Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TeeRom

macrumors member
Aug 1, 2012
I want to do this, but the dumb phone line is with a relative in another state. Do I need them to be present with me to go through this process?

topherg

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
soCal
hey topherg, were you able to successfully do what you were planning to? I am in a similar situation as yours. 2 lines on Family plan:
1. iPhone 4 UDP upgrade available
2. iPhone 4S 2GB upgrade 12/13
I want to transfer upgrade from line 1 to 2, order iPhone 5 on line 2 and just use it there. Unlike others I am not planning to switch it back to line 1. Also, I don't care what happens to eligibility but I want to ensure I keep UDP on line 1.
I have read this whole thread and saw ajm22 and PhoenixMac were able to do it. However, they transferred the upgrade to a dumbphone but mine is a smartphone.
I called 4 times and got conflicting answers about losing UDP.
Has anyone else tried this? What was the result?

Thanks!

Bostonsox, My note 2 hasn't shipped yet so I cannot confirm just yet if it worked. On the website it walked me through picking a device and plan on the line that I transferred my upgrade to. However, the email I received after the order was placed shows all the changes I made where applied to my unlimited line rather than the line I transferred the upgrade to..... I'm starting to get worried that my unlimited could be in jeopardy.

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
Bostonsox, My note 2 hasn't shipped yet so I cannot confirm just yet if it worked. On the website it walked me through picking a device and plan on the line that I transferred my upgrade to. However, the email I received after the order was placed shows all the changes I made where applied to my unlimited line rather than the line I transferred the upgrade to..... I'm starting to get worried that my unlimited could be in jeopardy.

Calm down. It's the same thing that's happened to everyone.

bostonsox

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2012
That's interesting. In my confirmation email, the reference was to the recipient line and not the donor line. In my verizon account, it shows an extension of contract to the donor line which still appears to have unlimited data.
I haven't received my phone yet, so waiting to see what happens after activation.

topherg

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
soCal
That's interesting. In my confirmation email, the reference was to the recipient line and not the donor line. In my verizon account, it shows an extension of contract to the donor line which still appears to have unlimited data.
I haven't received my phone yet, so waiting to see what happens after activation.

Damn..... Now I'm thinking I should cancel. :(

coolkev

macrumors newbie
Nov 27, 2012
confused

I want to do the same thing but I was told as soon as the unlimited line has passed on the upgrade to another line and new phone is activated, Verizon will automatically drop you from the unlimited to the 2 GB?? not sure what to do...

topherg

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
soCal
Didn't cancel my order, my note2 is on the way. I know I mentioned that on my order confirmation email it showed that changes where made to my donor line. On my shipping email it now shows the recipient line. I'll be receiving my phone on the 29th. I'll post back with what happens to my unlimited plan.

fairladyz0r

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2008
I currently have a Family Plan with 3 Lines. Contract doesn't expire for another 10 Months.

Now my question is, Is it possible for me to add a new line to my current Family Plan to purchase a phone in discounted price and use a dumbphone on this new line and cancel data plan?

Will adding a new line to my existing Family Plan allow them to take away my unlimited data?

Thank you.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
I currently have a Family Plan with 3 Lines. Contract doesn't expire for another 10 Months.

Now my question is, Is it possible for me to add a new line to my current Family Plan to purchase a phone in discounted price and use a dumbphone on this new line and cancel data plan?

Will adding a new line to my existing Family Plan allow them to take away my unlimited data?

Thank you.

yes you can.. no it wont take away your UDP

ineoxs

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
Anybody here upgraded to iPhone5 had Talk & Text Plus Data $20 Discounts on the account? Wanted to see if the discount was removed after iPhone5 was added to your account or it's still there.

Jtludwig

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2012
Anybody here upgraded to iPhone5 had Talk & Text Plus Data $20 Discounts on the account? Wanted to see if the discount was removed after iPhone5 was added to your account or it's still there.

Yes it's still there. I thought u returned your phone like a month ago or something?

ineoxs

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
Yes it's still there. I thought u returned your phone like a month ago or something?

Yea, I returned it since reps were telling me the discount might come off too. I didn't want to lose $9 data plan. Planning to order now and give it a try since most of the folks are successful at keeping their UDP plus the $20 off discount.

bostonsox

macrumors regular
Nov 24, 2012
So the experiment is over. I still have unlimited data !!! For others' benefit, here are the steps I took:

1. Transferred upgrade from line 1 (iPhone4) with UDP to line 2 with 2GB data (4S)
2. Ordered iPhone 5 using verizon website for line 2
3. After receiving the device, I activated online without opening the box. I then monitored my unlimited data on line 1 for a day.
4. When all looked good, I opened the iphone 5 and activated it.
5. I then switched my iPhone 4S (which got free from line 2) and activated on line 1 via verizon website.

The unlimited data survived! :)

topherg

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2009
soCal
Hey guys. I too can confirm that the upgrade transfer WORKS!!!! Recieved my note 2 stuck my 4g sim in it from my unlimited line and voilà! I'll still keep an eye on my plan to see if anything changes but as of now unlimited is still there! I didbt use the sim that came with the phone as it might trigger the unlimited drop.

raf66

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
I didn't read all the posts in this thread, so my confirmed "loophole" for unlimited data with Verizon may have already been discussed at length.

My wife and I and both our kids are on VZW. The kids and I have smartphones and we were on the unlimited data plan prior to it fazing out. My wife has an old flip phone that she refuses to give up so she has no data plan.

When I upgraded to the iP5 in September I used my son's upgrade (as he and my daughter had used his parents' upgrades previously:rolleyes:). When the phone was delivered on launch day I called VZW to get everything set up. Obviously the iP5 was tied to my son's phone #, so I'm assuming when the VZW rep activated it initially she did so on his line as she required me to shut his phone off first.

She then explained that Apple was requiring a 24 hr. hold before a phone that was purchased on an upgrade-eligible line and then transferred to another account member's line could be officially activated on the appropriate line. The iPhone then became inoperable (at least being able to use it on the mobile network), and my son and I resumed using our other phones until the following morning, when my shiny new iP5 was officially activated on my line.

Luckily I retained my unlimited plan. This was confirmed by VZW by telephone on two separate occasions and as evidenced by my monthly statements since that time. I believe my son lost his unlimited plan, though neither he nor I really care because he doesn't use a bunch of data on a monthly basis.

I have no idea how many more upgrades/transfers we can do in the future before the unlimited plan goes by-by, but this is how it worked for our family. Frankly I'm happy that I didn't lose unlimited because my normal monthly data usage (at least according to VZW) went from averaging 600 MB/mo. prior to the iP5 to 3 GB/mo. since. I don't know if I'm using 5 times more data per month now that I have the iP5, or if my new 4G LTE pocket computer/phone is just simply a natural data hog unrelated to anything I'm necessarily doing. I'm guessing it's a combination of the two. However, since I'm still unlimited that's one less thing I have to fret about.

steve dave

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2010
Hey guys. I too can confirm that the upgrade transfer WORKS!!!! Recieved my note 2 stuck my 4g sim in it from my unlimited line and voilà! I'll still keep an eye on my plan to see if anything changes but as of now unlimited is still there! I didbt use the sim that came with the phone as it might trigger the unlimited drop.

Does the note 2 have a micro or nano sim? I want to do this with my iphone 5 sim but I think the note uses micro.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
Does the note 2 have a micro or nano sim? I want to do this with my iphone 5 sim but I think the note uses micro.

im fairly certain it uses micro.. i think the ip5 is the only one using nano right now.

----------

I didn't read all the posts in this thread, so my confirmed "loophole" for unlimited data with Verizon may have already been discussed at length.

My wife and I and both our kids are on VZW. The kids and I have smartphones and we were on the unlimited data plan prior to it fazing out. My wife has an old flip phone that she refuses to give up so she has no data plan.

When I upgraded to the iP5 in September I used my son's upgrade (as he and my daughter had used his parents' upgrades previously:rolleyes:). When the phone was delivered on launch day I called VZW to get everything set up. Obviously the iP5 was tied to my son's phone #, so I'm assuming when the VZW rep activated it initially she did so on his line as she required me to shut his phone off first.

She then explained that Apple was requiring a 24 hr. hold before a phone that was purchased on an upgrade-eligible line and then transferred to another account member's line could be officially activated on the appropriate line. The iPhone then became inoperable (at least being able to use it on the mobile network), and my son and I resumed using our other phones until the following morning, when my shiny new iP5 was officially activated on my line.

Luckily I retained my unlimited plan. This was confirmed by VZW by telephone on two separate occasions and as evidenced by my monthly statements since that time. I believe my son lost his unlimited plan, though neither he nor I really care because he doesn't use a bunch of data on a monthly basis.

I have no idea how many more upgrades/transfers we can do in the future before the unlimited plan goes by-by, but this is how it worked for our family. Frankly I'm happy that I didn't lose unlimited because my normal monthly data usage (at least according to VZW) went from averaging 600 MB/mo. prior to the iP5 to 3 GB/mo. since. I don't know if I'm using 5 times more data per month now that I have the iP5, or if my new 4G LTE pocket computer/phone is just simply a natural data hog unrelated to anything I'm necessarily doing. I'm guessing it's a combination of the two. However, since I'm still unlimited that's one less thing I have to fret about.

"he then explained that Apple was requiring a 24 hr. hold before a phone that was purchased on an upgrade-eligible line and then transferred to another account member's line could be officially activated on the appropriate line. "

LOL classic rep. its just the sim needs 24 hours to switch from one esn..to another. on launch day i just asked a rep at apple to get me another sim.. called vzw gave them the new sim # and it worked.

so fyi going fwd in the future (great scott!) just ask for an extra sim.. after you activate it do the swap online/call rep give them the esn or imei # then the new sim #

raf66

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2008
Columbus, Ohio
LOL classic rep. its just the sim needs 24 hours to switch from one esn..to another. on launch day i just asked a rep at apple to get me another sim.. called vzw gave them the new sim # and it worked.

so fyi going fwd in the future (great scott!) just ask for an extra sim.. after you activate it do the swap online/call rep give them the esn or imei # then the new sim #

Thanks BFizzzle. I didn't know that.

jasko

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2006
Hey guys. Got my dad's upgrade coming up on Sunday (12/02/12). We're all under unlimited data right now. I plan on using his upgrade in hopes of doing this thread. Just wanted to clarify how to do this so I don't mess anything up. Is this is what I should do?

1.) Go online and request to update my dad's phone number to iPhone 5.
2.) Wait until I get phone in the mail.
3.) Once phone is received, activate it under my line.
4.) Once this is activated, power phone on and plug into iTunes?
5.) Call Verizon to cancel data plan on my dad's line?
6.) Enjoy iPhone 5 on my line with unlimited data? (dad's data will be at 2GB)

Did I miss any steps here?

Thanks again.

tyler.frost92

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2012
Leonard, Michigan
Hopefully someone can help me out here. Im doin this same process but with an s3. I'm taking my moms upgrade and transferring the s3 to my uld line. Only question is, once I deactivated the s3 from her line and activate it to my line will I still be able to get insurance on the device?

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.