Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xLiKx

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
I successfully exploited this 'loophole' this past weekend. Here's what I did with some possible issues that you might run into:

1) Ordered an iPhone 5 from Apple using in-store pickup. The phone was ordered using a dumbphone line that was eligible for an upgrade. When ordering from Apple I selected the 2GB / month plan.
2) Picked the iPhone up from the Apple store the following day. While at the store I asked an Apple employee about the loophole, but he had no idea.
3) Activated the iPhone soon after leaving the Apple store. The dumbphone line was transferred to the iPhone 5.
4) For about 1 day the iPhone was listed as a 'pending upgrade' or something like that on MyVerizon and the option to transfer the phone was disabled. During this time I just used the iPhone 5 normally, but it had the number previously on the dumbphone line.
5) After about a day the 'pending upgrade' went away and I was able to swap the old dumbphone with the iPhone 5. At this point the iPhone 5 was not associated with any line. I needed to select a data plan for the dumbphone, so i picked the cheapest one ($10/month). I was able to go back and cancel that data plan after deactivating the line.
6) I waited a full 24 hours for the SIM aging. Many people say that you only need to wait until 7 AM EST, but I just waited a full 24 hours. I had the iPhone completely powered down this whole time.
7) Logged back into MyVerizon and did another device swap this time between my old iPhone with unlimited data and the iPhone 5. I needed to enter both the MEID and the SIM ID from the iPhone 5. These numbers are printed on the box. The SIM ID is labeled ICCID on the iPhone box. The website said that I may need a new SIM card, but I did not (presumably because I waited 24 hours). I left the iPhone 5 powered off while doing the transfer.
8) After doing the swap online make sure you power down the old iPhone. You may need to power cycle the new iPhone. When starting back up the phone said that it was activating. It finished activating but still was not able to place/receive calls.
9) I did a complete wipe of the phone. After that it started working correctly.

According to MyVerizon it looks like I still have unlimited data. Hopefully it lasts. There are probably faster ways to accomplish this, but I can at least say that this process did work for me when I tried it.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences to make this possible!

Hi, I'm just curious about step #5. Can I swap it back from their website or did you do it directly from the dumbphone? That's the only step I am not clear about when I get the iP5. Thanks.

dustpan

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
Easy Steps.

Okay guys. So I've been reading this forum for a couple days now and I'm about to give this a try. However, I see that there are so many different ways to do this. Could someone give me an organized way to do this? It would be very helpful! Thanks!

iphone4all

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
Okay guys. So I've been reading this forum for a couple days now and I'm about to give this a try. However, I see that there are so many different ways to do this. Could someone give me an organized way to do this? It would be very helpful! Thanks!

Here is what I did and all steps were completed in a VZW store!

1. I purchased the ip5 using an upgrade to an existing basic phone on a family plan.
2. The ip5 was activated on the basic line, the original basic phone was then reactivated to its original line. At this point the ip5 was automatically deactivated and is no different than an eBay or Craigslist phone. In VZW terms it is not considered 'Customer Provided Equipment' or simply CPE.
3. The ip5 nanosim was replaced to avoid the overnight wait.
4. The ip5 was then activated on my ULD line (same family plan as basic phone) by entering the ICCID# on the box and the new nanosim#.
5. Done...Simple & Easy!

I have had the ip5 since mid-October and even crossed a billing cycle and ULD is still in place!
I know others have posted various methods with success but for me, this is what I tried and it worked.

Hope it helps you out a bit!

ForceMan

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2012

1. I purchased the ip5 using an upgrade to an existing basic phone on a family plan.
2. The ip5 was activated on the basic line, the original basic phone was then reactivated to its original line. At this point the ip5 was automatically deactivated and is no different than an eBay or Craigslist phone. In VZW terms it is not considered 'Customer Provided Equipment' or simply CPE.
4. The ip5 was then activated on my ULD line (same family plan as basic phone) by entering the ICCID# on the box and the new nanosim#.
5. Done...Simple & Easy!

I have had the ip5 since mid-October and even crossed a billing cycle and ULD is still in place!
I know others have posted various methods with success but for me, this is what I tried and it worked.

But now lets say you want to upgrade your basic phone. Can you use the transfer upgrade function on the verizon website and buy the phone for that line? Some people say yes and some people say no. That is where most peoples confusion is.

iphone4all

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
But now lets say you want to upgrade your basic phone. Can you use the transfer upgrade function on the verizon website and buy the phone for that line? Some people say yes and some people say no. That is where most peoples confusion is.

Not sure.

I have heard that if you transfer the upgrade from an ULD line, that it may terminate it right away. And I have also read that it may not.

AppleZombie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
SoCal

1. Purchase Iphone, whether upgrading or adding a new line.
2. Activate phone and get a new number, pick the 2gb plan.
3. Call Verizon Wireless and tell them you want your SIM CARD IN AGING STATUS
4. Wait 24 hrs. Reset Iphone 5 to factory settings.
5. Go to verizonwireless.com, go to switch devices, and activate Iphone 5 on the Unlimited Line.
6. Turn on phone and enjoy.

dustpan

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
Easy Steps.

5. Done...Simple & Easy!

Okay, so after activating the iPhone 5 on your dumb phone line, how did you reactivate the dumb line back to its original?

dustpan

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
1. Purchase Iphone, whether upgrading or adding a new line.
2. Activate phone and get a new number, pick the 2gb plan.
3. Call Verizon Wireless and tell them you want your SIM CARD IN AGING STATUS
4. Wait 24 hrs. Reset Iphone 5 to factory settings.
5. Go to verizonwireless.com, go to switch devices, and activate Iphone 5 on the Unlimited Line.
6. Turn on phone and enjoy.

What happens to the dumbphone line? Does it automatically go back to its original plan? How does putting the sim card in aging status get rid of the 2GB plan?

----------

Just make the switch on verizonwireless.com.

Okay, I'm starting to understand haha. But if the basic plan is already activated on the iPhone, how can you switch it to its original plan? Does it offer that on the website?

AppleZombie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
SoCal
What happens to the dumbphone line? Does it automatically go back to its original plan? How does putting the sim card in aging status get rid of the 2GB plan?

----------

Okay, I'm starting to understand haha. But if the basic plan is already activated on the iPhone, how can you switch it to its original plan? Does it offer that on the website?

Well in my case, I needed that 3rd phone line anyway, so I just kept the 2gb plan.

In your case, once you switch the Iphone 5 to your unlimited phone number, you can also switch the original unlimited phone to the new phone number you got from the Iphone 5. If it's not a smartphone then I assume you can cancel the 2gb plan.

xLiKx

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012

i've been asking about this as well. once you activate the iPhone5 on the dumbphone line, the option to revert back to original dumbphone will already be available on the site?

djdanny

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
I transferred my upgrade (from my UDP line) to a dumb phone line on my family plan and ordered the iPhone 5 online. I got it today and activated it on the dumb phone line and then reactivated the dumb phone. During the whole process, I never had to enter in the IMEI or any other number when I was in the "Activate or Switch Device" page. It was already pre-filled I guess because I ordered online. Is this normal?

Also, when I go to the "Active or Switch Device" for my primary line with the UDP, it's also already pre-filled out with the iPhone 5 information (same as the dumb phone line that it was "supposed" to be for). Is this normal for those of you who have done it all online?

ForceMan

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2012
I transferred my upgrade (from my UDP line) to a dumb phone line on my family plan and ordered the iPhone 5 online. I got it today and activated it on the dumb phone line and then reactivated the dumb phone. During the whole process, I never had to enter in the IMEI or any other number when I was in the "Activate or Switch Device" page. It was already pre-filled I guess because I ordered online. Is this normal?

Also, when I go to the "Active or Switch Device" for my primary line with the UDP, it's also already pre-filled out with the iPhone 5 information (same as the dumb phone line that it was "supposed" to be for). Is this normal for those of you who have done it all online?

so here your dumb phone did not have an upgrade available so you transfered your upgrade that was available from your unlimited line to your dumb phone, you then activated the iphone on the dumb phone line, deactivated it and put the dumb phone back, and then reactivated the iphone on the unlimtied line, is this all correct?

if that is correct.. heres the million dollar question, did you keep your unlimited?

djdanny

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
so here your dumb phone did not have an upgrade available so you transfered your upgrade that was available from your unlimited line to your dumb phone, you then activated the iphone on the dumb phone line, deactivated it and put the dumb phone back, and then reactivated the iphone on the unlimtied line, is this all correct?

if that is correct.. heres the million dollar question, did you keep your unlimited?

I haven't tried reactivating the iphone on the unlimited line yet. I thought I had to wait until 7am the next morning for the sim card to "age" and be available again. I was just wondering if having everything pre-filled out is normal (especially on the UDP line where I transferred the upgrade from)? The third line also with a dumb phone asks me to put in the IMEI number of the phone I want to activate on it when I go to do a new phone activation on that line.

ForceMan

macrumors member
Sep 30, 2012
I haven't tried reactivating the iphone on the unlimited line yet. I thought I had to wait until 7am the next morning for the sim card to "age" and be available again. I was just wondering if having everything pre-filled out is normal (especially on the UDP line where I transferred the upgrade from)? The third line also with a dumb phone asks me to put in the IMEI number of the phone I want to activate on it when I go to do a new phone activation on that line.

not sure as I haven't attempted this yet but could you please come back tomorrow after you activate it and let us know how it goes?

iphone4all

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012
Okay, so after activating the iPhone 5 on your dumb phone line, how did you reactivate the dumb line back to its original?

The rep just entered the info into the computer to activate dumb phone on its line. At that point the ip5 became CPE and the whole account was back to its original state. Then the ip5 was activated on my ULD line.

djdanny

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
You can only do the transfer of the upgrade and purchase at the same time, therefore it needs to be online or with a rep who can do it for you in store. Cannot transfer upgrades online at Apple.

Hoping you can chime in here, but when did this all online, was the ESN/IMEI and all that pre-filled in the "Activate Phone" section in My Verizon? Did you ever have to enter it in for either the dumb phone line that you transferred the upgrade to or the UDP line that the iphone 5 finally ended up on?

AppleZombie

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2012
SoCal
Hoping you can chime in here, but when did this all online, was the ESN/IMEI and all that pre-filled in the "Activate Phone" section in My Verizon? Did you ever have to enter it in for either the dumb phone line that you transferred the upgrade to or the UDP line that the iphone 5 finally ended up on?

I did not have to enter that information because I was dumb and turned on my Iphone5 before transferring to my UDP.......

After I called Verizon to put the SIM Card into aging and reactivated the Iphone 5 into my UDP I had to enter that information....

hotcocoa

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2011
Hi, I'm just curious about step #5. Can I swap it back from their website or did you do it directly from the dumbphone? That's the only step I am not clear about when I get the iP5. Thanks.

I did the swap through Verizon's website (MyVerizon). You will need to enter an ID (IMEI or MEID) from the dumbphone (typically found under the battery). It was pretty easy.

It might be possible to swap directly on the phone by calling a Verizon automated line, but I did it online.

xLiKx

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
I did the swap through Verizon's website (MyVerizon). You will need to enter an ID (IMEI or MEID) from the dumbphone (typically found under the battery). It was pretty easy.

It might be possible to swap directly on the phone by calling a Verizon automated line, but I did it online.

Thank you as well. Seems pretty easy. Can't wait to go through this process tomorrow.

scottywine

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2012
Can you use the iPhone4 if you never had at&t account.I just ordered the phone for .99$

----------

Can you use the iPhone4 if you never had at&t account.I just ordered the phone for .99$

entheos

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
I just ordered a phone online using an upgrade from another "dumb" line...Here is my question...Should I activate the phone when it is delivered? ... Also, should I call Verizon or do it online?

djdanny

macrumors newbie
Nov 8, 2012
not sure as I haven't attempted this yet but could you please come back tomorrow after you activate it and let us know how it goes?

Here's the promised update. I still have ULD on my primary line according to the rep and the "My Verizon" website. Don't ask me for the steps because I tried doing it online and had a bunch of weird things happen. I ended up just calling customer service and a rep helped me with the first part (activating on dumb phone line and then putting the dumb phone back on that line while having the iphone sim go into "sim aging") and the second part (activating the iPhone the next morning after the sim had reset onto my ULD line).

So yes, at least for me, I was able to transfer my upgrade eligibility to a dumb phone that was not yet eligible and keep my unlimited data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.