Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Investor27

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
I'm thinking about picking up the Ipad Mini this weekend as a Christmas gift for my wife, and I wanted to know if there are any issues with this first batch of Ipad Minis that I should be concerned about. I was going to purchase one when it was released, but thought I should wait at least a month to see if any problem arises. Is there any heating, hardware or wifi antenna problems with the new Ipad Mini? Thanks.

OdT22

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2012
We bought three. All flawless, except for one cord that wouldn't charge or communicate. Apple replaced it (the cord) promptly.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
No problems here. Out of the 3 I've seen so far, no problems with the others either.

trvsglr

macrumors member
Sep 20, 2009
My friend and I both got mini's the day they came out. Not had a single problem and I am so glad I sold my iPad 2 for it!!!! It's perfect!!

terminator-jq

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
The only problem with the iPad mini is it's very hard to find a store that has one in stock.

If you plan to get one this weekend, you should start calling stores as early as tomorrow and see if they will hold one for you.

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
The only problem with the iPad mini is it's very hard to find a store that has one in stock.

If you plan to get one this weekend, you should start calling stores as early as tomorrow and see if they will hold one for you.

Ha, yeah. That's seems to be the single most issue, screen preferences aside.

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
I'm thinking about picking up the Ipad Mini this weekend as a Christmas gift for my wife, and I wanted to know if there are any issues with this first batch of Ipad Minis that I should be concerned about. I was going to purchase one when it was released, but thought I should wait at least a month to see if any problem arises. Is there any heating, hardware or wifi antenna problems with the new Ipad Mini? Thanks.

Main issue: people whining about the screen lol

Seriously folks get over it! Love my mini :D

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
Yes, defective screens. If the screen looks hazy, very blurry and looks like a film is covering it, you have a bad screen.

Make sure to look very closely at the screen!

marcperrot

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2012
Canada
Yes, defective screens. If the screen looks hazy, very blurry and looks like a film is covering it, you have a bad screen.

Make sure to look very closely at the screen!

You sure it's not just a case of people forgetting what non-Retina screens look like?

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
My wifi has dropped at Starbucks a few times and just now at home.

Hopefully resetting network settings and manually connecting to my network like I did when my iPhone 5 wouldn't wake connected to wifi does the trick :/

I'm really hoping it passes/isn't hardware. Saw a few threads on it but not a ton. One dude reporting his replacement did same thing

CandyNJ66

macrumors regular
Feb 11, 2009
USA
You sure it's not just a case of people forgetting what non-Retina screens look like?

No, I have seen my friends brother in law's Mini and the screen looked pretty bad! I compared it. He took it and returned it. His new Mini screen is like mine with no extreme blur and filmy haze is the best I can describe it

Plus his had a noticeable noise on the screen when he typed or played Modern Combat etc. as if the screen was too thin?? Mine has no such noise and neither did the display models. Strange!

Investor27

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 8, 2012
Try naming your network, the SSID, if you haven't already. That could be the source of some of the issues with people's Mini not being able to automatically log on to their wireless network.

My wifi has dropped at Starbucks a few times and just now at home.

Hopefully resetting network settings and manually connecting to my network like I did when my iPhone 5 wouldn't wake connected to wifi does the trick :/

I'm really hoping it passes/isn't hardware. Saw a few threads on it but not a ton. One dude reporting his replacement did same thing

terminator-jq

macrumors 6502a
Nov 25, 2012
Even though Apple makes some great quality devices they are not always perfect.

I finally found an iPad mini for store pickup tomorrow and I will make sure to open it before I walk out of the store. I suggest you do the same when you find one. A good checklist is:

1. Make sure everything that should be in the box is in the box

2. Make sure the condition of the charging wire and the actual iPad mini are flawless (no dings on the iPad mini, no kinks in the wire).

3. Turn on the mini. Look at the screen and check the volume. (if you are worried about getting a bad screen, you can compare your mini side by side with one of the Apple store's display units.

4. Ask an one of the Apple store representatives if they have an available outlet. Use this outlet to make sure the iPad mini can receive a charge and the lightning cable charges.

5. Last but not least, use the iPad mini to log onto a local wifi network in the area. Then use safari to navigate to a deap pixel checking site. Save the images and view each dead pixel checking image in full screen and at least half brightness. (this step will check for dead pixels as well as make sure the wifi works).

After all this, you can leave the store knowing you have a good working iPad mini.

-edit: here is a dead pixel check site: http://www.theipadguide.com/content/ipad-dead-pixel-test-how/7171269

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Yeah big issue battery life isn't what they quoted! I'm getting knocking on for 20 hours each full charge it seems to get better. Bloody rediculous if you ask me!!

OdT22

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2012
Yeah big issue battery life isn't what they quoted! I'm getting knocking on for 20 hours each full charge it seems to get better. Bloody rediculous if you ask me!!

That has proven to be the icing on the cake. Very kickass IMO.

If laptops never make this leap, they may end up joining the video cassette player in history.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Main issue: people whining about the screen lol

Seriously folks get over it! Love my mini :D

Good for you, though for me it was a deal breaker. Loved the mini, though was disappointed with the screen. Will just wait till the retina comes out, will be perfect then

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.