Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sthubbar

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
Not a rumor. I may not name my sources, though. The above figures are real.

Menneisyys2,

OK. I went to Dolby's website and submitted a comment asking about this whole licensing issue. Surprisingly, I received a response from Jeremiha Douglas who suggested I download CineXPlayer HD which supports Dolby Audio. A drawback is that it doesn't seem to support RealMedia files.

CineXPlayer HD is only $3.99. If there is a way that they can offer licensed content for this price, it would also seem possible for other developers. Here is the contact info for JD.

Hopefully, you or the GoodPlayer developer can follow up and find out how they can get the same terms as CineXPlayer HD.

Jeremiha Douglas
Associate Product Marketing Manager, E-Media
Dolby Laboratories, Inc.
100 Potrero Ave.
San Francisco, CA 94103, USA
www.dolby.com | jeremiha.douglas@dolby.com

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Menneisyys2,

OK. I went to Dolby's website and submitted a comment asking about this whole licensing issue. Surprisingly, I received a response from Jeremiha Douglas who suggested I download CineXPlayer HD which supports Dolby Audio. A drawback is that it doesn't seem to support RealMedia files.

CineXPlayer HD is only $3.99. If there is a way that they can offer licensed content for this price, it would also seem possible for other developers. Here is the contact info for JD.

Hopefully, you or the GoodPlayer developer can follow up and find out how they can get the same terms as CineXPlayer HD.

I think the reason for CineXPlayer HD's having licensed Dolby support is that they have always had partnership with Dolby, unlike other devs. Dolby's recent, outrageous and, for an average iOS dev, simply not payable demand seems to be more of a revenge / punishment for their being "illegal". CineXPlayer HD, being a long-time, legal partner of them, may not be considered a developer that needs to be punished.

Last edited:

sthubbar

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2012
I think the reason for CineXPlayer HD's having licensed Dolby support is that they have always had partnership with Dolby, unlike other devs. Dolby's recent, outrageous and, for an average iOS dev, simply not payable demand seems to be more of a revenge / punishment for their being "illegal". CineXPlayer HD, being a long-time, legal partner of them, may not be considered a developer that needs to be punished.

OK, if this is the case, can you, or one of your high level contacts try and get some email evidence of Dolby punishing developers. I don't seem able to PM members and hustmobile may not be following this thread.

If we can get some evidence of Dolby punishing developers we can then get some reporter involved and try and put some public pressure on Dolby to be realistic and fair.

Arth7ur

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2012
French localization supported, thanks Pierre for the translation
15.jpg

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Guys, I've posted a major update on the new versions of four players: https://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=16321816

Some of those players have been mentioned here. The article discusses AC-3 drop very thoroughly and even points out that the free(!) MoliPlayer still supports it. (Go get it before it's late!!)

The article, as with most of my other articles here at MR, is certainly worth checking out as it contains a lot of firsthand info you won't find anywhere else.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
GoodPlayer 6.0 released, gesture customization supported

What's New in Version 6.0
1. Gesture customization support added, please check GoodPlayer-->Settings-->"Gestures" and "Additional Gestures" to set gestures

Notice: no AC-3/E-AC-3/TrueHD audio support!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/goodplayer/id416756729?mt=8

----------

This issue should be caused by the AC-3 codec, some DVD files use AC-3 audio. PowerPlayer cannot play file with AC-3 at all from 1.7 version.
Please request a refund.

If the app is not suitable for you, we are okay for the refund.
If the PowerPlayer could not meet your requirements, you could request
the refund. Please contact Apple as soon as possible, since the refund
is a limited time only option provided by Apple. Sorry for the
inconvenience.

Please google for related information. All the refund are controlled
by Apple only. We can only answer app related technical issue here.
Thanks.

Here is one google result for how to request refund:
http://gizmodo.com/5886683/how-to-get-a-refund-from-the-app-store

I just bought PowerPlayer to use on my iPad mini to play some vob files, but can't get them to play.

These files are from home movies that I recently transferred from Hi-8 tape to DVD. The vob files I'm trying to play are copied straight from the DVD. I am able to play these vob files on my PC, and I can import them into Windows Movie Maker. But, after transferring them to my iPad (through iTunes app sync), they do not play in PowerPlayer.

Any info or advice?

Thanks,
Tom

----------

For MP4 with avc and aac, GoodPlayer is better than PowerPlayer now. We will move this mp4 hardare decoding feature into PowerPlayer in the future.

I take it that MP4 files with AVC video and AAC audio are not affected by recent removal from apps in App Store. With this format and codecs in mind, what would be the best app to play them on iPad 3: GoodPlayer/PowerPlayer/something else?

----------

No, GoodPlayer does not support this feature now.
And here is GoodPlayer, not GoodReader :)

Can I use Goodreader to view my documents in iCloud? Like Pages and Numbers docs? I see an iCloud folder in Goodreader, but my docs aren't there.

----------

IvanX

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
I take it that MP4 files with AVC video and AAC audio are not affected by recent removal from apps in App Store. With this format and codecs in mind, what would be the best app to play them on iPad 3: GoodPlayer/PowerPlayer/something else?

Could I get a response to my question please? Also, will hardware acceleration work on 1080p MP4 files?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Could I get a response to my question please? Also, will hardware acceleration work on 1080p MP4 files?

Most players support HW playback. Some additinally support DSP's; for example, It'sPlaying.

You really want to check out my articles here at MR: I've elaborated on these q's in a lot of my writeups.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
It is replied in older post. For MP4 with avc and aac, GoodPlayer is better than PowerPlayer now. We will move this mp4 hardare decoding feature into PowerPlayer in the future

For the new question, hardware acceleration works on 1080p MP4 files too.

IvanX

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Most players support HW playback. Some additinally support DSP's; for example, It'sPlaying.

You really want to check out my articles here at MR: I've elaborated on these q's in a lot of my writeups.

Thanks, but I would like confirmation that GoodPlayer/PowerPlayer does all the things I asked for.

IvanX

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
It is replied in older post. For MP4 with avc and aac, GoodPlayer is better than PowerPlayer now. We will move this mp4 hardare decoding feature into PowerPlayer in the future

For the new question, hardware acceleration works on 1080p MP4 files too.

Thanks. You said you will move it into PowerPlayer, so does that mean that in the future it will not be in GoodPlayer?

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
It will be in GoodPlayer always. "Move" should be a incorrect wording here. We should use "copy".

Thanks. You said you will move it into PowerPlayer, so does that mean that in the future it will not be in GoodPlayer?

----------

For the AC-3 audio issue, here is another fast transcoding tool. MkvТоMp4 v0.222 - rapid tool for repack Mkv to Mp4. http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=163050
It will transcode the AC-3 to AAC audio format.

To Menneisyys2: it looks that MkvТоMp4 is not in your articles (at least I did not find it), maybe you can add it to the roundup

IvanX

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
It will be in GoodPlayer always. "Move" should be a incorrect wording here. We should use "copy".

Cheers! One [hopefully] last question, is the app able to increase volume beyond 100% during playback when both headphones are plugged in and on speaker?

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
Cheers! One [hopefully] last question, is the app able to increase volume beyond 100% during playback when both headphones are plugged in and on speaker?

Only with software decoding. Go for It's Playing if you need volume boosting during hardware decoding.

IvanX

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
Only with software decoding. Go for It's Playing if you need volume boosting during hardware decoding.

Is there a reason for software-decoding-only volume amplification? Naturally, I would want to take advantage of both hardware decoding and volume enhancement functionality together to make the most of the playback experience.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
By MP4/MOV/M4V hardware decoding , all the audio processing is via Apple API, so there is no way to add volume enhancement processing.

Is there a reason for software-decoding-only volume amplification? Naturally, I would want to take advantage of both hardware decoding and volume enhancement functionality together to make the most of the playback experience.

rsxmachine

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2007
there is a solution to the AC3 problem in which 8player has successfully incorporated into their product. Just allow the end user to download the ffmpeg zip file and let us add it to the goodplayer directory via itunes.

This is what 8player has done and it has been approved in the app store because its the end user who decides whether they get ac3 and not the developer. There is a thread about this in the Ipad apps forum. Please incorporate this into your product.

hustmobile

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
Thanks a lot. We will check 8player.

there is a solution to the AC3 problem in which 8player has successfully incorporated into their product. Just allow the end user to download the ffmpeg zip file and let us add it to the goodplayer directory via itunes.

This is what 8player has done and it has been approved in the app store because its the end user who decides whether they get ac3 and not the developer. There is a thread about this in the Ipad apps forum. Please incorporate this into your product.

IvanX

macrumors 6502
Mar 10, 2012
By MP4/MOV/M4V hardware decoding , all the audio processing is via Apple API, so there is no way to add volume enhancement processing.

Is it possible to do decoding of video and audio streams separately? If yes, you can use Apple API for hardware decoding of video and amplify audio with software decoding.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.