually close, they still need calibration.)
You are correct, no two will be alike and each and every panel needs to be separately calibrated...
JoelBC is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 12:13 AM   #18
crazyxzer0
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
I have an LG screen. Unless its next to a samsung screen, it looks fine to me. Not worth the trouble to try and get samsung screen.
__________________
MotoX Verizon | iPad (3rd Gen) | rMBP 15"(Late 13')
crazyxzer0 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 03:32 AM   #19
msjones
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Nottinghamshire, UK
I too have the LG screen and agree the quality at default is not as good as other MBA models.

However I have been using a colour profile I got from somewhere on this forum and I have to say its made the experience ALOT better.

Download it here and give it a go.
__________________
MacBook Pro / Nexus 4.
InfoSec guy.
msjones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 06:54 AM   #20
scottrichardson
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ulladulla, NSW Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjones View Post
I too have the LG screen and agree the quality at default is not as good as other MBA models.

However I have been using a colour profile I got from somewhere on this forum and I have to say its made the experience ALOT better.

Download it here and give it a go.

Strange, but I cannot get this profile to appear in my Displays profile picker ?!?
__________________
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.93Ghz 32GB RAM, 2 X SSD 840 PRO 512GB RAID 0, 2 x 24" LED, GTX660 2GB GPU. MacBook Air 13" 2012 i7 2GHz, 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM.
scottrichardson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:19 AM   #21
msjones
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Nottinghamshire, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrichardson View Post
Strange, but I cannot get this profile to appear in my Displays profile picker ?!?
It appears in mine as Colour LCD. Do you have two listed? The top one is the apple standard.

__________________
MacBook Pro / Nexus 4.
InfoSec guy.
msjones is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 08:33 AM   #22
Wicked1
macrumors 68040
 
Wicked1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: New Jersey
I noticed the 13" MBA 4gb/128ssd I bought from Best Buy a few days ago, is not as bright as my 2009 uMB screen. I have to keep the brightness up to 60% to equal that of my uMB at say 40-50% but other than the lack of decent storage, I am happy with the unit, although I may exchange it for the 13 MBP only because I need more space and I do not want to carry around an external drive.
__________________
iPhone 5 16GB White
2012 MacBook Pro 13" 2.5/4GB/240GB SSD
Wicked1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 09:07 AM   #23
Seamaster
macrumors 6502a
 
Seamaster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrichardson View Post
Anyone unhappy with LG Display?
Before Mountain Lion: slightly

After Mountain Lion: not at all
__________________
MacBook Air 13" 128GB | iPad mini 16GB | iPhone 4S 16GB | Time Capsule 2TB | Apple TV 3
Seamaster is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 04:27 PM   #24
scottrichardson
Thread Starter
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Ulladulla, NSW Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by msjones View Post
It appears in mine as Colour LCD. Do you have two listed? The top one is the apple standard.

Image
Ah yes, you're right. And yep, it definitely looks more contrasty now - that's great. Actually, colours are a little deeper too which is nice. Definitely much closer to the Samsung one now. I am happy

Any time I have tried to calibrate it using the profile manager, it has ended up looking too blue!

Many thanks!

Scottie
__________________
Mac Pro 8 Core 2.93Ghz 32GB RAM, 2 X SSD 840 PRO 512GB RAID 0, 2 x 24" LED, GTX660 2GB GPU. MacBook Air 13" 2012 i7 2GHz, 256GB SSD, 8GB RAM.
scottrichardson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2012, 05:38 PM   #25
blesscheese
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Central CA
Hey, what do you know? A happy ending!
blesscheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anyone unhappy with their nMP? wesk702 Mac Pro 42 Mar 18, 2014 10:19 AM
iPhone: Currently on 6.1.2 JB; could I go back if unhappy with iOS 7 Beta? Mazda 3s Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks 8 Jun 12, 2013 11:08 AM
I think I am currently apple's most unhappy customer. Many Problems. kathyathy11 MacBook Pro 23 Sep 26, 2012 07:41 AM
unhappy noob needs advice please Undertoker iOS 6 7 Sep 24, 2012 08:01 PM
New unhappy owner of a Mac Air mdanehart MacBook Air 24 Jul 8, 2012 04:05 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:52 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC